Is this PC the right one?

Hi

I'm ready to buy a decent system to run FSX and i'm very excited about it. I'm willing to spend in the region of £1,500 ($2,250) so its very important to me to get this right so I hoped someone who is more technically minded than can advise if this system I'm looking at will do the job for me.

I want to run 3 monitors, I have Saitek instruments, and want to include Traffic X, Active sky next, London Heathrow and other scenery add ons, and really would like a really good frame rate so I have FSX running as smoothly as possible.

This is the PC that has caught my eye, Is it the right one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-High End FSX PC which supports multi-monitor

-Asus Z97 Motherboards [Asus Z97-P, 4 SATA 6Gbps, 1 PCI-E M.2, SATA RAID, ATX]

-Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT professionally Overclocked to 4.6GHz

-8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz

-4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX

-250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD

-Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit

I'm a little concerned the Motherboard does not support SLI or crossfireX. Is this necessary.

Also Ive read on forums that I need to support Eyefinity for multi monitors but these specs don't mention these.

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance

Corsair Obsidian 550D Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT pro OC'd to 4.6GHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD3XS Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 750W Corsair RM PSUMicrosoft Windows 7 64 bit

I have just learnt that this will only support 2 monitors. Suppose this will have to do as going to 2 graphics cards and a better motherboard will get very costly
Corsair Obsidian 550D Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT pro OC'd to 4.6GHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD3XS Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 750W Corsair RM PSUMicrosoft Windows 7 64 bit

The GTX 970s all support up to 4 monitors. Most have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 Display Port.

If your monitors don't have HDMI or DP inputs, then adapters will be required.

Your supplier should have them.

For best FSX performance, put both Windows and FSX on the SSD.

If you can swing it, a small(120-128GB) SSD for Windows and other apps, a larger(240-256GB) SSD for FSX, and a large mechanical drive for storage and backup is ideal.

I don't think that ASUS M.2 slots are bootable, but, a 256GB Samsung XP941 would be great for FSX.

IOW: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO for Windows, the 256GB Samsung XP941, or, 250GB Samsung 850 EVO for FSX and a 1TB or 2TB WD Black. Note that the WD Black editions have a 5 yr warranty vs the 2-3 years on the generics.

The rest of your system is a known good performer.

Just make sure you get a good case, with excellent cooling, and a good CPU cooler...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

The GTX 970s all support up to 4 monitors. Most have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 Display Port.

If your monitors don't have HDMI or DP inputs, then adapters will be required.

Your supplier should have them.

For best FSX performance, put both Windows and FSX on the SSD.

If you can swing it, a small(120-128GB) SSD for Windows and other apps, a larger(240-256GB) SSD for FSX, and a large mechanical drive for storage and backup is ideal.

I don't think that ASUS M.2 slots are bootable, but, a 256GB Samsung XP941 would be great for FSX.

IOW: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO for Windows, the 256GB Samsung XP941, or, 250GB Samsung 850 EVO for FSX and a 1TB or 2TB WD Black. Note that the WD Black editions have a 5 yr warranty vs the 2-3 years on the generics.

The rest of your system is a known good performer.

Just make sure you get a good case, with excellent cooling, and a good CPU cooler...Don

Thanks for reply

I understand most but you are much more technical.

So you say I should change motherboard for the Samsung, can I ask what bootable is?

Also I think you mean any of the 3 SSD's are ok to use or is their a preferred one?

I take it you think I should change the motherboard, and the SSD and HDD but the graphics are fine and the processer are ok.

It advices a 500W PSU, Is this ok or should I go 650W?

After re reading I think you mean get 2 SSD's?

1 Small SSD for Windows and other programs. 120-128GB should be plenty.

1 Larger SSD for FSX alone. 250+GB depending on addons etc.

1 or 2 large mechanical drives for Storage and Backup purposes.

3, or, 4 drives total.

The motherboard you specced is fine.

"Bootable" drives are required to use as Operating System(Windows) drives.

Many motherboards that have the M.2 slots won't boot from those drives.

When you start your computer, it looks for the "Boot" instructions where your Operating system is installed. Generally on your "C:\" drive.

