A moving ship - how difficult a project would it be?

old_wombat

This idea has nothing to do with the aircraft carrier.

I have an MDL of a particular ship, with suitable textures. I have built for it some suitable ports / harbours / docks in various places. At the moment I have a static copy of this ship in each port, which works, but I was wondering whether it might be possible to do better.

So... how difficult would it be to have only the one instance of this ship, and move its MDL from port to port? The ports are close enough for the ship to stay in each port overnight only, then leave early the next morning and get to another one that afternoon or evening. An endless loop would be fine.

Could one solution be to make it into an "AI Aircraft"? I have Traffic Tools and have had some success at using them. Bearing in mind that it's a ship, not an aircraft, what would be require to do it this way? Is the end result likely to be satisfactory?

Are there other ways to do this? What might they be?

Steve from Mudgee.

Steve from Murwilllumbah.

In other forums it have been said, that MDL ship could be converted to AI. Up to now I haven't seen such a conversion.

Anyway, keep in mind that you only will be able to have and see ship traffic within a 50 miles radius - as AI aircraft generally. And ships won't do stops and sail further on.

The Afcad should look like this:

14251737737_b533d888c7_b.jpg

The radius of the parking spot should be 600 ft at least, the identification Area as "Dock" (not "Gate"). A runway with a lenght of 500 ft is enough.

Bernard

Archived