PC Dedicated To FS

ColR1948

Just my .02 here, but I would think it's better to install FS yourself and learn the steps to optimize the Software, than to have someone else do it.

What happens if you need Tech Support? Do you have to send the box back to have them fix the problem?

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

What I'm thinking is even if you sent them your software and they install it and tweak to get perfection then fine but most of us add or take things away all the time.

I would rather install the stuff myself to be honest but I am thinking of getting a dedicated PC for FS, I'm open for suggestions like I said in my first post, I was just asking if anybody had used this company or could suggest another.

Building my own would be nice but I'm not sure I'm capable, it would be my luck to get it almost finished then fry the thing because of a mistake or something.

Meh, their website if awful and a best a blatant rip off of FSX graphics, therefore their service must be awful too! If you really wanted a custom built FSX rig buy the components (I'll even tell you the best places to buy from), them come see me. I'll teach you how to assemble the PC, install and configure it and load FSX on it. Then get it all working at its optimum, AND, I wouldn't charge to do it, though I pint if beer is always welcome :lol:

Edit: They use Comic Sans on their website, that should tell you all you need to know about them.

I used to fly jets, but I got fed up with them calling me a retard every time I tried to land...:pilot:

On the subject of a dedicated PC for FS, I have read a lot of threads where people have had problems with Windows 7 & 8, I know some haven't but I have also read the best operating system for FS is either Windows Vista or XP.

So what do you guys suggest if a dedicated PC was the way to go?

Well, I have a PC dedicated to FS. I have had it for about 8 years now. It runs XP SP3, and apart from the overheating during Australian summers, has never had any problems in those 8 years. It started as a stock standard department store (Harvey Norman, or as he is more commonly known, Hardly Normal) deskside PC, with the only modification for FS being a high-performance NVidia video gaming card and some extra memory.

For performance reasons, I have disabled the ethernet on it and run no networking whatsoever on it. This means I can't run MCX or ADE on it, but not a problem, both of those are on the laptop in the next room, and file transfer is via USB stick. With no networking there is also no virus scanner, which has both good and bad points. Something to think about.

Steve from Mudgee.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

I am getting a PC off someone that I'm going to use just for FS, it isn't super duper but it will run it OK, I am going to add more ram memory but a couple of things I'm concerned about.

It has Windows 7 Home Premium installed so I'm wondering if I should take it off and install XP which I have the disk for and also it has Nvidia graphics but the person I'm getting it off hasn't got the drivers and I'm wondering if the drivers are easy to get online?

So would you leave everything as it is or do the alteration and be glad later?

It is a duel core 5.6GHZ with 4MB ram and Nvidia GE Force graphics, as I said above I'm going to add more ram.

As of 2104, nVidia drivers for XP were available, and they resolved "all known" issues on my card.

After that, with running two screens from that card, the only thing left to do was to install an extra small cooling fan. If you are going to run a hot card, you MUST, MUST, run something like GPU-Z or SpeedFan (actual product not that important) to monitor temperatures and fan speeds.

Uhh, when you say 4MB ram, presumeably you mean 4GB? Other people more inforrmed on this than I can confirm or naysay this, but I believe that more than 4GB for FS serves no real purpose.

Steve from Mudgee

It is a duel core 5.6GHZ with 4MB ram and Nvidia GE Force graphics, as I said above I'm going to add more ram.

Um, ...what???

Does it include the liquid nitrogen tanks needed to cool the CPU?

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Ah you are right, it has 2 x 2.8GHZ 64bit CPU with the effective output of 5.6GHZ

No, they do not work that way.

The cores work in parallel, not in series.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Damn I was just reading another thread and you are right, I am running FS9 at the moment on a laptop via an external hard drive, it runs not too bad but obviously things have to be turned down here and there.

I was hoping by getting this PC I could run FS9 and also install my copy of FX and run both of them not at the same time of course lol.

But on this thread I was reading a guy there has a similar system and he can run FSX but some things are sacrificed for it to run.

It's my own fault rushing in to things, only myself to blame I know but may be I can run FS9 a bit better than it is at the moment and have FSX running with a few tweaks till I can get something that will handle it.

Games are THE most "stressful" programs you can run on a PC. Both the main and graphics processor will run at nearly or totally at 100%. The massive switching on and off of all those tiny bits of silicon generates a LOT of heat in a VERY SMALL area/volume. Trust me, the processors will get too hot to touch. Some sort of monitoring programs, like the two I mentioned, are mandatory. They are free, they don't consume a lot of resource. And an extra cooling fan is also a good idea.

Steve from Mudgee

Well I got the PC today and you were all right, I installed FS9 at first, then I have some VFR scenery, I gave it a quick try and it was terrible, all the scenery was blurry, I let it run for a while but it didn't improve, I altered the sliders but again no improvement.

In the end I uninstalled the VFR scenery and tried it again, this time it run not too bad.

Then just ot an experiment I attached the external HD I already have FS on to try it and that run better.

So it's back to saving up again, I never learn lol.

Archived