QANTAS Boeing 747-400 (Last Flight)

ire

Hi, I hardly ever send in anything to the Forums, but I thought this bit of news was noteworthy.

It was announced that the First QANTAS Boeing 747-400 (that flew fron London to Sydney Non-stop) will make its last ever flight on Sunday 8th March.

It was advertised the Aircraft will touch down at the Albian Park Regional Airport at approx 8am Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time.

It was also announce that if the weather conditions weren't favourable for the Boing 747-400 to land it will be delayed or postponed to another date.

I hpe that this date can be put up somewhere so that flightsimmers and aviation enthusiasts can travel to the airport and see this aircraft land.

If it lands on the northern threshold end of the runway it will be similar to landing at the princess Juilana Intl (TNCM)!

Regards, IRE

*phew* Based off your title, I thought that Qantas was retiring its entire 747 fleet, but only one plane from it...that isn't so bad. And it wouldn't be the last flight if it is heading to the scrapyard next, if you just meant that this was the last passenger-carrying flight.

1+1=cow :p

"WE jumped out a WINdow!" -Baymax (from Big Hero 6)

This is a repositioning flight. No passengers. The aircraft is going on permanent display at the Aviation Museum at Wooloongong (YWOL) airport. It will not be departing, ever.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

Ok, that makes more sense! (such a waste of perfectly good metal...aircraft should be scrapped)

1+1=cow :p

"WE jumped out a WINdow!" -Baymax (from Big Hero 6)

Hi Again, Just a small update to this flight.

According to a friend of a friend who works at the QANTAS Base the Boeing 747-400 is currently being stripped of all unnecessary items to reduce the aircraft's weight for landing on the Albian Park airport's short runway.

It would be good if the upper deck passenger seating is left in tact for the museum to give tour visitors the opportunity to see what the interior is like.

Sorry Sampa (member) if i screwed up on reporting it and thanks to Theyorks (member) for setting the news right.

And Sampa, 'there still is a lot of Coca Cola can material left in the American aircraft graveyards for recycling use'!

regards, IRE.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thursday 5th March.

On way back from Sydney I decided to check out the layout of the Airport and 'bumped' into the Manager of the Historical Aircraft Museum (sorry, can't remember his name) while looking for a suitable location to take photos.

He informs me that the QANTAS 747-400 has a departure slot around 7:40am, Sunday, 8th March from Sydney Intl (YSSY) and is expected at Albian Park Airport (YWOL) approx seven to ten minutes later (depending on prevailing weather conditions) and will be landing on runway 16.

The airport is situated in a triangle surrounded by public roads with a roundabout pretty much directly in line with runway 16. According to the manager the N.S.W. police force will be closing all traffic in either direction at the roundabout while the Boeing 747-400 makes its final decent into the airport. At the southern end of the airport for a runway 34 approach is the Illawarra Hwy and that too will be closed also until the aircraft has landed and stopped.

The tug to tow the 747-400 is already there and will tow the aircraft from the runway to its temporary parking area until the permanent parking apron is completed.

I do hope that this information is helpful to any aircraft enthusiast who is planning on travelling to the airport to see the Boeing 747-400 make its final landing this coming Sunday, 8th march.

Regards, IRE.

Archived