If my drive is cloned, will my FSX still work?/

lehbird

Hello:

I am having issues with my hard drive so I am having it replaced. They are going to "clone" my drive for a seamless transition. They are telling me I will not need to reinstall any of my software, it will all still operate as it does today. Will that hold true for FSX?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, that would hold true for all apps and games on your system, provided they do a true clone and not a copy/dump. I work in IT and have cloned many drives, your PC will not know the difference.
AMD FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz water cooled - 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz - 2 Geforce 480's 1.5GB each (non-sli) 2Seat SimPit - 8 Monitors - Saitek Gear -

Yes, that would hold true for all apps and games on your system, provided they do a true clone and not a copy/dump. I work in IT and have cloned many drives, your PC will not know the difference.

Great; thanks so much for the reply!!

I cloned my hard drive which contained fsx and other games. After the cloning, all games worked just fine and fsx itself worked fine. But I had to reinstall all Just Flight addons and many Orbx addons. Most other addons worked fine.

My FSX installation is on drive D. Will it work if I format my Win7 system which is on drive C? Both drives are on the same physical harddisk.

Hi Aero,

Unfortunatly in your case you wont be so lucky. Even though your FSX is installed on your D drive the installtion process still creates registry keys on the C drive. It also creatses application data for FSX in your windows user profile. Basically the "meat" of FSX is on your D drive, but it still has references in windows on the C drive.

AMD FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz water cooled - 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz - 2 Geforce 480's 1.5GB each (non-sli) 2Seat SimPit - 8 Monitors - Saitek Gear -

I have a similar question...

My FSX installation is on drive D. Will it work if I format my Win7 system which is on drive C? Both drives are on the same physical harddisk.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

No because some FSX stuff gets installed directly into Windows.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

My old hard drive was partitioned with everything on drive C except FSX scenery which was on drive E.

I simply cloned the old hard drive onto a SSD and the partitions were intact along with everything else at the end of 2013. FSX ran first time absolutely fine as expected.

Strangely, recently one of my boot files got corrupted and my system started operating from my old hard drive and operating system still in place in my PC. It took me a few minutes to work out why I seemed to have lost everything on my HD since the end of last year, but I soon twigged and had it booting from the SSD again.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

if you want to reinstall windows, without loosing fsx. Simply put the win 7 disk when you get the option, do an upgrade it will do a clean install and retain all your existin programmes. Once you see it is all working you can delete the old remnants which is kept in a sepearte file. Did this not long ago, but you will have to re register win7. minor headache.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

Do not forget about the Registry Repair Tool from http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

It's free & works like a charm once the program has been copied/cloned.

This tool will repair your FSX or FS9 registry so that the path is valid. Many times certain applications use this path. If it is invalid, some programs may not work.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Do not forget about the Registry Repair Tool from http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

It's free & works like a charm once the program has been copied/cloned.

This tool will repair your FSX or FS9 registry so that the path is valid. Many times certain applications use this path. If it is invalid, some programs may not work.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived