Installing Golden Wings FS9?

drake4896

I came across this site called Golden Wings today while googling for "Bill Lyons". I don’t understand how installing this addon will not affect my current set up of FS9.

“Golden Wings 3 (GW3) Main Install Package Transform FS9 into the golden age of flying

By Bill Lyons and many more ( Please see credits) Will not affect your FS9 install, switch back and forth

A must have for any collection...freeware”

I see several downloads at the site here:

http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/GW3.htm

It seems the GW project has been archived but I have not found much "how to" info.

Which ones are the basic “must have files” to use?

Years ago there was a site, I think called ,”The Old Hanger”, which had a 1930’s scenery set up for FS98. I think this GW3 is a similar addon for FS9.

I am interested in this mod for FS9 but I do not have the HD space on my pc for two FS9 installs. If this mod can be simply turned off and on ... I'm all for it.

Thanks

Drake

Yup, it's the same Golden Wings. No, it cannot be turned on & off. You must have a 2nd version of FS9. I have, & I'm finding I'm spending far more time in my GW.

Harddrives are so cheap now, it may be worth while getting a new one. You may have problemscropping up on your existing drive if it is very full. Always have at least 15% free.

Anyhow, to install GW..

1. Rename your existing FS9.exe to something like fs91.exe.

2. Rename your existing FS9 install FOLDER to something like FS91.

3. Install FS9 again.

Because you have renamed the original exe & folders, a new & second install will take place.

DO NOT RUN YET!!!

4. Rename the NEW FS9.exe to Golden Wings or whatever.

5. Rename the NEW FS9 install FOLDER to Golden Wings. or whatever.

6. Rename the renamed FS9.exe back to the original name.

7. Rename the renamed FS9 install FOLDER back to the original name.

You have now created a 2nd version of FS9 called Golden Wings!

Run this new version & it will complete settings etc.

8. Download READ & follow the install instructions of ALL the parts of Golden Wings ( not many at all.

9. Install it into the Golden Wings installation just created.

10. Run & have fun.

Also look at http://ford-tri-motor.net/ for a whole bunch of planes, textures, SCENERY (flipping AMAZING stuff) that you can install into either FS9 or GW.

Happy Landings,

Regards,

Robin

Cape Town South Africa

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks Robin for the steps I need to take to do this 2nd install correctly.

I checked the FS9 hard drive requirements needed and it is 1.8 gig for a new install. I can install 12 gig more on this old pc and still have the extra 15% free space.

Thanks Bernard for the extra addons sites for more goodies.

I have been flying the last few months on Tuesdays afternoons with 3 friends online with TS3 and we fly low and slow. This GW addon will be prefect for these flights.

You will have 2 'fs9.exe' ICONS on your desktop. So you also need to name them different so you know which FS9 you are starting up. So rename your present FS9 icon BEFORE you install the second FS9. IE: 'FS9 D' (for 'Default') for the original icon and 'FS9 GW' for the other one (GW). My 2 cents / suggestion.

Myself, I just have made ALL the changes to the default install and use GW textures & improvements. You can still fly all or any aircraft you have. They won't 'see' any difference. FS9 works the same. But you will enjoy your low & slow flights more, which is the idea.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived