Do downloaders need 3rd party scenery as well?

boomtisqwerty

Hi guy, I am making some scenery and was going to put it up on this site. in the scenery I have included 3rd party add on objects. so if someone were to download the scenery which has 3rd party objects in, would they need to download the 3rd party objects that I used too? To be specific, I am making a Vashon Municipal Airport scenery and have included quite a few 3rd party hangars in it. Any help much appreciated. Thanks,

RB

Yes, for others to see the hangars they would need to have the object libraries on their PC.

Keep a list of what object libraries are required, and where to find them, and include it in your readme.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Ok thanks. Would it be allowed for me to include those necessary .bgl files in the package? I am unable to email anyone at the moment as my email is not working right now so I can't contact the authors. The majority of my object addons are by Sidney Schwartz but I think I used some others

Would it be allowed for me to include those necessary .bgl files in the package?

Not a good idea as it can only cause problems for those users that already have them installed on their PCs.

I am unable to email anyone at the moment as my email is not working right now so I can't contact the authors. The majority of my object addons are by Sidney Schwartz but I think I used some others

There is no need to contact anyone if their object libraries are already available from the popular file libraries.

If you are using custom objects from other people's scenery addons, then yes, you would need their permission to use their objects.

BTW, without a working e-mail most libraries will not accept your submission. You need to have contact info in your readme for places like FlightSim.com and Avsim.com to accept your addon.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

"There is no need to contact anyone if their object libraries are already available from the popular file libraries"- I was just thinking about saving all the hassle of getting the downloader to surf the web for the required addon. I know I don't like having to do that when installing scenery.

What I mean by addon objects is the addon file libraries that you can get for ADE9 and RWY12, not other peoples airport sceneries. If that is what you interpreted.

I have uploaded files before without an email address in my readme file fine. All my FSX scenery readme files have no email and all of those made it out fine?

I have managed to get my email working now. The problem was something to do with a code and I didn't see the little button in the corner saying 'I can't do this right now'.

"There is no need to contact anyone if their object libraries are already available from the popular file libraries"- I was just thinking about saving all the hassle of getting the downloader to surf the web for the required addon. I know I don't like having to do that when installing scenery.

And I do not like spending time troubleshooting problems caused by people who upload readily available libraries.

Nor do I like having the same .bgl files, and .bmp files spread out all over my PC.

Nor do I like spending time removing that stuff from downloads knowing the problems they can cause. In fact, if I open a .zip these days and see familiar object libraries I usually trash can the whole thing right away.

The bottom line should be, if you did not make it you should not distribute it. Tell people what you used and where to find it.

Yes, it was a pain downloading a bunch of libraries the first time. You only have to do it once.

I have uploaded files before without an email address in my readme file fine. All my FSX scenery readme files have no email and all of those made it out fine?

Sounds to me like the library managers are falling asleep on the job. What good are making rules if you do not enforce them?

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

Ok I have come to the conclusion that I will not bother making the scenery available to the public because it is just going to be way to much to do: Sorting out which objects I used in the scenery, getting permission to actually release them with my scenery and packaging the scenery with the links to the objects. Not worth it in my opinion. And by the way,

"Nor do I like having the same .bgl files, and .bmp files spread out all over my PC"- Generally you put all the scenery .bgl files in the same folder as all the other scenery .bgl files, in the scenery folder, the same with the .bmp textures, they go with all the other .bmp textures, in the texture folder. And if they are already there, you can overwrite them. So they won't actually be all over your PC, they will be in the same place which is the place they were designed for. If you don't use them? Delete them!

Anyway, thanks for answering my question and I will bear it in mind next time.

RB (Qwerty)

I do not dump all of my addons in one folder, nor do I recommend anyone else do that either.

It makes troubleshooting and updating next to impossible.

Not to mention that just because 2 files have the same name means that they are the same file.

So if you upload a couple sceneries that include one of Sidney's libraries (and all of it's textures) and 5 other developers do the same thing I can conceivably have 10-15 copies of the same library (and it's textures) needlessly taking up a bunch of hard drive space.

Now I go to one of the addons and there is one of Sidney's hangars that has a texture problem.

How do I go about figuring out which one is causing the problem?

Trust me when I say this can be a big pain in the rear to fix as I have done it dozens of times.

And again, if you are only using libraries such as Sidney's, you do not need his permission.

If all you are doing is generating scenery placement files and not including his models or textures then you are OK.

peace,

the Bean

Never argue with idiots.

"I do not dump all of my addons in one folder, nor do I recommend anyone else do that either."- I meant Scenery BGL files go in the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder

"Not to mention that just because 2 files have the same name means that they are the same file."- I have never done this before but would it work to rename it?

And again, if you are only using libraries such as Sidney's, you do not need his permission.//If all you are doing is generating scenery placement files and not including his models or textures then you are OK.- But before you said don't distribute them if you did not make them.

My question is answered and that's all I wanted. I don't want to go into this whole 'what if' thing, I am not the walking dictionary of Flight Simulation and I don't know everything. Thanks again and I hope to speak to you soon,

Qwerty

Archived