Number of areas in SCENERY.CFG

I have tried Googling the maximum number of areas in SCENERY.CFG, when you exceed the maximum number you get a warning blurb that the maximum is "about 1000" and then you have to press abort.

So, the questions are: what are these "areas" really, what is the real number ("about 1000" isn't really an answer), and, more importantly, has anyone found a way to increase that number? If there are answers to these questions, they seem to evade Google....

Jorgen

I'm at 700 and have no issues. However, if you run into this sort of problem, which I am not aware of, then look to find some opportunities to amalgamate any freeware sceneries from the same region, or area into one scenery folder.

If keeping track of the sceneries is required to avoid conflicts later, then just create a simple txt file with notepad and list out the names of the airports or sceneries that you have amalgamated.

I have my scenery outside FSX, and use Dr. Andrew Thornton's Scenery Configuration Editor to set it up. The maximum number of "areas" I have been able to have in SCE is 2089, but apparently this number is influenced by what you might have in object libraries, AI traffic files and what you might have in \Addon scenery\Scenery and other places. Currently I am at 2046, and yes, this is after amalgamating a lot of sceneries into regional folders.

The really nice thing to have would be some kind of fix, tweak or whatever that could boost that number.....

Jorgen

I too use Configuration Editor for my scenery but I'm very curious how you number your scenery. I have set mine up first by country and then by states for the US but I keep trying different numbering systems for my airports and other scenery. Do you do it that way or have another?

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Within a system with countries and states like yours, I "number" by the airport's ICAO code. For airports and other sceneries that do not have such a code, for instance Willows Airport in Pennsylvania, USA, which the FAA calls 97PA, I number it "Kxxx 97PA", and the Pittsburgh Stadiums "Kxxx Pittsburgh Stadiums".

Hope this makes sense -

Jorgen

Archived