FSX SE New Compiler -- Anyone notice a difference?

goldhawk

I was reading on another site that FSX SE has been re compiled with a more modern compiler (c++ is my guess).

Has anyone noticed that this makes it any less of a resource hog for lower end pc's?

Or by any chance does it utilize multi core more efficiently?

Just wondering.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

Most evidence and comments suggest that in controlled tests (as opposed to random) the average user will not notice the difference. It's still a good thing though, but in itself, not a compelling reason to trade in the old for the new. Not yet.

There is also the possibility this new compiler is behind some of the initial add-on compatibility problems, but these are being worked out. Compilers can cause as well as fix problems including memory leaks. Ultimately, the results of using one over another is more related to the talent of the programmers rather than the compiler itself. The compiler which works best is the one the programmers know well.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I give that reply a thumbs up, especially since I don't use facebook any longer and always look for a chance to thumbs up something, I guess there is always the google+ +1 but that seems a little lacking to me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

Many people are reporting better performance with the Steam edition.

Of course this could be related to starting with a fresh install and comparing it to a bloated one.

In theory the newer libraries used by the compiler would be better optimized for more modern hardware.

The challenge with FSX is that there are so many variables at play that realistically comparing Steam to the boxed set is practically impossible.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

1. It's the same for all machines that can run FSX. They haven't increased the minimum specs enough to take advantage of newer machines.

2. No multithreading is unaffected, what is affected are that certain operations like moving data and manipulating data will be done in chunks of 4 instead of one at a time.

If you want solid and reliable answers, look no further than to Pete Dowson of FSUIPC fame. In his controlled tests, the one uncontestable fact that is emerges is that there is much lower impact on VAS usage.

The result of this is a greatly reduced chance of VAS exhaustion generating an OOM.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived