Nvidia Inspector

usb777

Been trying different settings with the Nvidia Inspector (Nicks Kosta's) What is the default setting that I started with the Global base setting?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Thanks Jim. Just been trying other things and always try to remember my way back. You know

1. did it work?

Answer: Yes

2. did you mess with it, change it?

Answer: Yes

3. You IDIOT!

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

As I take , you use the Nvidia Inspector. I would be interested in your settings with your build. Aside from my signature I now use triple monitors which is really cool.

Mike G.

Cool! Thank you!

Mike G.

What Video Card are you using and Processor if I may ask?

Mike G.

Card is basically yours except it's a Gigabyte, GTX770/ 4 Gb. CPU is an i7-2600K at 4.2 GHz. I don't know where all that crap under "SLI compatibility bits" came from in my DX9 NI settings BTW, I run just one card and one monitor. That was an old NI preset that I loaded just for the screenshot so it probably has something to do with an old driver from a year ago or more. I don't think it has any relevance to anything and I don't remember seeing it there when I was actively using those settings. Also right now I'm using that hacked laptop driver that they came up with when everyone was playing with DSR. I just haven't gotten around to updating to a newer release version yet.

Jim

What do you set your FPS at if I may ask? I run mine unlimited but have bandicam running that lock me at 30 fps. Tried different ways but that seems to give me the best all round. The big airports slow to 15-20 but I have tons of ai and sliders even the water maxed. (I like the water high with the cloud reflections and shadows. That's what hits hard) If I back down the water the card runs 30 across the board.

Mike G.

I lock mine at 33 in DX10 and I always locked them at 40 in DX9. I saw something from Beau Hollis about vsync and leaving a couple extra frames for overhead which is why I use 33 rather than 30. I can't remember what he said, and of course it applied to P3D2 but it made sense to me at the time, lol.

I tried locking frames externally (I tried that little FPS locker that you run with a batch file and also locking them in NI) but when I do that my ground textures got blurry so I started just locking them within the sim. I find locked [somewhere] gives me quite a bit more smoothness, sometimes I use FSRecorder to render video and it unlocks frames and doesn't lock them back when it's finished. I've fired up the sim the following day and thought "gawd, what the hell is wrong with this thing" because it was stuttering so bad, but then I remember FSRecorder unlocked my frames so locking them back down fixes it.

There's a page here that shows a little test I did between P3D2 and FSX, don't know if you're running P3D2 so you might not care about the comparison but it shows all my FSX settings and what FSUIPC's log file gave me for an average FPS over a 20 min flight around Seattle. I think we're pretty close though, I get 15-20 around complex airports too, sometimes less. I find ground scenery casts shadows has quite and impact as well as, like you say, the water. Are you running DX10 BTW?

Haven't gotten to checking out DX10. Sounds like we are on the same page though as far as tuning. Yes, I use FSRecorder to and that's another + running the bandicam locked at 30. I tried locking FSX but just didn't give me the frames like going unlimited and using the bandicam to lock the fps. Both ways were smooth though. Like I said though, I really push the envelope on the water and graphics but that is part I like. I also use REX textures and Active Sky. I use mostly Kosta's tweaks but work with Nicks as well just couldn't get the desired results locking FSX for some reason. Not in general I am talking around KSEA, KLAX and KJFK places You know most of them I'm sure. Thank you for sharing your specs with me.

Mike G.

As I see Jim you are into Prepared3D? I have been looking to get it but unsure of which program as I see several different one's Any recommendations? You probably have a good insight as to what I am into now with FS9 annd FSX under my belt though I still have much to learn I still like expanding and seeing more and more things out there on Prepared3D.

Mike G.

Just get the academic version of P3D2 and don't look back. It's essentially the same as the $200 version (whatever it's called) except there's a very unobtrusive watermark in the upper right corner of the screen that says "Academic License". I have the academic version and I'm in the solution developer's group at LM (that means I'm a beta tester), everyone knows I'm running academic and most of the other beta team members are too, nobody cares, Wes Bard himself put me into that group.

v1.4 is basically FSX, v2.x is new and runs in DX11. The new shadow system is probably the biggest advancement, shadows can cast on buildings instead of just the ground, autogen trees can cast shadows across a road or onto a building, etc. A chainlink fence where the transparency is controlled by the alpha channel in the texture can cast a chainlink shadow. In FSX all it can do is cast the square shadow from the modeled plane the texture is applied to so you generally set "no shadow" for a fence because the shadow looks completely out of place. Also there are the VC shadows which are impressive especially if you haven't seen them in FSX/DX10 yet.

(click for full size)

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/p3d2_alpha_shdws.jpg

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/x40_14.jpg

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/x40_15.jpg

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/x40_12.jpg

also clouds cast shadows on everything too:

http://www.cat-tamer.com/flightsim/atchmnts/kmyl_ksun03.jpg

Jim

Thank you, nice graphics. Also, is there as much to learn on tweaking the program like FSX or can you really just start todo other things like I see in your pictures addons what not.

Mike G.

Couple more questions if I might, Do you think P3D2 will run well on triple monitors? I can add more memory but Like I have my FS9 installed on an external hard drive (E drive) FSX is on the C drive though I do have 112 GB free at the moment with lots of add ons I do keep most of my flyable aircraft in a hanger to increase start up time which right now around 1 1/2 minutes.

Mike G.

It's pretty much tweak-free although I do use an Nvidia Inspector profile with a little SGSS because otherwise there's a small amount of shimmering on runway markings and digital nav radio displays, etc. I also tweak the shadow resolutions downward in the Prepare3D.cfg which increases performance quite a bit with just a little loss in quality. Some folks say SGSS really kills performance for them, in my case I don't notice much difference. It seems to have more of a performance impact flying at Dusk/dawn but I usually don't fly those times of day.

There are a bunch of shader tweaks floating around too but those just modify appearance mostly and don't have any affect on performance. If there's a file that can be tweaked someone will tweak it, lol. Because of that it could be said that there's a lot of tweaking to do but it runs just fine without touching anything.

On triple monitors I'm not the one to ask because I have no experience at all with multi-monitors but I think a lot of the guys over at Avsim use them.

I would seriously consider buying an SSD to install P3D onto (and FSX too) if you don't have one, my FSX is a mess with hundreds of airplanes and sceneries installed and I can load a saved flight at Orbx KSFF with the Carenado Skymaster in under a minute. P3D2 seems to load and unload considerably faster than FSX though but maybe that's because I don't have many addons installed. I have a hybrid Cessna 172 (part FSX, part Carenado, part RealAir), the FSX Agusta EH101, and a couple sceneries I'm working on installed and that's about it.

Thanks, my FSX is installed on the internal SSD and the external storage drives I use I believe are SSD's I thought. Could be wrong. I just tried installing my FS9 on one just as an experiment and it works just as well as it does installed on my old computer.

Mike G.

Archived