Addon airports question.

HoratioWondersocks

Hello all

If adding third party airports to your sim, should you do anything to the equivalent default airports.

The reason I ask is this, I have recently upgraded my PC and for the first time in twelve years or so and I can now use add-on airport scenery with no loss in performance which is great...However I have noticed that with some of my new airports I am getting weird graphics anomalies on taxxing (hard to describe)the airport buildings look fine, but much flickering and jiggling about of taxiways etc etc.This doesn't happen with all add-on airports ,but is a little irritating where it does occur.

Anything to do with afcads or suchlike ? I have no idea myself.

Anyways cheers

Socks

If adding third party airports to your sim, should you do anything to the equivalent default airports?

Generally speaking, no.

Some addons replace default files, which is a bad idea. I avoid those like the plague.

Others disable default files, which is OK. Those should either have a good installer or clear directions if you have to move files manually.

"Afcads" have code in them that tell FS to not use elements of the default scenery.

The anomalies you describe sound like airports with custom ground polys over the airport.

Getting the elevations right can be tricky and when they are wrong you see some weird stuff.

The best course of action is to give us an example of a specific download. Sometimes there will be a published fix or someone else can look at it and see if there is a fix.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hi Socks

This is a known problem and I have it at a few add-on airports. I believe it is a terrain problem with the add-on and which can be solved by creating a flatten area using a design program such as ADE9X from Scruffyduck - and it's free. No doubt someone here will add specifics about this. Personally, I just live with it.

Dijvid

Hi Socks1

This is a known problem and I have it at a few add-on airports. I believe it is a terrain problem with the add-on and which can be solved by creating a flatten area using a design program such as ADE9X from Scruffyduck - and it's free. No doubt someone here will add specifics about this. Personally, I just live with it.

Dijvid

Thanks Dijvid

I tend to agree with you. As this seems to be a known issue with add-on airports ,I think I will adopt your solution ie live with it.. I am certainly not going to risk messing things up with amateurish tinkering. Still a shame though ,some of these add-ons are terrific ,I have one of lszh that is really excellent ,but slightly marred by the weird jiggling and flashing of the ground textures. Anways all mine a free so what the heck. Thanks to all for chipping in.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy

Well you could have a go, just for fun!! ADE9X is freeware and if you make a backup of the relevant AF2 file you can always go back if it doesn't work.

I am currently using ADE9X to add static aircraft to lots of airports which developers never included themselves. Really makes an airport come alive doing this!!

Dijvid

Hi Andy

Well you could have a go, just for fun!! ADE9X is freeware and if you make a backup of the relevant AF2 file you can always go back if it doesn't work.

I am currently using ADE9X to add static aircraft to lots of airports which developers never included themselves. Really makes an airport come alive doing this!!

Dijvid

OK I may give it a try.

But if it comes with a mighty manual that requires a quad core intellect to understand I may pass.

Cheers Andy

OK I may give it a try.

But if it comes with a mighty manual that requires a quad core intellect to understand I may pass.

Cheers Andy

Ah! A man after my own heart - RTFM as a last resort!!

It does come with an extensive and quite understandble manual but I usually just look up whatever section I need at the appropriate time. I find ADE9X also useful for such things as rectifying incorrect ILS frequencies and the like.

Dijvid

Archived