Build your own GPS and Autopilot panels

Mark Hurst

Those who followed my

may be interested to know that I have designed two generic panels using the same methods and I have written a detailed guide about how to do it. Because the most challenging part of the build is to cut the acrylic (Perspex) panels I have had some of these manufactured professionally and you can buy them from me if you want a quick-start build. If you want to completely D.I.Y. from the ground up you can buy the guide on its own in the Kindle store for the miserly sum of £1.48 ($2.25).

The price of a quick-start kit for either the GPS+ panel or the Autopilot+ panel is £25 plus shipping. Shipping costs £3.70 to the UK mainland and £12.95 worldwide (with some exceptions - please ask) and the shipping price will cover one or two panels. UK orders are shipped 1st Class, international orders via Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed, which has a 5-7 working day delivery target.

A quick-start kit comprises two laser-cut acrylic sheets (front and rear), with the construction manual supplied by email. You can download the graphics templates and LINDA library from the Almost Aviation support forum. The manual is essentially the Kindle eBook without the sections on cutting and drilling the acrylics. It contains a complete component list with links to suggested suppliers and specification sheets, as well as detailed instructions about how to wire up the panels and make them work in FSX.

Here are some videos introducing the panels, or you can click the banner in my sig to find out more.

I'm not selling fully-built panels, so I should say that building one of these will require that you have a bit of 'hobbyist' streak. You will need a registered FSUIPC but you won't require any programming skills or hardcore tinkering to set one of these up. I will be happy to answer any questions, either here or over in the support forum, which you can find if you click on the link in my sig.

I have attached a picture of two finished panels built with the laser-cut acrylics.

2.jpg

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hi Mark

I'm building a cockpit sim for C172 and will like to have these.

Great! I am still wavering over the costs of a kit, but for now a comprehensive DIY kit (you solder and print your own graphics) for one panel will be available for £113. I may try offering a pre-soldered kit but that's not going to go for less that £145. Of course you can just buy the acrylics from me for £25 and source everything else yourself! Or enter the competition...

Have a look at the support forum (click the banner in my sig) - it's still evolving but we have a few out there building now.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived