FSX unwantedly records video's when tapping F9

f16jockey_2

Found this through a combination of some things:

- the loss of F9 "Virtual cockpit View" shortcut key

- unexplainable filling up of my external HD

Searching the reason for the latter, I found a subfolder "Flight Simulator X Files" in "My Videos", filled up with AVI-files of the format YYY-M-DD_HH-MM-SS-SSS.AVI (eg. 2015-1-31_21-15-54-867.AVI).

The same file naming as the BMPs in My Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files when you hit "V" I think.

Took me a while to add 2+2=4 and to link this to the loss of the F9 key.

So this is what's happening: when I hit F9, FSX starts recording a video to the above folder, and stops when hitting it again. This is definitely NOT what I want.

All this must haved started (looking at the file timestamps) last wednesday Jan 28th, when I resumed flight simming after a break of about a month.

Been using my PC for other stuff meanwhile, so something external to FSX CAN be the cause, though I doubt it, as the folder name and the file naming is quite "FSX-like".

Btw. when checking the Key Settings in FSX, F9 is still assigned to "VC View" as it was.

Running FSX on Win 8.1 64bit without further trouble on a moderate 3.4Ghz Intel i5-system.

Any ideas, except for NOT hitting the F9 key ?

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

You have a key mapping error in the FS controls-Keys UI, or FSUIPC, or your controller mapping software, or an add-on doing what it should not. FSX does not behave this way by default.

"Been using my PC for other stuff meanwhile, so something external to FSX CAN be the cause, though I doubt it,"

Think about this some more.

"checking the Key Settings in FSX, F9 is still assigned to "VC View" as it was."

This leaves two other key assignment utilities to inspect.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

This leaves two other key assignment utilities to inspect.

FSUIPC was set to "Video Record Toggle".

So not really an error. It just did what it had to.

Dunno how it ever got there, didn't even know the Video command existed.

Problem solved ! Thanks a lot.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Archived