FSX--Three Screens and Windows 8.1

sgtoro

I have a computer running an intel I5-4690@4.2GH 16gb Ram Windows 8.1 An Nvidia GTX770 2gb. running three screens at over 5,700 resolution. Most sliders are all the way up and frame rates are around 50 but...... When I first loaded FSX and Sp1 (don't want acceleration or multi player) flying the Cessna 172, all I had to do was size the 2d panel using the mouse on the edges. See Photo #1 The 3d panel was fine but I had to zoom all the way out to make to a reasonable size See photo#3 (which is actually the Baron but all the 3d panels are fine) All was fine until I selected another aircraft! As soon as I selected the Beach Baron (or for that matter any of the MS aircraft, The 2d panel was gone! See Photo#2. When I go back to the Cessna, the 2d panel is gone! See photo#4 and I cannot get it back unless I close and reload FSX. I saved to flights using the Cessna and they are fine as long as I don't change aircraft or select the 3d panels.

Anyone know what the problem is? I have tried moving the sliders all over the place but the problem is still there. Not sure if this is a resolution or Windows problem.

Thanks

Rich

photo4.JPG

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

Gee, I thought I might get a logical reason why I wouldn't want SP2. Like what are the good things VS any bad. I will go look at info regarding sp2 then decide if I need to add it. I was trying to keep FSX as basic as possible to start out using Windows 8.1

Thanks

Rich

#2- because panel transparency set to 0. Set it higher.

No panels (2d) on outer screens when switching.

Stretching a 2d panel over 2 screens in a full screen app can also be an issue when going to windowed mode.

If you want a different aircraft, could always end flight, choose a different aircraft, and start a new flight. As a workaround.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried to change the 2d transparency and no change regarding the problem no matter where the slider was. Problem actually exists in full or windowed mode. No 2d panels in any mode after selecting another plane after initial start up with the Cessna. The only way I can get back the 2d panel with (with the Cessna only) is to shutdown FSX and restart. Ending the flight, does not fix the problem. This is probably the most frustrating issue I have ever had and I have been a flight sim user since it started!

I use the Cessna for training kids in our Museum Learning Center. After the initial FSX install, I selected the Cessna, SFO, and at the end of the runway as my default flight. From that point on, I have not been able to select another aircraft with the 2d panel showing! And when I go back to the Cessna after trying another aircraft, the 2d panel is gone as shown in the photos. If try to start the fight with another aircraft there's no 2d panel! I was hoping I could do that so I could save the it once I got the 2d panel sized. I know I would have to do that for each aircraft I wanted to fly but I can't even get that far. :-(

I think what you could do is restore the default flight (ultralight over KFHR friday harbour), then create different saved flights, but not make them the default flight. (using a different plane in each)

Howto restore the default flight (ultralight over friday harbor).

with fsx shut down, open the fsx.cfg file.

find the line:

situation="name of your saved default flight"

change that to:

situation=

close and save the file.

Start FSX.

your default flight will be back to ultralight over friday harbor.

I think you will then be able to choose any plane and start a flight.

I'm not sure if the way the panel is set up is always saved in a saved flight.

I hardly ever start saved flights, and Always use ultralight over Friday harbour as default flight.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So took your advise and because I could not find the FSX, CFG file, deleted the default flight from the saved flights. That in turn caused FSX to start up back at the default flight. I selected another aircraft and the problem is still there. So much for that cure. In fact the ultralight did not have a 2d panel either!

I really thought that the problem was with such a large screen resolution but when I reduce it way down to where it only shows on one screen, still no 2d panel. Why I got it once with the Cessna I have no idea. I am going to load FSX one more time and if the problem is still there, Gonzo with trying to run with Windows 8!

Deleted and reinstalled FSX with SP1 and 2. Loaded default flight with the three screens (5780X something resolution) and no 2d panels Period! The only way I can see 2d panels is with the resolution set lower that 1280X something. I tried shrinking the 2d panels while in the 1280 by something resolution using the mouse and then changing to the higher resolution and it worked but as soon as I left that aircraft or started a new flight the 2d panels are gone! I did save a flight (didn't make it the default flight) with a good 2d panel and high resolution and when I restarted FSX and loaded the saved flight, the panel was gone. This has to have something to do with resolution but for the life of me I can't figure it out. When flying with 3d panels they are to large and take up most of the three screens. Even when zoomed all the way out.

Archived