tweeking existing sceanery, is there an easy way?

steveh2112

i downloaded the yosemite scenery from orbx here https://fullterrain.com/freeware and its not bad, better than the default anyhow. i does a great version of yosemite and vernal falls but what the f happened to the 2 most iconic mountains in the park, if no the world, el cap and half dome? did i install it wrong? they look nothing like the real thing as seen on google earth.

halfdome orbx.jpg that thing slightly to the right of center is supposed to be half dome

according to description on orbx it should look pretty good, and i see half dome and el cap .bgl files.

maybe i installed it wrong. does anyone else have time scenery? how does it look for you?

since i already have the files installed, is there a simple tool (or a cad tool like sketchup) to go in as tweek the height maps and replace the textures?

i only have fsx stream version and that doesn't seem to come with the sdk tools

thx steve

You need to register but you can get the free Prepar3D SDK 1.4 which is equivalent to the FSX one and will work with FSX:SE

i got that actually but not sure what to do yet, need to look into the whole editing process i guess. but first it would be nice to know if anyone else has the same problem as me with the orbx file

this is el cap

elcap orbx.jpg

el cap is a vertical wall, not a slope

thx

First thing is always to make sure that there aren't any other addon bgl files that might be interfering.

i unchecked everything i could find besides FTX_AA_YOSEMITE which is where orbx put the scenery and texture files, but still no luck.

i also tried turning everything back on and unchecking FTX_AA_YOSEMITE to make sure it was picking it up and sure enough, i get the default back which has el cap and half dome the right basic shape but awful textures

thanks, for all you help by the way

since this is probably an orbx specific question, i just asked it on the orbx forum

i just read this http://www.orbxsyste...alley-freeware/

'Featuring 3D models of El Capitan and Half Dome, this photoreal package has been enhanced to blend in seamlessly with FTX NorCal.'

so i guess this mean i need FTX NorCal for the yosemite freeware to work? that$40, a bit steep (compared to FSX steam anyhow) but it does look good

While the scenery is optimized for use with NCA it will display and work without it. The main problem you'll see is a mismatch between the photoreal and default landclass textures since the photoreal has been matched to NCA landclass textures instead. The problem you're seeing is simply missing objects, the mountains are actually models, there are 2 seasonal variations of them and the swap between the two is controlled by ObjectFlow which is what you're missing. Without it neither variation will show up. You should download and install the orbxlibs to remedy that. Afterwards you'll be prompted to "run" and "trust" the objectflow module the next time you start the sim, answer yes on both dialogs and your mountains should magically appear.

thanks to jim robinson but it yurns out i have a problem since i'm running FSX steam edition

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/626329820897257433/

'3. Our ObjectFlow DLL library does not yet work with FSX:SE, which means any dynamic scenery elements displayed at our airports will not work. This is due to FSX.exe being a newly compiled version and we have to test and re-sign ObjectFlow.dll to the new code. We will announce this new DLL as being available ASAP.'

i'm having the problem in this thread, when i try install the orbxlibs it fails on simconnect.dll and objectflow.dll

guess i need the old FSX

I assumed the ObjectFlow module had already been updated for FSX-SE, sorry. I guess in that case there's nothing you can do except wait for Orbx to update it. The same thing happened with P3D2 and every time LM releases an update the module has to be updated again. I don't think it's a huge deal updating the module, it seemed to happen almost overnight going from P3D v2.3 to v2.4, I'm sure they'll get everything sorted for full Steam compatibility soon.

Jim

Archived