Renaming Aircraft Folders

ColR1948

Looking through my aircraft folders and it is getting harder to find a particular aircraft as a lot of them a jumbled up, what I mean is a GA in the middle of a few airliners or visa versa etc.

I'm thinking of renaming the folders in some sort of simple order, so any suggestions that you use before I go charging in only to find a better option later?

Mine are strictly by manufacturer: B737/B747/B757/B767/B777...A319/A320/A330/A340/A380...Cessna...Beechcraft and so on.

Fairly simple to navigate.

I add these as prefixes to whatever the original folder was called, so you can find the subtype easily enough.

E.g. B773 OS VC FDE G

I use a simple alphabetical system in my Aircraft Folder, designating each aircraft by type, model & designer, ie:

A320_200 IFDG

B717_200 SGA

B727_200 MS (indicates Mike Stone model)

B737-200 KH (indicates Kittyhawk model)

Fokker 100 PF (indicates Project Fokker model)

This just a small sample, since I have over 400 aircraft in my inventory, but you should see what I mean. BTW, over the years all of my abbreviations have been committed to memory by constant use.

Paul

I made a start, I renamed around 4 then all of a sudden the files have gone in reverse i.e. Z -A the files beginning with Z are at the top.

I don't know what i did but I searched online but couldn't fine an answer I'm on Windows 7.

EDITED:

IT's OK I sorted it no nead to reply to this post.

Mmmm, are you remaning the folders in the aircraft directory? or in the actual aircraft.cfg directory?

Big difference. The first will be shown when you open the actual aircraft folder in the flight sim directory, the second will be shown up within the game itself when selecting the aircraft.

This can be changed when you open the aircraft.cfg & you will see somethink like this:

[fltsim.0]

title=M6A1-Aichi Seiran

sim=Seiran

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=

ui_manufacturer=Welker's Plane & Ship Wharf

ui_type=Aichi Seiran M6A1

ui_variation=Floatplane

ui_typerole=Japanese Warbirds

visual_damage=1

kb_checklists=

description=

title=M6A1-Aichi Seiran

sim=Seiran

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=

ui_manufacturer=Cessna

ui_type=C172

ui_variation=Floatplane

ui_typerole=GA

visual_damage=1

kb_checklists=

description=

There may be more, such as

[fltsim.1]

title=M6A1-Aichi Seiran

sim=Seiran

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=

etc..

You can change the following:

ui_manufacturer=Cessna to for example ui_manufacturer=GA

ui_type=C172 to for example ui_type=Cessna C172

ui_variation=Floatplane to for example ui_variation=wheels

So, if you want to, you can go thru all your planes & change/group them to whatever suits you. Doing it as shown, all GA's, if the aircraft.cfg's are changed, will be grouped together.

Hope this explains & is not too confusing.. :-)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

No it's confusing, I just wanted them in some sort of order in the main aircraft folder, some had their names in numbers and letters without actually saying what it was, some GA's were in the middle of airliners and so on, the AI's were not too bad seeing as most of them started wi the letter A but I've renamed them all now and it looks a lot better and easier to find a particular aircraft.

Very handy for editing and adding any new paints etc.

Don't do anything (rename or renumber) to the Default Airplanes because of any alias (sound or panel).

But for any addon airplanes you can use numbers to sort. Like this: '0_My Favorite GA', '1_My Fav Jets','2_My Fav TP', '3_My Fav Mil Prop', '4_My Fav Amphib', '5_My Fav Boats', '6_My Fav Helios', '7_My Fav Port Overs', 8_My Fav WIP', '9_My Fav No Good'. Of course the actual name would be something like '0_Piper PA-18A'.

You could also make a folder called 'Aircraft 2015', under 'SimObjects' folder, and then add airplanes using format of mm_dd (ie: 01_05_Piper PA-18A' thru 12_31_Piper PA-18A Updated' (or whatever). You would need to add 'Aircraft 2015' to the FSX cfg (Main) section by adding the line: SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\Aircraft 2015 .

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

You could also make a folder called 'Aircraft 2015', under 'SimObjects' folder, and then add airplanes using format of mm_dd (ie: 01_05_Piper PA-18A' thru 12_31_Piper PA-18A Updated' (or whatever). You would need to add 'Aircraft 2015' to the FSX cfg (Main) section by adding the line: SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\Aircraft 2015 .

Chuck B

Napamule

Not in FS9.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Ah Nuts! You're right. But the idea to sort by using (mm_dd) date (ie: '01_05_Piper PA-18A Ver01' thru 12_31_Piper PA-18A Ver12') would work in FS9. You could have any number of DIFFERENT aircraft for any one day with no 'conflicts' and they would still be sorted alphabetically for quick search.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived