What goes well with FS Genesis.

jefferysitz

I have spent a considerable amount of money to FSgenesis on 19m meshes for North America and Europe and 75m for the rest of the world. I have ran UT with FSgenesis and it does pretty good within the confines of what FS9 and FSX will do. So, since I have decent mesh, what should I be looking at for landclass? Hopefully one that plays well with FSgenesis. I know UTX will, but the consensus here seems to be that it is getting long in the tooth. Anybody know who makes a landclass without throwing in their own mesh?

I think consensus here is more that UTX is lacking behind, but only when compared to ORBX regions...

ORBX open-LC (landclass) is not finished for the US and I dont know if someone knows if/when it will be finished. When you search forums, you´ll find posts more than a year old saying that ORBX open-LC should be finished soon.

On the other hand, most of the US ORBX regions, you can get for around 14$ dollars each at the flightsimstore these days, and for that price they are a steal. IMHO, you dont need the extra ORBX addon airports unless you are a total scenery freakie. There are already many airports in the regions that have had a facelift that its like another world. Go get PNW or NZ-south island and you are lost.

UTX is not a complete landclass - it is a vector layer for urban areas. Orbx is textures, like GEX for FSX - it is not a landclass. The Open LC product is not complete but it is a landclass.

You can stay with the default landclass in P3D with no major issues or Scenery Tech and Xclass come to mind as decent products.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I have to have at least UTX. The stock landclass is impossible to navigate by at low levels. Most of the smaller towns are just not there. The ones that are there are just a slight greying of ground. This might be fine at 10,000 feet but at 1500-2000 feet flying vfr they are impossible. UTX does make the towns look more like towns and defines the roadways,rails and rivers to an extent you can fly with a sectional chart with no Nav. I fly 90 percent continental US and 90 percent of the time under 5000 feet. Not looking at the future, is there something better at VFR flying than UTX now?

IMHO, no. Since you already have UTX FSX it's an inexpensive upgrade to P3D version. Spending more on a competitive product that is not any better, especially in the US is a waste of funds.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Jeffery, IMO, untill ORBX releases OpenLC-US, stay with what yo have.

I had UT Europe in FS9 and I have ORBX global/vector/and OpenLC-Europe in P3D.

The ORBX package didn´t really come together untill the install of OpenLC-Europe.

Besides that, when OpenLC-US is comming one day in the future (if it comes) its going to be a HUGE package. I reckon some 10 - 20 gig including the first couple of patches. And the end result will still be far from what the regions offer. Buildings and airports will continue being very generic and lack a distinctive feel. Besides, all ORBX products that are in places where I have been a lot, have this tendency of making villages look to much the same. I explain: If you i real life have 2 villages close to each other, one with 100 citizens and another with 3000, then in ORBX, they tend to be like 1000 and 2000 citizens.

At this stage, we cant expect that to be better and I think it will take a long time to have more than we have.

I actually like flying in regions that I dont know in real life. Then I dont get confused and looking for things I wont find. Then I just enjoy myself. :pilot:

So, my advice could be buying an ORBX region or two now that they are cheap, so that you can compare and as far as I have understood (correct me if I´m wrong), the ORBX regions go well together with UTX. They overwrite UTX in the region where they are.

I fly a virtual airline (bush flying) in the US and so I have ORBX PNW, Central Rockies, Pacific Fjords and South Alaska. They are all good, but PNW is something special IMHO.

• 4 months later...
UTX is not a complete landclass - it is a vector layer for urban areas. Orbx is textures, like GEX for FSX - it is not a landclass. The Open LC product is not complete but it is a landclass.

You can stay with the default landclass in P3D with no major issues or Scenery Tech and Xclass come to mind as decent products.

Vic

Ok.. This is not that old, just a few months, but this is just wrong...

1)UTX *is* a complete landclass along with vector data, and where did this "just for urban areas" come from?

2) "ORBX" is a company name, not a product. ORBX's "FTX Global" product is textures just like GEX

3) default landclass is just wrong, in both FSX as well as P3d

we are talking as related to P3D here.

1) UTX is NOT a complete LC for P3D *YET*. They only released USA and Europe. Allen is working on updating the other areas. Perhaps I should have added the YET in my OP. Urban areas was a brain cramp. UTX provides accurate vector data for the areas it covers which include urban areas, etc.

2) People generically use ORBX to define all their products. I doubt anyone misunderstood what was posted but you are correct - it is the FTX Global product which competes with GEX.

3) A matter of opinion for the average simmer. A purist could find things wrong with ALL of them.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived