FSX and windows 8.1

jespergb

If you are flying in FSX using only a keyboard and mouse, you should have no problems with Windows 8.1 (assuming a proper installation of FSX).

If you fly using a joystick or other controller then all bets are off and you may very well find yourself having disconnect problems!

Mike Mann

If you fly using a joystick or other controller then all bets are off and you may very well find yourself having disconnect problems!

If you are running a joystick or other hardware more than 3 years old or hardware that never got a Vista/Win7/Win8 driver, you're going to have problems.

Will FSX run in win8.1 with nVidia cards ? I read a lot of people having trouble or ?

Yes, it runs just fine. But there are some issues that I'm fighting that I haven't solved - yet.

My system is a new build, just for flight simulators (X-Plane 10.31 and FSX/Acceleration):

Intel 4790K 4.4GHz CPU (not yet overclocked but capable of 5.0GHz); Asus Maxumus VII Hero mobo with USB3 6.0GHz ports; EVGA nVidia GTX 970 4GB Superclocked, and Win 8.1 64-bit (more info if anyone wants it, but it's not important to this thread) Framerates on this beast at stock clock speeds are high enough most people won't believe it, so I'll not post them here.

The problem that I haven't (yet) solved concerns my USB controllers (CH Eclipse Yoke, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle). All of these work great in X-Plane 10. But with FSX, everytime I start FSX up, my axis/button assignments are "scrambled" between the controllers. So, for example, I may get my elevator and ailerons assigned to my pedals (which is of course impossible as there is only one axis). I can go back in and reset everything and it "sticks" for the current session, but when I restart, it's all messed up again.

There are a couple of things I will try today. With my "old" Win 7 system, I found that the CH Control Manager (software from CH Products) causes calibration conflicts with FSX, so I uninstalled that in Win 7 and just used FSX for calibration and assignments. I haven't installed CH Control Manager in my 8.1 system but will try it. Also, I have FSUIPC (paid version) installed in my Win 7 system for connection to my moving map software. It is also installed in the 8.1 system but I will uninstall it from 8.1 and see if that makes any difference. I have not used FSUIPC to assign or calibrate any of the controllers, so that should be a "pass through" but I'll uninstall it and see what happens, anyway.

I have searched the 'net, the CH forums, Microsoft FAQ's and other sources without a solution. I do not think this is a Win 8.1 issue since these controllers work normally with X-Plane.

I've seen several unrelated claims of problems with 8.1 and FSX, but they are all different. My system is a bit different because I'm running USB3 6.0GHz USB ports, not USB2 (they are backwards compatible) and not many gamers are (yet) running 8.1. Aside from the controller glitch, everything I've thrown at 8.1 works perfectly and I've been using it on 2 laptops for nearly a year although I don't use them for games. Do not fear 8.1.

• 2 weeks later...
I, too, am having a bit of difficulty with joysticks - CH Pro Pedals & Saitek X52 controllers...and yes, they're more than 3 years old. I'm running FSX on a clean (new) 1tb hd & W8.1, but on an older (5-6yrs) tower. I've tried a few different things, all to no avail, so I think I'm going to have to invest in new equipment...sigh. I know the stick needs to be replaced - the pinkie switch is stuck on & I can't fix it, but the pedals work just fine. Of course, a new motherboard will probably help, too :)

Archived