Joining a virtual airline

boomtisqwerty

You must decide what you are looking for. Do you want a highly structured, authoritarian airline that requires you to fly a limited number of aircraft types, file predetermined routes using detailed flight plans, VATSIM ATC on every flight, and demanding specific number of flights per month to remain a member? Or would you prefer a more casual system that doesn't require online ATC, let's you choose what kind of aircraft you'll fly, and has more lenient participation standards?

Some VA's focus on FSX, others FS9, and there are a few that invite all the major flight sims. You can usually determine what kind of organization it is by looking at its requirements and, if available, the pilot's manual for operations. If you want online ATC, you'll need to get a headset with microphone, for sure. Many VAs require pilot report software like ACARS, a program which runs in the background and records detailed information about your flight, and makes it easy to report online. The free or paid version of FSUIPC may be required as well.

What you always must have is knowledge of how to fly your chosen aircraft, and skills for takeoff, landing, navigation, fuel management, etc. Many VA's have training programs, but their purpose is not to teach you the basic skills of airmanship.

I fly US Air Force Virtual, a military VA, and MaxFreight, both of which focus on enjoyment and fun, and less on highly structured procedures and ranks.

Thanks for the reply. Wow I didn't think that it was all that complex. I would prefer to fly in the more laidback VA's. I do have my fair share of aircraft on my FS9 that I know inside and out. I have seen MaxFreight before and was thinking about joining only about a week ago but was drawn away by their aircraft. You see, i'm all up for flying 747's and C130's but I prefer the 'low and slow' flying. It's less stressful and you don't have to focus on a million computers at once meaning that you have plenty of time to take in the scenery around you. Plus, with a 747, it's the plane flying itself, not you.

What would really make my day is a VA which does short island hops in single engine planes like the Cherokee or Cessna. Have you seen any of those around. I have had a browse but can't find small aircraft, just turboprops. Any ideas? Thanks,

Ryan

Hi boomtisqwerty, in looking for a virtual airline, you've come to the right place. There are so many to choose from within FSX. I am currently flying for Emirates Virtual Airlines as well as Qatar Virtual, and i'll tell you; they are both amazing. On the other hand; for smaller aircraft, you might check out Mountain Air Virtual, they seem to fly anything from single engine Cessna 208s to Boeing 767s. I would suggest; if you are looking for realistic operations, to check out Emirates Virtual, as they have a good community and operations are made as realistic as possible (stringent fuel management, landing speed etc). But if you are looking for more laid-back, I would have to suggest either Global Virtual Airlines (DHC6s to 747) or Mountain Air. If you need anything, let me know

Thanks for the reply. Wow I didn't think that it was all that complex. I would prefer to fly in the more laidback VA's. I do have my fair share of aircraft on my FS9 that I know inside and out. I have seen MaxFreight before and was thinking about joining only about a week ago but was drawn away by their aircraft. You see, i'm all up for flying 747's and C130's but I prefer the 'low and slow' flying. It's less stressful and you don't have to focus on a million computers at once meaning that you have plenty of time to take in the scenery around you. Plus, with a 747, it's the plane flying itself, not you.

What would really make my day is a VA which does short island hops in single engine planes like the Cherokee or Cessna. Have you seen any of those around. I have had a browse but can't find small aircraft, just turboprops. Any ideas? Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

If you're 18 or older, have a look at Platinum Airways. We apply the Open Skies principle, which means that you can fly the mission of your choice with the aircraft of your choice at the time of your choice. We are offline by default, but are also affiliated with VATSIM.

Stijn

--

Stijn

Honorary President, Platinum Airways

Ryan,

Here at Soar Virtual, we have aircraft ranging from a Cessna 208 to a Boeing 747. We primarily do short to medium Island hops along with western United States. like KMIA to MYNN etc... We also are extremely laid back and are members of the Flight Unlimited Premiere Virtual Airline Community. Check out out!

http://soarvirtualairlines.net/

Thomas Hawksworth CEO of Soar Virtual Airlines

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Specifically I was looking for flying in FS9 and all of these suggestions seem to fulfil that. I will firstly choose the VA that has some good aircraft that I am into and I will then make my decision. Will have a visit to all of these VA sites and get back to you in a bit. Thanks,

Ryan

Archived