I'd like to start making FSX movies - where do I start?

yensid

Hi all,

I've been hoping to start creating my own FSX videos sometime in the near future. I've spent a lot of time watching some of the great movies that have been shared on YouTube which feature HD aircrafts and scenery with fantastic music and effects. I wanted to try and make some similar movies, but had a few questions for anyone who has done this before:

1. From what I've read, FRAPS seems to be one of the most popular recording applications - is this still true?

2. Any recommendations for editing software?

3. Does the video need to be rendered after editing? If so, is it a good idea to render the video on a separate machine from my FSX gaming machine (would the render be too hard on the CPU over time)?

As always, I appreciate your time and feedback! Thank you!

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz / Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler / G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card / Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply / Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case

Fraps is a good product and easy to use. You can try it for free in 30 second segments before you buy it. FSX has already done the "rendering." Fraps records it.

I use the free Movie Maker which comes with Windows to do my editing. You can use these tools to learn the trade and practice your technique and if confident, you can move up to more expensive editing tools, but MM has a rich tool set for beginners.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Be aware that those "great movies that have been shared on YouTube which feature HD aircrafts and scenery with fantastic music and effects".......

are made by folks with a LOT of experience and many hours of time creating them.

Start off slow and easy and use the free FRAPS initially as well as the Windows Movie Maker built in to your OS. Once you get the basics, then slowly work into the higher end editing, you will find that it's a lot of work to get to the level of some of those videos.

A couple of tips...

FRAPS records as .avi files and they are large, you should use a dedicated hard drive for all your 'capture' and always defrag it prior to editing.

Using WMM to edit, you will have a choice as to how you want to save and export the video, using differetn 'codecs'...I suggest you stick with .wmv at first, as those will play in most locations.

Remember that the end product is only as good as the source video, so take your time setting up the shots, "fix it in post" is something to avoid as much has possible.

Above all, have fun with it! :-)

WMM will save to MP4 which is easily played on most computers, YouTube and Windows media player. The MP4 compression is very good and without it, some movies could get too big to upload/download.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I agree with everything that has been said. I just wanted to add that you can learn to use FSRecorder to 'add' to your filming experience. It offers views, replay, saving footage, playing multiple recorded video(s) of aircraft 'as AI' then recording those 'replay' footage at the same time (ie: multiple aircraft flying together). Just an idea for you to consider. Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeL9yG7aJkI .

Your system is more than qualified to do videos. Be sure to choose 'High Quality' (large file) for saving of Win Movie Maker videos. The 'pro' software can be very expensive (ie: Vegas). Learn to use WMM. Save a buck. It will do, for now. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thank you for all of the feedback and suggestions, I sincerely appreciate it!

I will take a look at all of the applications suggested here and start to tinker around with them - primarily FRAPS, WMM, and FSRecorder. I certainly have my expectations in check in terms of starting with the basics before moving onto the more advanced editing techniques, but I just needed an idea of what applications or tools I should be starting with :D

When I finally get some free time back on the weekends, I'd love to start making these movies as an expansion to my FSX hobby :pilot: so I appreciate all the assistance!

EDIT: I also appreciate the clarification regarding where the "rendering" is done. I am obviously new to the world of video editing, and didn't even think of FSX as already doing the actual rendering!! From what little I know, I understood that video rendering could be intensive of a CPU, so I was just trying to be mindful of that on my gaming machine, but since the game itself is already rendering the video, there's no issue there! Again, I appreciate the clarification here.

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz / Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler / G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card / Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply / Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case

'Video rendering is the process by which a computer processes information from a coded data source and uses that information to produce and display an image.'

This is what your video card's 'JOB' is: to covert code (ie:1's and 0's) being generated by the FSX 'Engine' and translate that ('render') into a display of fluid motion of aircraft flying though the air (aka: graphics). You can use a 'screen capture' program such as Fraps to make video (as '*.avi' in this case).

But YouTube won't accept *.avi footage as *.avi video's file size is HUGE (10X a wmv). Thus you must 're-compile' it using Win Movie Maker, which can convert footage to '*.wmv', '*.flv', or *.MP4', and reduces the file size. Those 3 are 'ok' file size for a YouTube video. The average, or ideal, video length is around 4 minutes. A 10 minute video usually is too long for an 'average' viewer (they get bored easy). Just a hint.

FSRecorder CAN render video. You save a replay and FSRecorder will render the footage (if you set it up first) when replayed. FSRecorder takes it's time doing it (as rendering is not being executed in 'real time' (it's a replay) so this result is much smoother graphics (no stutters). There's a learning curve. But not impossible to learn.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

"I understood that video rendering could be intensive of a CPU"

Yup, thus the complaints about FSX frame rates and stutters!

Game engines are essentially 3D rendering engines and in FS, the system CPU does more of the work than in modern games where an increasing amount of workload is getting sent to the video card as vid card features get richer and GPUs continue to get faster. This is a large portion of the work being done with P3D to "modernize" FS to pass more of the workload off onto the GPU.

-Pv-

• 1 month later...
I can not get the Shadow Play to work. Everything is there, says it is operational. Nothing records. Suggestions? And yes I have the most recent version of Experience.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Gigabit Z97 Gaming 3 LGA 1150 ATX Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600

SanDisk 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State

Just a suggestion about what could you do, not editing and stuff. I think there isn't many reviews of aircraft and sceneries. There obviously are some, but bear in mind , that not many. Also, you could do flights with live commentary, or do something aboout how to land in a crosswind or how to use taildraggers, becuae these aren't the most popular solutions for YT flightsimmers.

Good luck!!!

My Blog:http://thebadpilotsblog.blogspot.com/ My PC: i7-3970X up to 4.0GHz, Gigabyte GTX970 OC, Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme, Kingston HyperX Beast XMP 16GB, Samsung 850 PRO 256GB SSD, Western Digital Black 2TB, Noctua NH-D15, Thermaltake SE Smart 630W, Cooler Master CM690 III, Windows 10.

Archived