Displaying info while flying

jandjfrench

Hi,

There have been times when I wanted info while flying without having to print it out or run FSX in a window so I could get to it. Yesterday, I came across an FS9 saved flight that involved soaring and included instructions that included thermal info that was needed to get to the final airport. I came up with a popup window to display the info.

Here's what I did.

Using the snipping tool I captured the info from a text file and saved it to the desktop as a jpg. Then using PIXresizer I converted it to a BMP with the name "Info.bmp". Here's the jpg version (smaller file size):

Capture.JPG

I next opened the Schweizer 2-32 folder Panel.cfg. I'd previously copied the aircraft from FS9 to FSX.

I added Window04 to the Window Titles section:

[Window Titles]

window00=Main Panel

Window02=GPS

Window03=Mini Panel

Window04=Info Panel

Then I added a new window:

[Window04]

file=Info.bmp

size_mm=675,197

window_size= 0.5

window_pos= 0.25, 0.25

ident=10001

I chose the size_mm to match the bmp size in pixels.

I winged it as far as what was needed to display the info and haven't played with the coding but it worked on first try. Pushed Shift+5 and the BMP showed up in the middle of the screen.

Jim F.

Edit: I forgot to say that I added Info.bmp to the Schweizer's panel folder.

That's really cool, very creative!

For a while I was editing the uires\nobrief.htm file and looking at it in the kneeboard (Mission Briefing tab). It's an html file so you can use image files and formatted text (eg. chart jpg files captured with snipping tool, flight plan, weather reports).

Now I throw this info into Google Drive and look at it on an Android tablet but the kneeboard method worked reasonably well.

Hey bdf,

I didn't know that about uires\nobrief.htm. I had added info to the checklist and reference tabs. I still haven't tinkered with the coding anymore. I'd like to simply name an image info.bmp and put in in the panel folder and have it display. I recall reading that unless you specify size information the image will default to 100x100 pixels. That would be too small without resizing in FSX. For consistency between aircraft perhaps window08 could be used when available. Lot of things to try and see what happens. I was amazed when the image showed up!

Jim F.

Archived