Great audio needed

Having just purchased a top of the line White Lightning PC, I am curious as to the quality of sound I am getting. Many times I have heard that the on board audio is lame and you should get a separate audio card. I currently have Logitecs with woofer. Seems ok but weak. I would love to hear from others who have tweaked around with their sound sys and compare notes. My end goal is the best bang for the buck. Budget around $300.00 Thanks.

Perry

What's your actual use case? If it's just FSX I don't think you are getting any thing that's going to be a $300 improvement, even a $50 improvement doesn't really exist.

If it's music , your best bet would be to get an external amplifier and connect via Optical or CoAxil. I had the Z-5500 and they were great using the digital input. Even ran my headphones through that.

At the end of the day the audio chipsets be it onboard or expansion card have the same manufacturing process. It's the capacitors and amplifiers that make the biggest difference these days. The benefit of the expansion cards, is they have a lot more software based codecs they can use, like DTS decoding, while most units are Dolby at best.

Archived