Noob question: first FSX/Gaming PC

AppleQuadCore

Hi all, iv'e been using my MacBook Pro with Windows for a while now to run fs9 and fsx but i'm just not getting the results I want, Ive been doing some research and I found this PC on ebay (UK)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-FX8350-Eight-Core-4Ghz-32GB-1600Mhz-2TB-R9-270X-2GB-Gaming-PC-Z11-/321553667891?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item4ade179733

Is it any good? I'll be pretty much just using it for FSX. If it's no good could somebody please send me the link to the best that money can buy for £800 (Windows pre-installed isn't required, I have my own disk) And I want a pre-built one so no trying to change my mind ha! Also would I be able to run on ultra graphics with this kind of setup (£800 ish)?

Cheers, Josh

4Ghz should rock. You'll be able to run most sliders *near* max with careful cfg tweaks.

You don't need 8 cores though. Most apps don't use more than 2 including FSX which only uses 1.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Welcome to the forum Josh. I think you'll be OK with that machine for FSX. You probably won't be able to run with all the sliders maxxed (very few of us can) but you should come close. I think it's a good choice. (You won't believe how well FS9 will run.....)

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

What a generous offer...Bring it to Florida and I'll buy you a pint... or two :-).....Seriously, it's offers like this that help this to be the great community that it is.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I appreciate it. Thanks for the very generous offer ScatterBrainKid but I'm in Leeds so it's not the shortest of trips ha! but I do appreciate it thanks.

Iv'e decided to splash out an extra £100 and I have purchased this one (should arrive tue or wed)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321553830905?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It has an i7 up to 4.4 ghz which ive heard is a bit better than AMD in terms of CPU options, Ive also managed to pick up a 240gb intel SSD for £70 which i'll install Windows 7 and FSX on 9for faster loading times :) , i'll use the standard included 500gb HDD for steam games and stuff and bigger files that aren't a priority.

Thanks for your help :)

Good choice on the upgrade. Faster is always better....Come back and let us know how well it plays. I'm particularly interested as I'm looking to change to a 4790K.

Doug

Hi guys, I've set up my new system, only played for 15 mins so this is just a quick update. I can run FSX with no addons at a solid 35 fps in seattle area with all settings on ultra high except for traffic which is set at minimal. I have yet to install addons and ill let you know how it goes!

Things will slow down a bit as you start getting into add-ons and advanced weather generation but you're off to a good start. Have FUN!

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Archived