Cessna Trim Wheel issue

salsim

I'm new to FlightSim.com, first post. Running FSX Gold with Acceration in Win 7 64 bit op sys on an Intel I7-3770 3.4ghz cpu with 12GB Ram, 4 monitors on a GEForce GTX650tiBoost with 2GB memory. I have Saitek yoke, throttle quad and pedals and their cessna trim wheel. When wheel first installed it worked just fine. Recently it developed a problem where rotating the wheel down for nose up pitch is smooth and trim tab moves as it should. But rotating it up for nose down pitch it starts out smooth and then the tab jumps to its uppermost position. I tested the wheel in Windows device manager and it works smoothly in both directions but in FSX it does not. Have tried to calibrate in FSX but that has not solved the problem. Would appreciate any suggestions as to a fix. Thanks
Intel I7-3770 3.4G, 12GB DDR3, Win 7-64 bit, 600WPSU, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 650ti-Boost, 1TB HDD©, 250GB SDD(F), 4 Monitors

This is usually caused by the AP pitch/ALT function being on. This causes the AP to fight in conflict with your attempts to set the trim. You will also have trouble if you are near stall or overspeed.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I'm in virtual cockpit view and the trimwheel image moves correctly downward but going up it starts smoothly and then jumps to the highest point. If I go to outside view and watch the trim tab it starts upward slowly and then elevates to its highest position.
Intel I7-3770 3.4G, 12GB DDR3, Win 7-64 bit, 600WPSU, NVIDIA GEForce GTX 650ti-Boost, 1TB HDD©, 250GB SDD(F), 4 Monitors

AP is auto Pilot. ALT the auto pilot altitude control option. If your problem is the AP ALT, you should not have this problem in an aircraft without AP, e.g the cub. (Do you?)

I had problems with my Saitek trim wheel using Saitek software -though not the same as yours, but all was solved after de-installing, plugging trim only into a different USB port and using FSUIPC instead.

Also check that the auto rudder option off in the FSX settings window (for pedals).

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check the settings as you suggested. I'm flying the Cessna 172 only. I've seen FSUIPC mentioned frequently in the forum as a preferred method for calibration. How do I get it and does it require anything special to install it? Will also try de-installing the trimwheel and re-install as you suggested. Thanks again!

see here for FSUIPC: http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

You need to buy the software, and I think it is only available at simmarket (you can use paypal)

Nothing special required to install, but do read the how-to and you need to spend a little time getting the instruments selected and set up.

My trim wheel, set up using Saitek software, kept getting conflicts with aileron control. I had it plugged into the Saitek yoke USB hub. I have it now plugged directly into the PC (separate hub should work too) and removed (un-checked) controllers box in FSX settings. Installed FSUIPC and set up controllers as per instructions. Works great now.

^^:cool:^^

´´´\/```

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 48GB RAM, RTX 2070S, 2x1TB Nvme SSD. FSX Gold, XP-11, MSFS.

Thanks for the info. My wheel is plugged into the yoke hub also. Will get FSUIPC and do as you have suggested. thanks to all for the help, great flightsim first time experience!!

Will get FSUIPC and do as you have suggested

FSUIPC is unlikely to fix your problem except by accident. You are doing something that doesn't require FSUIPC and indeed you say it previously worked correctly. The trim wheel appears to FSX and Windows as just another joystick axis. The best experiment you can try is to map the trim wheel to a different analog axis - to the ailerons or rudder, for example. If it moves smoothly as expected there is nothing wrong with the wheel or with how it is installed or calibrated, so you have a different problem.

It seems your problem is related to elevator trim, so I would suggest checking you do not have any duplicate assignments for elevator trim. This includes assignments to buttons, not just axes, and also to keyboard keys. You may have elevator trim (or, specifically, up elevator trim) assigned unexpectedly to a button that is auto-repeating. You may have a stuck button on one of your controllers or a stuck key on your keyboard. You are using the Saitek Pro Flight yoke, so you may be experiencing the 'phantom keypress' bug. This normally changes the view randomly but your problem may be related.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

" Quote Originally Posted by P.e.g.a.s.u.s View Post

You've got rudder (or aileron) trim instead of elevator trim. Use FSUIPC to setup properly.

Was this in response to my question or salsim's?"

This looks to me like a response concerning the wrong surface being activated. This may be a mapping error in FSX, or your controller mapping software. As Mark so thoughtfully mentioned above, mapping errors and key/controller conflicts can be solved without FSUIPC. The paid FSUIPC is best used when an action (usually a complex one and those involving reversers and pedals) does not exist in your controller software or FSX. Simple strait forward commands FSX and your controller handle by default like trim, are easily fixed using FSX and your controller software. People OFTEN create assignment conflicts when experimenting with customizing their stick buttons so look there first.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Archived