Many motherboards have M.2 slots that are enabled after Windows starts, not initially.

Not enabled initially = not usable as Operating System(Windows) drives.

A 500w PSU is the minimum recomendation for a GTX 970.

I usually add 10%(550w+) for a normal system. 20%(600w+) for an overclocker...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

ok great

So the motherboard is fine but you suggest having 2 SSD's to separate Windows from FSX. I will also try to configure a 600W PSU.

Is it totally necessary to have 2 SSD's or would I get away with 1 if it is too costly for me?

Also Id like to ask would this system be able to run sliders at the high end, maybe 80% or is that asking a lot of the system.

One other thing is the multi monitor set up. Ive been told that I should buy a system that supports eyefinity. Does this system support eyefinity? Will the monitors run easily just by plugging them in?

sorry one more thing. For an extra £20 I can have a motherboard that supports SLI and crossfire X which ive been advised is better? Is this necessary?

1 SSD for both Windows and FSX is OK. Install FSX to a custom Folder. ie: C:\FSX.

With a good overclock, 4.5GHz+, that system should do very well.

Traffic, Autogen, and, Weather settings, make the biggest impact on performance.

Pretty much everything should be OK at "Ultra High", with a few specific items backed off.

Eyefinity is an AMD technology. AMD cards struggle with clouds and transparencies in FSX.

The GTX 970 uses NVidia's similar "surround" technology for up to 4 monitors.

NVidia GPUs are recommended for FSX. They simply perform better.

The SLI/XFire motherboard is only going to be necessary if you intend dual video cards to assist with extreme resolutions. Keep in mind that SLI/XFire do NOT scale well with FSX.

1 SSD for both Windows and FSX is OK. Install FSX to a custom Folder. ie: C:\FSX.

With a good overclock, 4.5GHz+, that system should do very well.

Traffic, Autogen, and, Weather settings, make the biggest impact on performance.

Pretty much everything should be OK at "Ultra High", with a few specific items backed off.

Eyefinity is an AMD technology. AMD cards struggle with clouds and transparencies in FSX.

The GTX 970 uses NVidia's similar "surround" technology for up to 4 monitors.

NVidia GPUs are recommended for FSX. They simply perform better.

The SLI/XFire motherboard is only going to be necessary if you intend dual video cards to assist with extreme resolutions. Keep in mind that SLI/XFire do NOT scale well with FSX.

Ok. I'll prob just stick with the 1 SSD.

Really appreciate your advice. Thank you

Just noticed your PC specs. Looks impressive. Does everything run how you want it. Do. You encounter any problems with a system that good?

Just noticed your PC specs. Looks impressive. Does everything run how you want it. Do. You encounter any problems with a system that good?

Even at 5Ghz I can't come close to maxed out. As I mentioned previously, Traffic, Autogen, and, Weather settings, have to be carefully manged. I use "0" road traffic, 20% boats-ships, and dependeing on what/where 25-75% AI. I have numerous saved fsx.cfg files with unique descriptive names. Depending on the type of flying I intend, I can open the one I want in notepad and Save As(all files) fsx.cfg. No tweaking necessary.

I do the same with my scenery.cfg.

Most of those are tweaked to provide 30fps locked. Backed off for extremely detailed airports and/or planes. Cranked up otherwise.

It takes a lot of work, but, IMO, was well worth the effort..

I do encounter an occasional stutter when pushing hard, but, I'm not that finicky...Don

Even at 5Ghz I can't come close to maxed out. As I mentioned previously, Traffic, Autogen, and, Weather settings, have to be carefully manged. I use "0" road traffic, 20% boats-ships, and dependeing on what/where 25-75% AI. I have numerous saved fsx.cfg files with unique descriptive names. Depending on the type of flying I intend, I can open the one I want in notepad and Save As(all files) fsx.cfg. No tweaking necessary.

Most of those are tweaked to provide 30fps locked. Backed off for extremely detailed airports and/or planes. Cranked up otherwise.

I do encounter an occasional stutter when pushing hard, but, I'm not that finicky...Don

Sounds great.

To be honest, the system I have at moment has been struggling lately. Crashing half way through 2 hour flights, struggling to hit 20fps most of the time since I added Traffic x and Active sky Next, both at low settings. When I added Heathrow extreme it basically got so frustrating, I was not flying as much as I wanted to. It isn't a gaming PC. Therefore I will be like you, I wont be picky with minor glitches.

Ordered 3 asus 21.5" monitors today and I'm going to order the PC tomorrow (signing my life away with it) with the original specs I posted.

Cant bloody wait.

Thanks again Don

Paul

Don

I came to order PC and guy said that for 4 monitors he would advise 2 of the graphics cards (GTX970) as he says 1 graphic card would run 4 but the frame rate would considerably drop which is why they advise 2. I wouldn't want this to happen but its going to up the cost a lot.

Is he just pushing another graphics card on me or should I accept his advice?

Many members are successfully running 3 and 4 monitors on a single GPU.

I'd suggest you get a good SLI/XFire capable motherboard and one GTX970.

Once your sim is up and running then GPUz can monitor your graphics card and log it if you want. Very useful to tell if your Video card is being pushed near it's limit. MSI Afterburner is also a good tool. If you are seeing consistent loading at 95%, or, more, then consider adding another identical card. Same mfg, same part number, and set up SLI.

Because SLI doesn't scale well in FSX, managing your sliders may be the best alternative...Don

Many members are successfully running 3 and 4 monitors on a single GPU.

I'd suggest you get a good SLI/XFire capable motherboard and one GTX970.

Once your sim is up and running then GPUz can monitor your graphics card and log it if you want. Very useful to tell if your Video card is being pushed near it's limit. MSI Afterburner is also a good tool. If you are seeing consistent loading at 95%, or, more, then consider adding another identical card. Same mfg, same part number, and set up SLI.

Because SLI doesn't scale well in FSX, managing your sliders may be the best alternative...Don

OK don. Ill try 1 first. Just spoke to him again and he rekons there is an issue with the 970s that they would max out with FSX and 4 monitors but I rekon Ill go with your way first.

Ill upgrade MB to one that supports SLI and upgrade PSU to 750w in case I get another card.

He said one GTX980 Card would be fine but they are double the price

Across the board, with extreme resolutions, in intense games, the GTX 980 is 5-15% faster. IMO, not enough faster to warrant the additional $200. Doubling the cost of GTX 970s, if SLI becomes necessary, will give a much larger performance increase.

Maybe someone who has added a 2nd high-end card in SLI can chime in and give more accurate info on what SLI actually gives to FSX performance...Don

Across the board, with extreme resolutions, in intense games, the GTX 980 is 5-15% faster. IMO, not enough faster to warrant the additional $200. Doubling the cost of GTX 970s, if SLI becomes necessary, will give a much larger performance increase.

Maybe someone who has added a 2nd high-end card in SLI can chime in and give more accurate info on what SLI actually gives to FSX performance...Don

Ok thanks very much

Ok I've ordered it so I thought I'd post the specs. I ended up going with the 2 Graphics cards even though I was reluctant on cost and believed your advice on just having one. Hopefully it should be more than enough.

-High End FSX PC which supports multi-monitor

-Corsair Obsidian 550D, Black, Aluminium/Steel

-Motherboard [Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX, 4 SATA 6Gbps, 1 PCI-E M.2, SATA RAID, ATX, SupremeFX]

-Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT professionally Overclocked to 4.6GHz

-8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz

-2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX

-250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD

-3XS Customised Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 quiet edition fans

-750W Corsair RM, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold PSU

-Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit

Also ordered 3 monitors: 23.6" Asus VS247HR LED Monitor Slim HDMI/DVI/VGA 1920x1080 250cd/m², 50M:1 2ms Black

£2076 ($3208) lighter but you only live once.

Ill let you know how it performs when all set up

• 1 year later...

Hi Paul,

You never updated this thread with the final results and I am on tenterhooks!

How did it pan out, performance wise? I am looking to retire in the near future

(wife permitting) so I will be looking to get myself a top spec PC to while away the hours

flying on.

Would love to hear how you got on. It would be nice to see a pic of your 3 screen system too.

cheers

Stinger

Archived