Ducks

jankees

Way back in the late 60's or early 70, I don't recall the exact year now (I've slept since then! Sue me :) ) my father took me to Reno, like every year, for the Air Races. There was a very mice Duck there, with a wing-walker, performing aerobatics, etc. Doesn't look easy with that immense float down there....any way, they came down inverted for the wing-walker to reach "up" and cut through a ribbon held up on two tall poles either side of the runway in front of the stands. They had done it before, they were kinda a fixture at airshows. As they were just about to reach the ribbon, they caught a gust, and before the pilot could react, the upper half of the wing-walker was left as a red smear on the runway, plane, and pilot. The pilot, who was a very close friend of the wing-walker, was blinded by the blood spray, but had the sense to PUSH the stick, not pull. Obviously, he was in shock, totally out of it. Lucky for him, Mr. Robert A. "Bob" Hoover was way up above in the P-51 given to him, and completely supported, by Rockwell International named Ol' Yeller. Bright yellow bird, easy to see during airshows.

Somehow, someway, Mr. Hoover had seen what happened, and seemed to magically appear on the Duck's wing. Inverted, just like he was. Didn't see him fly down, he was just there. He talked the man back upright, and around for landing, running both their checklists, basically flying and navigating two planes at once. He stayed with the man till he was safely down, and slowing on the runway, then was gone again. I swear, to my dying day, that Mr. Hoover is pure "magic in a plane".

Needless to say, the Duck's pilot climbed out his bird, and walked away, never looked back. He sold the plane and retired, that day, at Reno. I can't say I blame him at all, either.

Sorry, that's my DUCK memory. Other than that, fantastic pics. very nice indeed, and the spray on landing is wonderful! Thanks for a enjoyable post!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I really like this one! (And the rest.)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Duck/ss15772.jpg

By the way don't let one of Jan's dogs in the water with it.

Cheese War Enthusiast.

Archived