RTW Retro Flight #45 Cape Town to Port Elizabeth . . . . 1960

NMLW

Flight Springbok 195 is a Douglas DC-4 in a late 1950s South African Airways/Suid Afrikaanse Lugdiens livery flying from Cape Town, South Africa to Port Elizabeth, SA, (FACT – FAPE). There are 1,100 gallons of fuel on board and the total flight time is about 2 hours and 20 minutes. The weather for our early morning takeoff consists of a thunderstorm with moderate rain and heavy cloud cover. We will be cruising at an altitude of 15,000 feet.

Thanks to:

Aircraft: Douglas DC-4 in a late 1950s South African Airways/Suid Afrikaanse Lugdiens livery. Aircraft model, original textures and paint by Jens B. Kristensen.

Propliner AI & Traffic: CalClassic & FS Aviator - Tom Gibson, Mike Stevens, Jason Krogmann, Manuel Jagmann, Bill Towers, Nikko Yaginuma, Richard Wright, Frederick Coleman, Dave Jones, Paul Haak, Marty Lochmiller, Ake Lindberg, Harland Sandberg, Richard Wright and Gary Harper. www.calclassic.com

Scenery: FS2004 Standard and:

- Cape Town and Port Elizabeth Airports from the 1960 Africa Scenery Package by Wolfgang Gersch, Harry Biard, Jaap de Baare, Mike Stevens, Tom Gibson, Nikko Yaginuma and Johan Dees. Available at www.calclassic.com

- Rwy12 and EZ Static Object and Scenery Libraries.

- FS2004 Classic Scenery Libraries V3 by Wolfgang Gersch.

- REX FS9 enhancements for sky, cloud, weather, water/waves, runway, taxiway textures, sun and lighting.

- Flight One Ground Environment Pro II.

- HDE 2.0 grass texture enhancement by Pablo Diaz.

Click to enlarge . . .

1. Passengers loaded, engines started and performing final cockpit checks.

DC-4_SAA_01.jpg

2. Taxiing out to Rwy. 01 for departure.

DC-4_SAA_02.jpg

3. Liftoff and packing up the gear.

DC-4_SAA_03.jpg

4. We’re climbing through 3,000 feet with rain and gusty southwest winds.

DC-4_SAA_04.jpg

5. At about 7,000 feet we leave the stratus layer and enter the thunderheads. Heavy lightening abounds.

DC-4_SAA_05.jpg

6. Climbing through 10,000 feet we continue to skirt the thunderheads as best we can.

DC-4_SAA_06.jpg

7. At 12,000 feet the clouds begin to lighten and break up a bit.

DC-4_SAA_07.jpg

8. Finally at our cruising altitude of FL150 near the Rivirsonderend Nature Reserve.

DC-4_SAA_08.jpg

9. We're now close to the City of George, SA with the storm well behind us.

DC-4_SAA_09.jpg

10. Having passed the small resort town of Nature's Valley we see the South Atlantic below and off to starboard.

DC-4_SAA_10.jpg

More in the reply . . . . . . . . .

Larry

Click to enlarge . . .

11. Passing the small town of Humansdorp a light industry and farming hub. We are about 50 miles from Port Elizabeth.

DC-4_SAA_11.jpg

12. We begin our initial descent to 7,000 feet.

DC-4_SAA_12.jpg

13. About fifteen miles from Port Elizabeth we begin a turn to the south.

DC-4_SAA_13.jpg

14. Now descending to 2,900 feet we head south toward the Atlantic near Kini Bay.

DC-4_SAA_14.jpg

15. Off Sardinia Bay we turn to intercept Rwy. 08 at Port Elizabeth on the Western Cape.

DC-4_SAA_15.jpg

16. We are on our final approach about three and a half miles out with flaps full and three green.

DC-4_SAA_16.jpg

17. We are now just a little over a mile from the runway.

DC-4_SAA_17.jpg

18. Touchdown with a bit of a bounce. We will keep the lid on the tip jar this time.

DC-4_SAA_18.jpg

19. Taxiing to parking at gate one at Port Elizabeth.

DC-4_SAA_19.jpg

20. Engines off and passengers disembarked. Thanks for flying South African Airways/Suid Afrikaanse Lugdiens.

DC-4_SAA_20.jpg

Larry

Excellent set of shots !!
AMD FX-8350 8 CORES 4.0/ovrclckd 5.0GHz, GIGABYTE GA 990FXA-UD7, RAM 32GB/2000MHz, GeFORCE GTX TITAN, 2xSSD 256GB, 2*HDD 2TB, 3x42" LCD, SAITEK PRO FLIGHT, MCP+EFIS PANEL, ANDROID TABLET FOR FMC AND EFB, WIN8-64BIT, FS9

Very nice array of retro pics! Love the bad weather themes....excellent all of the way around :)

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Terrific set Larry, enjoyed every one of them! Been wanting to backdate my FS for months now, and go fly back in time for a while, but I seem to fail miserably in trying to end the constant flow of modern-day flights on my to-fly list. I keep saying "OK, I shall backdate after this short A321 hop...as a matter of fact, one more E-175 flight across the Dover Strait wouldn't do any harm....and since I'm talking about Embraer...why not an ERJ-145 regional flight from Zurich to Valencia before backdating?". It's just so tempting...BUT...I've managed to do 2 flights without adding any new modern-day flight on the list, that's a good sign:D I shall configure my sim for 1970s era first, for some proper jet action, then I'll go back to the 40s and 50s, and enjoy the goodies at CalClasic myself. Your shots are super tempting, can't wait to go back in time!
kk2Hq8Xj_o.jpg

Awesome shots, flight and commentary Larry. You can beat a vintage bird, I'm now going to have to find your other 44 flights to enjoy.
I used to fly jets, but I got fed up with them calling me a retard every time I tried to land...:pilot:

Archived