FSX - 10 Years After

stevendirks

After being away from flight simming for 10 years I'm now in the world of FSX. Started with Flight Sim with 5.0 many moons ago. Joined Flightsim.com long time ago. FS2002 was my last custom setup. I'll skip the past month of my tinkering with and customizing the FSX demo and begin with the arrival of FSX Standard yesterday. (3 days late even though I paid for a two day - UPS guy shrugged when I asked why a two day took five days)

Install - Here is where the fun begins, and everything ends. I discovered the hard way FSX does not create it's own Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder when you target the install to a location other then program files/microsoft games - now I have all the installed files scattered around in one of my custom personal directories all over the place with no root folder-file tree. That was a real surprise. (OS Sim Files user/app/roaming etc are where they are to supposed to so at least that worked.)

Next is the obvious. The activation bug. No luck 18 hours later. Amazingly Service Pack 1 installed.

Even though it works I have a major mess to repair obviously.

Thanks for letting me vent! Wish me luck.

I don't know yet. :o

I'll have to assume my install target is my root folder. I expected to see a Flight Simulator X file tree with everything neatly placed. This did not happen. Everything is scattered about among my personal user and program files. I have created a new folder - and I am copying everything to it in the hope I will have a neat, clean, normal Flight Simulator X file tree.

I'm not going to touch the original files as they were installed just yet until I am activated. I'm not attached to Service Pack 2. Service Pack 1 installed okay. I am not going to get into heavy customization. Just some "power tweaks", texture upgrades, and a few aircraft. Activation is the main annoyance right now. I just went through a month of battling 30 minute time limits and mastering Juliana VFR landings. I'll keep trying the "easy activation". Once I get past that barrier I'll feel a little less tense.

I uninstalled and the software would not let me reinstall. Only repair or uninstall. I was hoping to just put a reinstall into the standard directory (Program Files) so I could just get on with it and practice flying. No success. It works, but the folder layouts from this install are a mess. I'm quite surprised I've never had an install or upgrade issue from FS5 all the way through FS2002. 24 hours later I'm still dealing with mess. Thanks for the help though.

Hi steven,

I think it likely that you selected the root folder as the install location and in the process deleted too much of the default location data. All is not lost however. If this was to the root of C, unless some joker has turned it off, system protection is on by default. A simple restore to a point prior to the install will make it all seem like this never happened.

Jim F.

I have created a new folder - and I am copying everything to it in the hope I will have a neat, clean, normal Flight Simulator X file tree.

And when you have copied the files how will FSX know where they are? My experience is if you moved them then FSX will re-create a default in the original folder

Okay one last shot since I've attempted every suggestion out there - - Phone Call. If that doesn't work I guess the only option is uninstall everything, repair any damage, try it again, and if that doesn't work refund. What an ordeal. I suppose I could get used to 30 minute flights doing a couple touch and gos. Ugh.

Hi Steven,

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. When you do a Windows Update do you see this screen?

Restore.jpg

Note where it says setting a restore point. This means all changes to your system will be monitored and they can be undone with System Restore to this point. When you said backup externally that's definitely apples and oranges. I'm not talking backup.

If you're not sure about that message try this. Assuming you have a "Computer" icon on the desktop, right-click on it and then click Properties. In the window that opens click on System protection in the left column. In the new window click System Restore and in that new window you can read what it says or simply click Next. This will show the restore points available if protection is on. If you have a point prior to the first FSX install you're in good shape. All changes made to your system since that point will be undone with the exception of updated text type files.

If you're not the one that turned system protection off and C drive is the one to which you installed FSX I'd find out who turned it off and punch them in the mouth! I also recommend turning it on for whatever drive FSX is on.

And you really have nothing to lose as System Restore is 100% reversible!

Jim F.

Reason I do not use Win 7 system restore is it begins gobbling up excessive disk space eventually and messes with performance. I'm attempting to have a sense of humor right now after 30+ hours messing with this. The thing is I just want the basic Sim with say the Sp1 fixes - and that fine. I want to practice flying techniques and procedures that's it! I can't even activate the basic FSX Standard I just got. I also paid for a two day UPS and got it five days later. I purchased it online from Microsoft store. It's up and running just can't activate this thing?. I keep thinking "have I been screwed?" I paid for a full software package that's locked into a 30 minute demo mode that you can't activate Damn ... :confused:

Hi Steven,

You can set the disk space protection uses and can't imagine why it would have an effect on performance. I do a lot of video work which quickly uses up all the protected space so continually have to remember to manually set a restore point.

But it seems you're having just an activation problem and there's a cure for that. Search for this:

MS Software Reset Licensing

mskb928080.exe

Jim F.

Woo Hoo! Strangest install of a FS Sim I've ever experienced. But it works fine despite the bizarro folder placements. FSUIPC found it in seconds, etc.

Only problem now is activating it, then dealing with the "fatal error" on exit that uiautomationcore.dll apparently didn't fix. What a life!

These here seem to be causing a problem. Don't know if it's related to the activation process or the "shutdown restarting" error. Anyone familiar with these gremlins?

AppData\Local\Temp\WER3C83.tmp.appcompat.txt

AppData\Local\Temp\WER4887.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

AppData\Local\Temp\WER5E68.tmp.hdmp

AppData\Local\Temp\dxdiag.exe.5c34.wxhu.dmp

AppData\Local\Temp\WER90EE.tmp.ref

AppData\Local\Temp\WERA46F.tmp.dbgcfg.ini

AppData\Local\Temp\WERA47F.tmp.xml

Strange problems. I did my own thing & installed into it's default directory, Turned UAC right down. I have installed 2x versions of Fs9, FSX & P3D this way, on my i5 Windows 7 64bit 4GB laptop. Never a days problem or issue at all.

I would delete everything, use CCleaner & Glary's (as a backup) to clear the install & registry. Then I would install FSX, activate it (I did it by phone), then install Accelleration & activate that. All should be great!

It worked for me. I never had to use uiautomationcore.dll.

Methinks people make their own problems by following someone that is regarded as the guru of sims?

Try it, you can always delete it!

Just thinking the folders scattered over the place may cause problems when add-ons are installed? the folders have to be found.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hey Steven, you've got FSX Standard if I read you right, it's the original ancient 2006 version and although you can update it with service packs and the Acceleration expansion, it might be less hassle to bite the bullet and go buy FSX Gold which is the latest and best.

For the record-

WIKI- "Flight Simulator X was released in three editions: Standard, Deluxe, and later Gold.

The Deluxe Edition incorporates additional features, including an on-disc software development kit (SDK), three airplanes with theGarmin G1000 Flightdeck, and the ability for the player to act as Air Traffic Control (ATC) for other online users with a radar screen.

Aircraft available in the Deluxe Edition but not in the standard edition include the Augusta Westland AW101, Boeing F/A-18 Hornet, the Grumman G-21A Goose and the P-51D Mustang. The Maule Orion is flyable in the Deluxe edition but as AI aircraft in the standard Edition.

Gold Edition combines the Deluxe Edition and the Acceleration expansion pack into one"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X

I don't want acceleration. I want the plain vanilla FSX Standard with SP1. That's all I need. I've come to the conclusion at this point the best bet is to not invest in any Microsoft Product they no longer support. Not being being able to easily activate this base product online - that is still being published and sold to the public - is ludicrous. I'll try to make the phone call to tech support and see if they have some kind of magic bullet to activate. If not I'm sending it back for a full refund. This is ridiculous.

I'm wondering why the installer installed FSX into the C:/ folder in the first place.

To my way of thinking, there is some problem with the OP's Windows installation, not FSX. The only time I have had a similar problem is when I have unzipped a file direct to its intended location instead of unzipping to a Temp Folder first.

I know the OP is not unzipping anything, just running the MS Installer.

There are fixes and patches for the MSI that will correct a corrupted Windows MSI.

Installing and activating FSX has never caused me a problem.

Bob

Sent from my tablet thingy!

Archived