Installing new scenery in FSX

BryanJ

I've just purchased new scenery and want to add it to my FSX. I understand that I need to do this via the "Settings" menu with FSX running. I thought I had added the new scenery correctly but now I'm not so sure. Which new scenery folders and files should I see in the FSX scenery folder to ensure I have done it correctly? See the attached. The scenery purchased is FSGenesis NEXTMap South Africa. FSX new scenery.JPGAlso do I need to restart the computer for the changes to take effect? Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Bryan,

If the contents of NEXTMap World folder contain Scenery and Texture folders it's likely that you've installed correctly. I can't be sure though without knowing what FSGenisis has specified.

A computer restart is never necessary when adding scenery (at least I've never known of a case).

Jim F.

The scenery is installed. The next gen folder is there.

According to the instructions you describe, you now need to activate it. To do this you do not move any files.

It is done by adding it to the scenery library in fsx. Start fsx, do not start a flight. Click settings, click scenery library.

Click add area.

a little browser window opens.

Hard to put the instructions into words, found someone that explains it better using pictures:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/6035-how-to-add-scenery-to-fsx-with-windows-7/

good luck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The scenery is installed. The next gen folder is there.

According to the instructions you describe, you now need to activate it. To do this you do not move any files.

It is done by adding it to the scenery library in fsx. Start fsx, do not start a flight. Click settings, click scenery library.

Click add area.

a little browser window opens.

Hard to put the instructions into words, found someone that explains it better using pictures:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/topic/6035-how-to-add-scenery-to-fsx-with-windows-7/

good luck.

Thanks very much. Following your excellent graphics orientated guide for this the new add on scenery now appears OK in the FSX scenery list and is at priority position 1 which for me is fine as I run FSX around South Africa most of the time.. However I'm still a bit stuck. I cannot see any change or improvement in the standard Africa scenery that loads with FSX. Also when clicking on the "search add on scenery" button in the "Select Airport" window nothing shows up there. Should it? Also for what it's worth this NEXTMap South Africa download contains one big .bgl file in the Scenery folder but nothing in its Texture folder. So not sure now what improvement this download offers in scenery terms compared what's there in FSX as standard. Any help/ideas much appreciated!

FSX1.JPG

FSX2.JPG

FSX3.JPG

...I cannot see any change or improvement in the standard Africa scenery that loads with FSX. Also when clicking on the "search add on scenery" button in the "Select Airport" window nothing shows up there. Should it? Also for what it's worth this NEXTMap South Africa download contains one big .bgl file in the Scenery folder but nothing in its Texture folder. So not sure now what improvement this download offers in scenery terms compared what's there in FSX as standard. Any help/ideas much appreciated!

FSGenesis NEXTMap is terrain mesh. Detailed Elevation data. No textures.

You'll more than likely need to set your mesh sliders to the right to visualize any difference.

The difference on generally flat terrain is not going to be apparent. Hills and mountains though, shoud appear more realistic.

I've never manually installed an FSG product. The installer places the mesh.bgls in the proper FSX/Scenery/****path. No library activation necessary. Duplicate files can be a pain, so, do a Windows search of FSX/Scenery for dupe(s) of what you activated...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

I don't own a licence of the product myself. I did a little google searching. It looks like Don is correct, FXG is mesh. So, better terreain elevations, mountains etc. Not new airports.

There seem to be a few ways of installing.

-Using the installer.

All files will end up somewhere in the existing ..\Microsoft flight Simulator\Scenery folder. That way they don't need to be activated. But, you also can not easily disable them temporarily.

-Manual install.

(creating) A folder like you have,

..\\Addon scenery\NextMap World\scenery\ with in it all the .bgl files.

And, in the folder ..\\Addon Scenery\NextMap World\ also a ..\texture folder.

Then activating it in the library.

It looks to me like you correctly installed it using the manual method. One thing I don't know here is if your ..\\Addon scenery\NextMap World\scenery\ folder contains all the .bgl files. That is required of course. Those .bgl files are your new scenery files. They should all be in the ..\\Addon scenery\NextMap World\scenery\ folder together.

What I mean is, in that ..\\Addon scenery\NextMap World\scenery\ folder should just be a bunch of files. Not a bunch of folders with one or two files each in them.

Some people prefer the manual method because then they can easily disable and enable the mesh. To disable it you only need to remove the check mark in the scenery-library.

The reason for preferring manual install may be to see the difference between the new mesh and the default, or they want to switch the mesh on only for low slow flying in propeller aircraft.

Ok, what does that mean.

1 - If you only used the manual install AND you have the .bgl files in the ..\\Addon scenery\NextGen\scenery\ folder....

You have installed correctly. - Test if you see a difference in terrain/mountains with the scenery off or on in the library.

2 - If you installed manually and installed using the installer....

The files are in two locations.

In ..\Microsoft flight Simulator\Addon Scenery\

, AND in

..\Microsoft flight Simulator\Scenery\

This is not really correct. It will mean that if you disable it in the library, you will see no change, because then the other files are still being used.

I don't think it will cause conflicts. (But I agree with Don, duplicates can be a pain.)

One word of warning. If you want to remove the folder from ../Addon Scenery. ALWAYS START FSX AND REMOVE IT FROM THE SCENERY LIBRARY FIRST. --- THEN CLOSE FSX. -- ONLY then remove the folder.

Hope that helps. Sorry about all the shouting (capital letters). It's there for emphasis, not in anger.:):)

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for all the info. OK, it looks like everything is where it should be. The biggest hassle was knowing to click on that white space in the Scenery window when loading it into FSX. Microsoft sure can keep you guessing.....With this add on the .bgl file is just one big one - around 1.3GB and is sitting in the Scenery sub folder in the folder I created named South Africa. That way I can identify this add on and change/edit.remove it as per your recommendations and input I have seen elsewhere. Now to find some upgrades for South African airport scenery. Thanks again. Good to know there are helpful friends out there!

If the \scenery subfolder (with the .bgl) is in a folder named "south afrika", then "south afrika" is what needs to be activated.

Try that.

(From your first screenshot i got the impression the \scenery folder was in a folder called "Next... " or something.)

enjoy,

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived