Racking my brains....still doesnt make sense....

RabbitSC2

Hey guys, hope you are well. As you may tell im new here.

I have FSX and been using it for a bit of fun, id really like to get into VATSIM etc, but thats another story.....and to be honest, im pretty far away from that as im having a hard time understanding the basics....hence this post!

Hopefully you guys can help me understand something.

When ever i make a flight plan, it takes me from point A to point D via B and C (as an example)

Point D = Airport

Point B C = VOR's

Point A = Starting place

What im finding is this : When i want to land using ILS, following the VOR's takes me direct to the airport, and rather than lining me up turning onto final in a nice approach, i fly over the airport from the radial from my last VOR (hopefully this makes some sense!)

I dont really know ENOUGH about VOR's but have a basic understanding of what they do.

I've been using the AI ATC (computer ATC) in order to get from Point A to point D using the headings that ATC give me, and its working out ok. But as you can imagine, since i want to get more into this and perhaps explore VATSIM or similar....this is no longer an option, having ATC guide me the whole way.

So, how do you plan the ILS approach? Or am i missing something obvious?

I have made a VERY sketchy image trying to depict where im going with this, any tips, resources or reading would be really helpful!

Thanks in advance,

Eddy

plan.jpg

Hi!

If you are using the autopilot, ATC will turn you on to a heading away from your flight plan at (B); you will be advised to pick up the ILS for runway (eg 27 left on 109.5 (Heathrow) and contact the tower when your established on the ILS. If you are using the autopilot “are you selecting approach (APP) on the autopilot”? if you are not, this will keep you on the heading last transmitted from ATC at (B) on the chart in your post and you will end up at (D) or even further.

Hope this helps you, best of luck,

Edd

P.S.... I'm not sure but I think ATC will pick you up as a "missed approach" and vector you on a go around for another approach.

So, will ATC (on VATSIM) automagically direct me away from my flight plan? Or is that something i ask for?

Thanks for the reply, it certainly makes sense! :) I do use AP and also select APP when in range of ILS (hope thats right, i think it is anyway, its working ok so far!) But being in the computer and having computer ATC i assume is a lot different to "REAL" ATC such as VATSIM, just dont want to make an idiot of myself! :)

Thanks again, all the best

Eddy

The plan goes straight to D from C. The plan does not set you up for a nice approach by itself.

Ils only guides you the last 10 to 20 nm straight in.

You will have to maneuver into a good straight in approach position first.

Either go back to manual control somewhere after C, around 30 nm before reaching the airport.

Or, edit the flight plan by hand, add some waypoints so it leads you straight to the runway. To edit the flightplan, drag the red line with the mouse. You will have to control your altitude yourself and/or use ils at the end.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All planning should be done before even the engine(s) is (are) started! :cool:

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

This is pretty important in regards to ATC in FSX. It is not an accurate representation of ATC in real life. For example, I've had ATC in FSX start vectors (known as headings) to an approach 50-60 miles away. Sometimes even further. Never have I,in real life, done such a thing. Usually it's 30 to as little as 10 miles away when the vectors start. So in FSX your flight plan in reality may be expected to fly the exact route, but FSX ATC will start vectoring you regardless of what waypoints you put within that distance from your destination. This is where VATSIM varies greatly with FSX ATC. They will allow you to fly the departure procedures, arrival procedures, approaches, taxi routes, even sometimes realistic parking areas accordingly. Unfortunately, Microsoft fell short of this area. My recommendation if you want to fly the whole route, there is a technique I learned from someone else.

When talking to departure, they will eventually hand you over to Center. While climbing to the assigned altitude departure instructed you to climb to, you acknowledge the frequency change and change the frequency, but DO NOT call center. Just climb to your cruise altitude on your own and fly your route. Eventually you will have to start the descent. Still flying your route, you will level off at the altitude instruction departure gave you when climbing out. When ready to start getting vectors, contact center. ATC will start giving you vectors and line you up for landing. Another plus to this technique is if you have to walk away from the computer for a short bit while cruising, you won't have to worry about ATC dropping services after you didn't acknowledge a frequency change for about five times. (Also doesn't happen in real world)

PS you plan for which approach by what is in use at the destination. There are two ways to find out. ATC will flat out tell you when they start to vector you off your route, or you can listen to the ATIS, which isn't that reliable when you can't hear it in the sim until you're 50 miles away anyways. (Also not realistic. I've received ATIS more than 100 miles away at some airports.) So you don't really have much time to set it up and look over the approach.

Guest capt martin
Anybody know a way of getting engine reverse on a programmable setting button rather than going to throttle quadrant window in 2d cockpit or using point of view in 3d cockpit

Anybody know a way of getting engine reverse on a programmable setting button rather than going to throttle quadrant window in 2d cockpit or using point of view in 3d cockpit

What are you using for flight controls?

What are you using for flight controls?

In jets:

F1 (thrust idle)

then press and hold F2 (thrust decrease, causes thrust reverse also)

To stop reverse thrust, tap F3 (thrust increase). If you would press F1 the thrust would go from full reverse to idle very quickly. This would feel to passengers like braking very hard. (G-forces)

On prop planes it is different.

I think then it is 'press and hold "decrease rpm" (to set reverse).

Then slowly increase thrust.

Many planes, especially props, do not have reverse built in.

The default 737 and 747 definitely do.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

All the turboprops I've flown, you hit F1 for flight idle just before touchdown, then once you have WOW (weight-on-wheels) you tap F2 a few times for Beta (reverse thrust on the props), and to end it, either F1 or F3 the same number of times as you hit F2. I personally always hit F3 till I think I got it right, then F1 just to be sure.

The P-3C Orion (freeware. it's in the library here) has a handy set of lights indicating Beta on the props. Makes tapping F3 a lot easier. Just tap till the light goes out. The Grumman 7 project planes have the Beta ability, but no lights, but the C-130's I've played with do.

In jets, yeah, just hit F1, then, again, once you have positive/certain WOW, tap F2 to increase "reverse" thrust (it's not, really, but it's a simple explanation for the whole process). You can then easily hit F1 and the thrust will drop off, providing a realistic "feel" to reverse thrust.

Does all this help? Not all planes that "should" don't always have reverse, whether jets or TP's, but you can add the effect, if not the animation, in the Aircraft.cfg file. The Jets are a simple, 2 line addition, TP's are somewhat more complicated, but not too bad.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

So, will ATC (on VATSIM) automagically direct me away from my flight plan? Or is that something i ask for?

Thanks for the reply, it certainly makes sense! :) I do use AP and also select APP when in range of ILS (hope thats right, i think it is anyway, its working ok so far!) But being in the computer and having computer ATC i assume is a lot different to "REAL" ATC such as VATSIM, just dont want to make an idiot of myself! :)

Thanks again, all the best

Eddy

Hi Eddy,

In answer to your question. Yes, the default FS ATC is quite a bit different than the real world, but it's a start. As mentioned in other replies, at times it vectors you out 40 or more miles from airport before vectoring to the AOA to acquire ILS beam. Departure and Arrival are located at your A and D airports and can only see you in a radar screen within 40 nm of the airport so they couldn't do that if they wanted to, for example.

If you're really interested in learning proper proceedures there's a payware program that's very realistec and user friendly located at Avsim called RADAR CONTACT. One of the creators was a career ATCer. If you learn by using it, then go to VATSIM you might find you know more than some of the controlers there so you won't feel dumb. :)

I don't have a lot of payware, but this one is great quality and very realistic. The forum is located here.http://forum.avsim.net/forum/135-radar-contact-forum/

I hope this helps,

Herk

Acer Predator AG3620-UR308, 3rd Gen. Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology up to 3.9GHz (8MB Cache), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 SC (2GB), 2 TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12GB DDR3 SDRAM, Windows 8

Archived