New Virtualcol Dash 100/200/300/400

Wing_Z

Thanks for the reference to this.

I've always been wary of this company as their VCs IMO have always looked somewhat childish. However, from what I can see from the piccies of this aircraft they seemed to have upped their game somewhat.

I like the Dash 8 series of aircraft but I would need to know more about the aircraft dynamics etc before making a commitment to buy, and I doubt that the FMC works for the price they are asking. Still, one to keep an eye on as there are hardly any bones thrown to us FS9ers nowadays :(

Dijvid

At $20, this represents great value for money!

I have in some small way supported Virtualcol by buying one or two of their products, and it is clear that they are getting better and better. I rarely fly them, however, but surprisingly I have been eying up their SAAB package, and now this.

I don't think the Q400 will worry Majestic, but kudos to Virtualcol as the Dash 8 market is wide open, and they've hit the nail on the head with this.

In fact, I think that these aircraft have built in ground servicing, and generally their FMC's do something. Bill Stack reviewed a Virtualcol product I think. What I think would help is if Virtualcol were to offer better VC pictures and perhaps a product video as they for their JS31.

However, if you think about the price point, then there's little chance of being too disappointed.

Specs: i7 950 OC 4.0Ghz, Xigmatek Dark Knight Cooler, 6Gb 1066 RAM, Asus P6X58D-E, Seagate 500Gb 7200RPM , Nvidia GTX460 (latest drivers), Corsair GS600 PSU, W7 64-bit, FSX with SP1 & SP2, UTXE, REX2, GEX, Saitek Yoke, Rudders, Throttle, MCP, Switch, & Radio

I have taken the plunge and bought this aircraft now.

First impressions with the Dash 8-100 on just one flight is that the 2D panel is fine as are the sounds and textures. Also, plenty of repaints with the download - something over 140 of them which is a really good deal. On the downside though is the VC which looks as if a certain Mr M Mouse has designed it. The documentation leaves quite a bit to be desired IMO as well - someone who is used to flying airliners will be OK with it but a newbie would struggle a lot.

The aircraft comes with an FMC which as far as I can see is not functional and just uses the basic FS9 flight plan to make it look pretty. On my system the controls seems to be very sensitive but I guess that I will be able to make them more to my liking.

As far as pricing is concerned I couldn't agree more - you get a lot of useful bang for your buck but you need to bear in mind that this is a "lite" version of the aircraft and cannot be compared with Majestic's offering. A word of advice too - look around for the best price deal. I usually buy from the same European distributor [i live in the UK] but their price in Euros converts to about UK£18 whereas Virtualcol will sell it you from their own website for about $20 which converts to about UK£14.

I like the Dash 8-100 so I plan to do some mods with this aircraft just for my personal use and hope to notch a lot of air miles with it.

Dijvid

Looking at the screnshots, it looks like a typical Virtualcol-made simulation, good-looking models, good-enough looking panel, not very detailed but pretty good looking VC, no in-depth systems simulation, but with some type-specific systems and characteristics modeled, I wish I knew how it flies though. That translates into pretty good stuff for those not deadly serious about systems complexity, or about this specific type of aircraft or for those who are happy with this level of detail, as long as a more advanced version is not available, and I fall into the latter category, which is why I say no to this particular product, as I believe my current fleet of Dash 8s is better, even though only my Dash-8-300 has VC. My -300 is the one from PSS, the -100 and -200 are the Dreamwings models (using the PSS panel) and I use this freeware Q400.
kk2Hq8Xj_o.jpg

Guest Sascha66
I use the Majestic Dash-300 which is really excellent, bt not available anymore I think. The Aerosim Dash-400 is also not bad. I bought the Fokker 50 from VirtualCol and was very disgusted to find that all screenshots had come from the FSX version and the FS9 was really below par for a payware product.

The Aerosim Dash-400 is also not bad.

Agreed, I own the Aerosim Propliners Collection, but I retired the Q400 from that package in favor of the freeware one available at LHSimulations. It has many more systems modeled than the Aerosim one, even an FMC. It doesn't have a VC though.

I bought the Fokker 50 from VirtualCol and was very disgusted to find that all screenshots had come from the FSX version and the FS9 was really below par for a payware product.

Huh, interesting, I've always regarded that simulation as being one of the best Virtualcol has released so far (of the ones that I own). But hey, there is no accounting for tastes. ;)

kk2Hq8Xj_o.jpg

Has anyone flying the LH Simulations Q400 noticed the switches for the pitot heat are backwards? I downloaded this aircraft a few days ago after reading this thread. I love it. But every single time I fly the plane with the pitot switches on I lose my airspeed indicator. Then the auto voice repeats "stall stall stall' over and over again. As soon as I turn the pitot switch to off I then have my functioning airspeed indicator again. And the "stall" voice stops.

I purchased this package over the weekend and found it to be a great value. These planes are not "systems heavy" on the panels, and the FMS is rudimentary. The necessary gauges are there and functional. The panel layout is very good, and the VC is quite good in each variant at the price.

You need to be a little more specific about what "close to the real thing" means.

This is after all a 2D pixelated representation in a $50 PC game ;).

For this model, you do need to provide a little assistance yourself, in the suspension of disbelief.

I own that package as well. Nothing to blame in reference to the pricetag. The Q 100 flies like a charm. But how the heck do you land the Q 400? In all possible configurations according to the checklists this plane does not slow down once reached the threshold of the runway. As there would be some magic power to avoid the engines to go on idle. Instead they spool up a bit to avoid the plane to touch down. This happens as well on manual flight. Engaged the Virtualcol support but no answer so far.

I have noticed that also flying this Q400. On final approach the engines have to be almost at idle. Since I have never flown one in real life I don't know if that is accurate or not. And as I stated a bit earlier I think the pitot heat is modeled backwards too. If I have the switches on I lose my airspeed indicator.

bam1220, I've tried to replicate the problems you're experiencing with the freeware Q400, and...I can't. All seems to work fine in my case. The pitot switches are not backwards, and they do not mess with my AS indicator whatsoever, nor do any stall warnings go off upon their activation. I'm sorry I can't do more to help; I suppose you haven't modified that package at all, right? Can you provide some screenshots showing the airspeed indicator problem?
kk2Hq8Xj_o.jpg

I haven't modified anything other than a few settings in FSUIPC to make my Active Sky 6 look better. Maybe it has something to do with that. I did turn off "add additional icing in clouds" but it didn't make a difference. Thanks for the reply though. Honestly I have now gone back to flying the HJG DC9-30 and all is well.

Archived