Override FSX AI Traffic Labels

kthomas8

One one hand, FSX AI traffic is invisible until really close. On the other hand, turning on labels is a big cheat. I would like to use my scan for a reasonable see and avoid practice.

Looking for something in between, I am curious if there is a way to override the AI traffic label such that it just displays a "." (period) for all aircraft traffic.

That way, from a distance I at least see a dot, and once closer I will see the aircraft (and a dot).

Any ideas?

You can replace the text in all the aircraft.cfg files. Not sure what effect this will have on ATC and AI. Probably bad. I would not do this myself. If you don't like the labels, turn them off and the "cheat" and you'll still see the aircraft at extreme distance as a "dot" Some claim the labels are a frame eater anyway.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

With labels off, when FSX (or Pilotedge) ATC calls a traffic advisory, there is most often nothing visible in my sim unless it is really close. My display settings are pretty high. In real flight, when ATC calls an advisory, I can usually spot it. I'm not really interested in fancy AI traffic, just somewhat realistic ability to see ones that are nearby.

Maybe install the radar gauge, that way you see them coming! Filename: gauge.zip - in the file library. Says fs2004 I believe, but works fine in fsx.

Like you I also only see them during the day when they are up close, but at night the lights are visible from further away.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I tried editing the aircraft.cfg file (made a backup first) and changed ui_manufacturer to "." then changed settings to display labels, only selecting manufacturer and dark blue. So far so good. I can see it further away than real but not so blaring as big letters and numbers.

I would expect that to be the same as turning labels off. I want to see something and it be somewhat close to realistic. The "." seems OK. A little better than real but much better than labels with words and numbers. I can try it.

kt,

I tried this. I used 'white' for label color, and now I can pretend I and looking at landing lights. Nice mod. I like it. All my GA thumbnails are lumped together due to 'ui_manufacturer='.' but that's no biggee - I never fly any but the C-172 anyway. I have a button (toggle) on joy assigned to switch to 'Top Down' view and with zoom=16 I can locate AI that are 'around' me but 'out of my line of vision' (ie: no need for radar). Here is a pic with AI at distance in an insert (zoomed).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived