B737 Rudder pedals not working --- Help

tlg5070

Hi

I was setting switches on my Ifly B737 overhead and I must have set something to stop the Rudder Pedals from working. It seems that the hydraulics is not on for the rudder? I go into the cockpit and when I move my Saitek rudder pedals I can see in the view that they do not move. Everything was working OK before I set probably the wrong switch in the overhead panel.

When I load up even the PMDG B737 the rudder does the same thing, does not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, Thomas

Aeon 2200 Gaming Desktop Intel Core i7-4790 4.40 GHz Quad-core Processor,

32 GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, GeForce GTX 960 2GB Graphics,

Windows 10 64-Bit Saitek yoke,2 throttles,switch panel,VRI MCP II,VRI Ovrhd

panel,Rudder Pedals,40" Sony HDTV

I do have autorudder set to off. I have not touched anything in the FSX settings. I was using FSUIPC, Linda and Spad for most of my settings. Everything was fine until I probably messed up some Overhead Panel settings.

Did you turn on the Yaw Damper? Try turning it OFF (no it doesn't mean On Full Force! :D ) and see if that fixes it. OR, Look at the bird in Spot view and see if the rudder moves a little bit by it's self when sitting still on the ground. If it does, it's ON. Hit CTRL+D to turn it off if you can't find the switch.

Just a thought. I get them, but not often, and they get lonely and leave pretty fast.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi Pat

I tried turning the yaw damper on and off. Still no luck. In the spot view, I see the rudder does move when I use my steering tiller but not at all with the rudder pedals. Should the yaw damper be on or off prior to flight or when do you use it?

I have always had rudder until the other day when as I said I was setting some switches in the overhead panel. Is it possible that without hydraulics that the pedals will not move at all?

The YD should activated just as you take the runway for take-off. Having said that, double check the checklists for the particular aircraft you want to fly in. If it doesn't come with one, check Google or the evil Bing everyone hates so much. I like it personally...

And yes, the rudder pedals won't move without hyd pressure, as the rudder on the B737 is entirely hydraulically actuated. No "hard-wire" or cabled connection, as far as I know. SO!

Get your hyds going, then see about the rudder movement. I won't totally garuntee it will sove your entire problem, but it WILL hel a lot! :) I will look at my version (the FS9 and FSX-SE defaults, I'm not much of a tube flyer) and see what I can see if you like. Ought to be a switch up there for the hyd pumps, one for each engine, I believe, running the different systems. Usually Hyd 1, 2 and Utility. I am not certain (it's been a LONG time since I studied up on the minipig, as my father called them) whether they are mechanically or electrically operated. Are you certain the Generators and inverters are all on before you check the rudder? If they are electric, perhaps they aren't being powered up properly...? Maybe the APU is needed for ground ops? Again, I'm not certain...

Hope all my rambling helps a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Never even thought of that...Sorry bout that!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I will try various default aircraft today and let you know. I have the VRinsight overhead and sometimes I use it with the plane and then sometimes i don't bother and leave it turned off. I am not sure if this will affect settings or not. I know yesterday I loaded up the B1900 and the rudder worked fine. I tried the default 747 and the rudder & ailerons did not work. I also loaded up the default caravan and the rudder & ailerons did not move. Not sure what that means.

In a plane when the pedals don't work, use the keyboard to move the rudder.

Keyboard does work? Then your pedals are not set up correctly, or wrong driver, or broken cable on pedals, or not plugged in right/ broken cable.

Same plane works one time, but not next time? Then Possibly broken cable on rudder controller.

Get one plane working 100%. Use a default, without added overhead panel. That makes sure the controller works at all.

Only when you are certain the pedals work 100% do you move on to testing complex aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi

Here is a pic of my Overhead Panel sitting on the runway presently. image.jpg o

Hopefully someone can spot something to reset.

Solution Found

I went over some settings today and found a solution to the rudder problem. I had a wingman steering wheel hooked up for the steering tiller. In FSUIPC I assigned the wheel to the steering tiller and also set up the trim for the tiller in FSUIPC. The rudder was assigned to Saitek Rudder Pedals through FSUIPC also. With this setup the rudder pedals would not work. I went into FSUIPC and eliminated the Steering Tiller trim setup and now the rudder works fine. Funny how a problem can steer you in a totally different direction.

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me find the solution.

Thx again, Thomas

Solution Found

I went over some settings today and found a solution to the rudder problem. I had a wingman steering wheel hooked up for the steering tiller. In FSUIPC I assigned the wheel to the steering tiller and also set up the trim for the tiller in FSUIPC. The rudder was assigned to Saitek Rudder Pedals through FSUIPC also. With this setup the rudder pedals would not work. I went into FSUIPC and eliminated the Steering Tiller trim setup and now the rudder works fine. Funny how a problem can steer you in a totally different direction.

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me find the solution.

Thx again, Thomas

Hi, the thing is, that FSUIPC uses the same axis for tiller and rudder! It is completely normal in this setup, that with the plane standing still or taxiing the rudder pedals do not move the ones in the sim, only the tiller does. Until you reach the predefined speed, that is. The moment you reach the (40? 60? check FSUIPC.INI) knot mark, the tiller stops working and the pedals kick in. From this point onward, your pedals move the rudder, as it should be.

That way FSUIPC emulates a steering tiller, that FSX does not simulate at all (no dedicated axis)!

Archived