Using one library object with multiple textures.

old_wombat

What I hope to do is to use object #1 (contained in a library.bgl with a single GUID in it) with texture set #1 in scenery #1, then that same object with texture set #2 in scenery #2, and the same with 3 & 4. As I understand it, I will need to proceed as:

- Directly use the object1.bgl in scenery #1 with textures #1.

- Bring object1.bgl into something like MCX, change the GUID; and for good measure, change the file names for the textures, then export that into an object2.bgl file.

- Use this object2.bgl in scenery #2 with the new texture names.

- Repeat the above for 3 & 4.

So for four sceneries, there will be four different bgl files, even though each contains exactly the same object.

Is there any way around the above? Is there a way to use just the one object library with multiple textures? For example, if it is saved as an mdl file instead or a bgl? Is there a way to use a single mdl file with multiple texture sets? Or some other way ??????

My concern here is possibly unnecessary duplicated memory use. The object in question is quite complex - even optimised it is 30,000 triangles - with its bgl file being nearly 5MB.

Steve from Mudgee

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

So for four sceneries, there will be four different bgl files, even though each contains exactly the same object.

They won't be identical because they will have different GUIDs.

Your scenario is the only way to do what you want.

Note that you only have to change texture names if the .bgl files are in the same ...\scenery folder, though it is probably a good idea anyway.

Also, the objects could all be compiled into one .bgl if you want. Of course they would then need to have unique texture names.

As for using .mdl files, FS does not have a clue how to read .mdl files until they have been run through a compiler and added to a .bgl file.

If you want to work with the .mdl file, and you are also modding the airport with ADE, you can add the .mdl to your airport in ADE.

If you then have your ADE-generated .bgl files in separate scenery areas you would not have to change texture names. When ADE compiles the model into the .bgl file it will assign a new GUID at each airport (assuming you are only using one instance of the model at each airport).

Hope this helps.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

OK, thanx Bean. I will now proceed with my four separate objects. They are in four very different geographic areas, so it is probably better to have each in its own separate scenery area. And I will sit down and devise a good texture renaming scheme that will be easy for me to remember :D

Steve from Mudgee

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

...devise a good texture renaming scheme that will be easy for me to remember

If I may suggest one I use...

ICAO_(my initials)_texture name

Keeps things grouped by airport.

Makes it easy to remember if I made it or not.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived