Default Airport mishap and questions

b3burner

EDIT: Let me save anyone else the trouble and time of reading through this. Was pulling my hair out most of the day trying to figure out where I went wrong and what I overlooked. I finally found it... made all the sense in the world after I had time away to rest on it... but not in the most obvious of places:

The alt files in the scenery/world/scenery folder! I forgot when I change the altitude of an airport, it creates alt.bgl's outside the addon scenery folder where the main .bgl is going. My mistake for not thinking of that sooner, but I can rest better tonight. The erroneous 'UA0J', 'UA0K', and miscued 'UA0E' files are now all gone. The index has returned to how it was before hand. And the altitude of the original 'UA0E' now matches the default ground it is set upon:

solution scn wrld scn alt bgl folder.jpg

Original post below:

I downloaded a new airport that hadn't previously existed in the default, so that AI planes could land there. The author placed the new airport with a new name and ICAO, very close to an existing airport with diff name/ICAO. With runways almost cris-crossing, and overlapping tower views, I decided one of them needed to be moved.

I moved the default airport with ADE9 out of the way about a 1/2 mile, to make more room for the new airport. Maybe I should have done it the opposite way, but you know... hindsight is....

So I deleted the default airport's runway, traded it for a small 60' x 60' helipad, to give it a relatively smaller footprint off in the distance where it wouldn't be in the way. I was careful not to do anything to disrupt the scenery/asia/scenery/AP9xxXXX.bgl file itself, but rather make an add on .ad4 > .bgl file for the default airport. For whatever reason, I first had problems with the original airport and runway wanting to bleed through my scenery. For this reason I experimented with changing the default airport's name and ICAO after I moved it, and that's where my problems began.

It started off named 'UA0E' (a Kazakhstani airport). I changed the code to 'UA0J' and the name to the name of the town plus the word 'heliport', just to see if that would affect the airport's behavior. Convinced that it made no diff, I went to change it back, and delete the 'UA0J.bgl' file I had created, and that's when the problems began.

I could not get rid of the UA0J name in the airport index. The sim opens up with both the UA0E and 0J to choose from at the same exact location with the same heliport name, and the two ICAO codes are atop one another on the sim map.

In utter frustration I thought changing the name to a new letter to overwrite the J would help, so I resaved the airport with a 'UA0K.bgl'. Now I'm stuck with 3 ICAO codes and 3 duplicate names for the same airport and I can't get rid of them.

Multiple codes for same airport.jpg

1. deleted all the extra bgl's... didn't help.

kaz folder cleared of erroneous files.jpg

2. Disabled the entire Kazakhstan folder in my scenery library... didn't help.

kaz removed from scen lib.jpg

3. Went into the airports.dat file, and found the original 'UA0E', but not the 'UA0J' or '0K'.... won't help me.

airports dat file.jpg

4. Went into the FS9/Facilities/AIndex & IIndex.IDX files to try to change the ICAO and names of the airports by hand. But IDX files are not to be edited in a text format, so all I did was corrupt the file.

idx files.jpg

5. Went back to my FS2004 discs and found the original AP966120.bgl file for the airport in question an reinstalled a fresh copy into my scenery/asia/scenery folder... made no difference.

default airport file.jpg

Even though I deleted all signs of the changes I made, the simulator's airport selection index insists on remembering these erroneous names i made, and I have no way of getting rid of them. I got as far as getting the default 'UA0E' to lay out across it's 8900' foot length (as the original non-helipad), but it now hovers about 30 feet above ground because of the altitude change I had made to move it to it's new location. Now back at the old location, it won't revert.

Strange, as I've never had anything like this happen before. Usually when I delete files I didn't mean to make, things go back to the way they were... not this time.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- John

Archived