Add GPS to 2D or 3D Panel

silentsage418

Searched the website, couldn't find an answer to this.

Is there a way to add the default FSX GPS pop-up panel to either the 2D or 3D panel views in an aircraft that doesn't normally support it?

I have flight plans for flying some of the low-altitude and high-speed training courses used by the RAF and USAF for tactical aircraft (e.g., the "Mach Loop" in Wales). The courses are entered in the flight plan as lat/long coordinates derived from airspace charts. The waypoints aren't obvious by just looking at the terrain, and it's useful to have the GPS display (in direct-to mode) in the upper corner of the screen as a reference until I learn the course.

Some aircraft (e.g., the Aerosoft Bronco X) don't support the GPS, and I'd like to add it if that is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. When you say "add the default FSX GPS pop-up panel to either the 2D or 3D panel views" it implies that there is a correlation between the pop up and either the 2D or 3D cockpit. A pop up is independent of the cockpit type.

With that out of the way it's a simple matter to edit the Panel.cfg file to add a GPS pop up.

I suggest referring to one of the default aircraft's panel.cfg to see what's generally needed. Open the default C172 Panel.cfg by double clicking it. In the [Window Titles] section note this reference: Window02=GPS. And then scroll down to the [Window02] section and note the code. These are the two requirements to add a pop up window. In order to keep things simple you can just copy the code to any panel.cfg and just use the next available number for the windows. And here's something I think you'll find valuable I suggest you add the line "type=special" to the existing code in the new [WindowXX] section. This will allow the window to remain open until toggled. As there is an offset of "1" between the window number and the activation key e.g. [Window00] is activated by the Panel 1 control key; Shift+1 by default.

With the GPS window open it can be re-sized and moved like any window.

If you have problems cite the exact aircraft, file name and where it was downloaded from for additional assistance.

Jim F.

Almost ANY aircraft will "support" a GPS as a pop-up window. Just need to add it into the Panel.cfg of the plane you desire it to be in. I don't know how comfortable you are in editing Panel.cfg files, but it really is very simple.

Most important thing to remember, in my opinion, is to MAKE A BACK-UP OF ANY FILE YOU EDIT BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING!!

Just go to a plane that has a GPS you want to use, and open it's Panel file in Notepad or whichever text editor you prefer to use (I use Notepad, personally). Scroll down the file to the [Window Titles] section. Under this, find the entry for the GPS window, thus: Window05=GPS. Please remember, that ALL specifically numbered sections, windows, etc are for example ONLY. IE the 05 shown above may be different for you recipient panel's file. ANYWAY, copy the Window05=GPS entry to your recipient panel's [Window Titles] section, changing it's number to one higher than the last enty previously in there. Say the last number was window06=radio stack, for example. Change the incoming entry to window07=GPS. Again, these are just examples. Your numberage may vary :)

next, from the donor file, scroll down the file till you find the pop-up window for the GPS, thus:

[Window02]

size_mm=545,354

window_size=0.5,0.3625

position=8

BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0

VISIBLE=0

ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0

Again, copy the entire section to the recipient file, placing it after the last [WindowXX] section, before the first [Vcockpit01] section. Again, change the [WindowXX] numbering to the last section in your file +1.

NOW comes the hard part: In the [window00] section of the donor file SHOULD be a line labeled something like "gauge11=SimIcons!GPS Icon, 342,569,14,12". Again, copy and paste this line into the recipient files' [window00] section, after the last entry win it, changing the gaugeXX= portion to be the next number in sequence.

The two numbers following the word GPSIcon in the line above, 342,569, in this case. are the position of the icon within the panel that will open the pop-up window. They indicate the upper left corner of the icon, and are pixels from the upper left corner of the Panel's .bmp file. Personally, I use one of two methods: open the .bmp file and place my cursor where I want the upper left corner of the icon, then read the cursor's position off the picture editor used, and use those numbers. The second method is to find anothre icon with room to either side or above or below it for the GPS' icon, and place it near that, using it's coordinates as a starting point, and changing them to move the GPS icon's position enough to clear.

Save the recipient file, load the plane up and take a look to see how your work turned out :)

Good luck, and if I can be of any more help, please feel free to ask!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hey silent,

Your wish for a document with the info has been granted!

If you have either the Deluxe or Gold versions of FSX the SDK (Software Development Kit) is available on the installation discs. The SDK is comprised of a wealth of information regarding FSX, various files that expand the capabilities of FSX, and tools to create additional features.

The information is also available on line. This information is geared specifically to software developers but duplicates in most respects that contained on the FSX discs. Online this is referred to as the ESP. Here's the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526948.aspx

To get to the info regarding the Panel.cfg files, first click on "SimObject Creation Kit" in the left column. Then click " Panels and Gauges SDK" again in the left column. Finally click "Panel Configuration Files". Here you'll find the info.

Jim F.

Thanks guys, just what I needed. I've edited config file many times, just needed these kinds of details.

Wish there was a document somewhere that explained what the contents of the config files are in detail and how to change them - kind of like a software spec.

In addition to the SDK link above, there is also a FORUM here devoted specifically to Panels and Gauges...

Panel & Gauge Design: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?24-Panel-amp-Gauge-Design

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived