Upgrading My CPU and Hard Drive For FSX

Currently Running FSX with the Hardware Listed Below @ Mid High Settings

Mother Board- Intel DG43GT

CPU-Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHZ 3MB Cache (FSX Usage along with Windows) Ranges 75% to 100% Temperature always Below 60C

Memory-8GB DDR2 (PC2-6400) 2X-2GB Hyundai Electronics MDL HMP125U6EFR8Z-S6

2X-2GB PNY Electronics (PC2-6400)

Video Card - XFX-Pine Group AMD ATI Radeon HD 6750 1GB PCI Express with 6PIN Power Adapter

Hard Drive- Standard WD- 7200RPM 1TB Partition in 2 500GB (FSX currently running on the Second Partition) Had no choice FS9 is running on its own 1TB don't want to mix the two Sims But i recently Purchased a 500GB Velociraptor Drive just for FSX see details Below.

Will FSX Perform better with the two Upgrades Listed Below?

CPU-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 12MB Cache 3 GHz CPU Quad-Core LGA775 SLB8W

Hard Drive- DELL 500GB 10K RPM SATA 3.5 INCH LFF WD VELOCIRAPTOR AF HARD DRIVE HDD K25J9

Intel i7 2600 16GB RAM 4GB Nvidia GTX970....... Sim Platform FS2004-FSX

First off, there is no problem having FS9 and FSX on the same drive, they do not "mix".

As for the CPU upgrade, a waste of money, IMO. Put it in a savings account for a new computer.

As for the HDD, a 10k HDD might load the sim a bit faster than a 7.2k HDD, I doubt you will see much of a difference.

Again, I would save the money for a new computer or spend it on an SSD.

That being said I doubt your motherboard supports SATA3 so you will not see full advantage of the SSD until you get a new computer.

Bottom line, fly that PC until you see smoke coming out of the case and save for a new PC.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

First off, there is no problem having FS9 and FSX on the same drive, they do not "mix".

Yes i know they don't actually mix lol I ment i prefer not to put them in the same drive :-)

Again, I would save the money for a new computer or spend it on an SSD.

That being said I doubt your motherboard supports SATA3 so you will not see full advantage of the SSD until you get a new computer.

Copy on the Solid State which is why i considered the Velociraptor :-)

As for the CPU upgrade, a waste of money, IMO. Put it in a savings account for a new computer.

So intel quad wouldn't show much more of a performance? Better off to save for an I7 PC I can get the Quad for $125

This is not much of a drawback for me considering im still saving up for a new PC even if i have to put it together myself :-)

I just figured Updating the CPU will increase Performance on FPS considering ill be running FSX on 3 Cores while windows on the first core

FSX runs awesome with Default scenery and Most ORBX Airports but some airports i can see a bit of FPS drop (still flyable but thought a Quad would help out a bit) Doing some research i read somewhere the Q9650 can be overclocked to 4ghz (I don't plan to Overclock it ) I don't think my video card would be to much of a bottleneck as its doing pretty good 47% usage while running FSX @ mid high settings.)

Intel i7 2600 16GB RAM 4GB Nvidia GTX970....... Sim Platform FS2004-FSX

The extra cores will only help load textures a bit faster.

FSX is CPU hungry and speed is the food.

You are going from 2.93 to 3.0 GHz. I doubt you would notice the difference.

If it was my $150 it would stay in my pocket.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived