Need help in finishing my new computer build.

Hi, I started this thread at the regular FSX forum, but Loki suggested trying it here, which makes perfect sense. so here is what I need help with:

A few months ago I decided to build a new system capable of running FSX as well as Prepar3D. At that time a fellow simmer here at flightsim was generous enough to guide me through the parts purchasing process thru PMs.

I did get to purchase some parts, but a combination of health issues & hospital stays combined with my suddenly not being able to communicate with the above mentioned fellow simmer forced me to put my plans on hold. I have noticed there has not been any posts from him to anyone for several months, so I hope he is doing well.

In any case, since I am a confessed nul when it comes to computers, if there is anyone here who has extensive knowledge and is willing to help me finish my project please reply either thru this post or PM me.

This is what I have bought so far:

-1.0 TB WD Black HD

-Corsair RM850 R

-Samsung 500gb SSD

-Nvidia EVGA GTX760 4gb

-Microsoft Windows 7 Pro

A million thanks for any advice or guidance:)

Budget? That's important.

Uses? Primarily FSX / P3D?

Case size? Is it going to be tucked away?

I have a few wishlists created at different price points and performance levels...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Hi Don, thanks for the help.

Budget: I have some money set aside, not a lot, but I am not looking to build a super expensive mega computer with extra fancy cooling systems, etc ( I do want some sort of cooling though). I am not that tech savvy so I wouldn't do the upkeep well at all.

Uses: primarily FSX and Prepar3D, web browsing, etc, no work use.

Case: While I was still in contact with my fellow simmer, he was recommending the following

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=cooler_master_case-_-11-119-160-_-Product

And these as well:

Asus Z97A or Maximus VII hero Z97

I do like to create and use my own photoscenery, use a lot of payware addons airports, planes, weather, textures, etc.

The computer I currently use is a Costco bought Dell with a cheap graphics card, and with all my addons my frame rate barely breaks 10, so I do want something that will get me around 20-30 frames with sliders in the middle.

Let me know if you have any other question.

Bernardo.

That HAF 932 is huge! It's what I have. I love it!

Superb cooling, with one minor drawback: No filters on the fans.

The HAF X(RC-942-KKN1) is very similar and does have filters. Mucho Mo'Money...

Pretty much any CPU cooling solution, up to a 360+mm(3x120mm fans) radiator will fit inside the case.

Budget Air: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO with a 2nd fan(brackets are included).

High end Air: Thermalright Silver Arrow, Noctua NH-D14, Phanteks PH-TC14PE.

NH-D14 is my favorite, simply because it performs very well, and, does it quieter.

Budget h2o: CORSAIR Hydro Series H90 140mm, fits in the rear fan location.

CORSAIR Hydro Series H105 or Cooler Master Seidon 240M, 240mm closed loop system fits in the top of the case.

Custom h2o loops are avilable from mild to wild. Probably not your cuppa...

Z97 Motherboards: The Asus Z97A is at the low end, and the Maximus VII Hero Z97 is probably overkill for your purposes.

IMO, there are three standouts that offer excellent performance and won't break the bank; ASUS Z97-PRO, GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H, and, ASRock Z97 Extreme6.

The Extreme6 offers some later tech that is only avilable from ASRock. Better Future??

Intel's i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz($235 egg), i5-4690K @ 3.4GHz($209 egg), i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz($335 egg), and i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz($299 egg) are the best choices for your CPU. The 4670K or 4770K will work without possibly needing a BIOS update.

The 4690K and 4790K may need a BIOS update if the selected motherboard was built prior to the mfgs latest BIOS release. Sometimes the mfgs are slow getting the updates into production.

IMO, there isn't but one choice: The i7-4790K. It comes out of the box @ 4.0GHz and Turbos to 4.4GHz. The heatsink and fan that are included should be fine without overclocking any further.

The drawback is: your motherboard's BIOS may need an update to fully support it.

After you select your mobo, go to it's website and peruse the qualified memory list(QVL). While not all inclusive(Plenty of unlisted RAM may still be OK), if it's on the list you can bet it will work.

The Haswell CPUs' IMC(Internal/Integrated Memory Controller) really likes fast RAM, and, so does FSX. My suggestion would be DDR3-2400 cas 10 as a minimum. The super fast stuff carries a hefty premium, so, balance performance with budget.

Your EVGA GTX760 should be OK, with judicious slider action, at CPU speeds of 4-4.5GHz.

Consider adding a smaller, cheaper SSD. Place Windows and all of your other apps there, leaving the big SSD for FSX/P3D. Unless you have a ton of Photo scenery, and it all won't fit, an SSD is best for that too.

I think I've covered just about everything. Let me know. Good Luck...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and very helpful response Don, I will have a very close look at what you wrote after everyone goes to bed, but I will say that I agree on the processor, it has to be the i7 4790 and I think Newegg has it now at $299.00. I tried calling them earlier because I had a rebate gift card from them ($20) that expired unused, so I was trying to see if they would reactivate it, but the hold time was 45 minutes. I will try tomorrow. Bernardo.

Just FYI: There is a Micro Center in Tustin. An Hour/Fifty miles away.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/tustin.aspx

They have the i7-4790K for $249.99, but, it's out of stock today.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434176/Core_i7-4790K_40GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor

They also offer occasional mobo/cpu bundles that can save an additional $40.

It might be worth a phone call to find out when they expect a restock and if your mobo selection qualifies for bundle pricing. Might be worth the drive...Don

• 1 month later...

When I made those suggestions I had already checked the CPU QVLs.

All of those suggested will need a BIOS update if the mobo has an older build date.

By now I would expect they'd all have the updates applied from the factory, but, I've read a few reviews that say that isn't the case. Probably old shelf stock...Don

Archived