Tileproxy

cianpars

For anyone who still uses Tileproxy, you may want to note that John Greenwood has produced an update (R086) to allow it to use multi cores and thus increasing the number of tiles processed per second.

This should make a significant difference to users with fast systems and decent download speeds and I suspect allow much faster flight without getting blurries.

Its available over at the other site if anyone is interested.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

me too Jeff. I was really into Tileproxy and it was the catalyst to get me moving from fs9 to fsx. I too gave up because of the slow loading speeds and couldn't fly much over 80kts without getting blurries.

I've still got it on my PC but I can't seem to get around the unsigned driver issue now. I got around it originally, but several methods I tried didn't seem to work.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

me too Jeff. I was really into Tileproxy and it was the catalyst to get me moving from fs9 to fsx. I too gave up because of the slow loading speeds and couldn't fly much over 80kts without getting blurries.

I've still got it on my PC but I can't seem to get around the unsigned driver issue now. I got around it originally, but several methods I tried didn't seem to work.

IAN

What I did for the driver issue, was upon boot up of the pc, I'd repeatedly hit F8 until the boot screen appeared. (Black screen with white lettering) then I'd scroll down and disable driver enforcement. This needed to be done everytime the computer was booted up.(windows 7)

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I found TP to be an interesting project in years past. It's 2D nature doesn't appeal to me in the long run because I fly to low for the most part. It's good to know the project is still viable.

I don't remember, is it available here or is it at a website?

I don't know how far in the future it is but the same tech that has produced Google Earth is progressing to the point of 3D items. Hopefully that will make into our virtual world soon.

Karl

I7-4770k, ASUS Z87pro, 8GB RAM, GTX770

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really must give TP another go with this multicore thingy. My recollection is also that one of it's weaknesses was a lack of watermasking. Not so great when flying around the UK coasts as I like to do, but I remember having a lot of fun flying in mountainous areas where the watermasks were not an issue. Even better when you can get some good mesh to go with it.

Photoscenery to me looks so much better when the lakes are photo rather than filled in with FSX water (unless you want to land on them I suppose).

It's just great to have photoscenery for almost the whole world on tap though and I'm a bit surprised that MS did not have a go at producing their own version or even talk to Christian about adapting his program to compliment FSX.

Must Google disabling driver enforcement permanently again.

IAN

IAN, there was water masking. I remember it was FSX water that blended into the shorelines. (Unless it's different outside the USA)
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

water masking, indeed. It's just that the water "mask" provided for the world was pretty low-res so there was frequent 'overlap' along the shoreline but dang it was pretty in many places.

I loved that the water color was completely adjustable through the full range of the Windows color palette: I had several standardized colors set from light yellow-green for the Florida keys to a steely blue-grey for the North Sea.

It sure added many thousands of hours of fun to the flying and custom scenery making - I just never reinstalled when I upgraded to Win 7.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Hi Loyd, haven't heard from you for a while. I do recall that there was a setting to change the tightness of the watermasks in the ini file. I remember that I had to tighten them up a bit around the UK as the masking was appearing to far out into the water in some places and blank mapping tiles were showing. It helped though.

I don't recall being able to change the water colour though. That would be neat considering that UK waters are nowhere near as blue as FSX.

Are you going to give TP another go with the multi-core support?

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going to give TP another go with the multi-core support?

Hi all,

I am the guy who put up the TileProxy_R086 update that supports multi-threading. It is available here:

AVSIM Library: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=R086&CatID=root&Go=Search

Simviation: http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=r086&categoryId=

The original TileProxy Beta8 by Christin Buchner is a prerequisite for TileProxy_R086 update.

It is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tileproxy/files/

There have been over 131,000 downloads to date!! About 1000/month since 2008...

For anybody installing TileProxy on FSX, Ed Truthan's "Getting Started" is required reading. His tutorial is available here:

http://www.edtruthan.com/tileproxy/tutorial/index.htm

I am trying to get TileProxy functional with FSX SE. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS. Has anybody tried to get TP working with FSX SE? I have FSX SE installed in a virgin dual boot environment and hoping that a fresh OS/registry will work better. FSX SE runs at least 4X faster FPS than FSX on my PC - in the range of 80-110 FPS which I love. I think TileProxy scenery will be great at those FPS rates with FSX SE...

If anybody has the FSX SE / Tileproxy working, please comment.

Thanks,

John G.

Hey, Ian.

Yes, I think I'll at least consider it. I don't really mind the manual start mode to disable signature checking. I've been using EarthTiles comfortably for the last couple of years but I find the manual water masking pretty, but tedious.

I may have dumped my old 'standard' tp.ini file but the water color is in the middle portion:

look for:

# The water color in hexadecimal RGB notation. Prefix with #. This should be blue

# or greenish blue or some shades of brown, depending on your preference.

# Values of #000000 are discouraged when using water blending - it will result

# in weird behavior at the shorelines.

#water_rgb=#000D1A

water_rgb=#003366

you can use Windows color tool to get the decimal/hexidecimal code - and there's web sites that will do the same if Windows is too clumsy...

Hoping to be IN a new system before a couple more weeks have gone by; my current is almost as old as I am now.....

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I am the guy who put up the TileProxy_R086 update that supports multi-threading...

If anybody has the FSX SE / Tileproxy working, please comment.

Thanks,

John G.

I got TileProxy running OK with FSX:SE. I also installed CumulusX and WinchX. To install CumulusX you need first to do the following (from another FlightSim FSX:SE forum entry) Hope this helps others interesting in soaring...

I also got UTX Europe and UTX USA running OK with FSX:SE

• 1 month later...

Just a head's up, although I'll say up front it might've been something I did------I reinstalled tileproxy, ran it to make sure it worked,(it did), then installed this update. Got a fatal error at the splash screen and FSX closed.

So, rather than take the chance of further fubar'ing my FSX, I uninstalled TP and the update, and FSX runs fine again. Not going to post the error log, as I'm not that concerned about it.

Again, if it's something I did, I don't know. But "buyer beware". (This is FSX retail, NOT steam edition, by the way)

• 1 year later...

Archived