Unknown Ghost folders on "C" Drive

rhodges

I have almost 300 file folders on my "C" Drive that have appeared from an unknown source.

Name examples:

1a73ede68382b425ae3f2b

fee433929e7eb729e7b928ed048482

Dates modified run from June 25, 2014 to January 17, 2015. It is possible that I missed one that may have been earlier, or later, but I believe all are from June, 2014 through January, 2015. I can't wonder if there were earlier which were removed by the same unknown sources.

All folders appear to be empty although I did not check all of them.

I run two computers side by side. These unknown folders originate on the primary computer in which I run FS9 and FSX. No such files ever show up on the secondary computer.

Both computers are running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium. Both are on a home network, so have access to the internet.

Seems that long ago I saw posts regarding these folders but I don't seem to locate them now. Can anyone tell me anything about them and is it safe to just go ahead and delete them and is there a way to prevent getting them? It is a bit of a nuisance to have to scroll through them to find active files or folders.

RTH

Are the folders located in the root of your c: drive and do they have the "hidden" attribute?
System: AMD 1055T hexacore running at 3.8 on air, 16 GB Corsair RAM, Sapphire Radeon 6870, dedicated 256 GB Crucial SSD for FSX and P3D, 3 x 22" monitors using Eyefinity, Saitek yoke, throttles, and pedals

• 4 months later...

This http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1752853/folders-long-random-words-letters.html

says that they are generated by Windows update and can be deleted.

It says you can also use "Disk Cleanup" to remove them. That's what I would do. Let Windows do it, so it can't get confused... ( :)! )

Actually, I would have a look in CCleaner (from Piriform) if I can use that to remove the folders. I start CCleaner and clean with it almost every day.

I don't have such folders. And I don't use Disk Cleanup much. So maybe ccleaner removes them. I couldn't see a setting for it. But here's a snapshot of the things I have checked on in CCleaner.

CCleaner.JPG

Maybe the folders get removed on my computer automatically by windows though. Seems to me like that should be an option...

At least now you know what causes it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived