Setting up muliti monitors FSX

geordiehustler

Hi

Was hoping someone could help. First of all I'm not very technically minded when it comes to computers, graphics cards and jargin.

I've been into FSX for a few years now but have just recently started expanding my hobby with SAITEK hardware i.e. Yoke, Throttle, pro flight stuff etc.

I want to run 3 monitors i.e. left view window, centre view and right view windows, and hopefully a fourth for an outside view. I currently have 1 x 19 " monitor set up to VGA. However my graphics card also has a DVI output.

I need some advice on where I stand at moment and what I need to do to move forward , if its possible at all. I've managed to find out some info on my system but its all jargin to me unfortunately. Hope this info is necessary.

System

INTEL DP35DP_

2.00 GB RAM

32 Bit Op. system

4 x processor cores

64 bit capable yes

Hard disk size - 382 GB

Graphics

ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

Total graphics memory - 1014 MB

Dedicated - 256 MB

Shared - 758 MB

DADV - 8.881.0.0

Direct X10

Can anyone give me any advice to someone who flies well but is a moron when it comes to technical stuff

Thanks

Corsair Obsidian 550D Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT pro OC'd to 4.6GHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD3XS Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 750W Corsair RM PSUMicrosoft Windows 7 64 bit

Hi Geordie,

So a few things to keep in mind with multiple monitors, one is the more monitors you add the more work your GPU and CPU have to do, which will cause decreased performance. So you may need to turn down some settings to compensate.

Now to answer your question, theres a few ways to do this. For someone like your self who may not be that computer savvy, I'd recommend getting a MATROX dual or tripleheadtogo. I use these in my simpit and they work great, although a bit pricey. With these you plug your 3 monitors (or 2) monitors into the matrox, and 1 cable back to your video card. And that's it, now windows (and FSX) will think your multiple screens are one wide screen. Heres a link to the matrox units -http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/digital/

The other option would require using ATI Eyefinity (for ATI cards as in yoru case) or Nvidia Surround (for Nvidia users). These are features of the videocard itself, I just did a quick check on your card and unfortunately your card does not support eyefinity - http://products.amd.com/en-gb/GraphicCardDetail.aspx?id=113&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=&f13=&f14=&f15=&f16=&f17=&f18=&f19=&f20=&f21=&

So for 3 monitors, you would need to either upgrade your videocard to one that supports ATI Eyefinity or purchase a matrox unit.

For now you could use that extra DVI port to add a second monitor and setup a custom view on it. Have a look at this video I posted, it covers how my monitors are setup and how to setup custom views. This should give you a better understanding on multiple monitors and views in general -

Hope this helps,

AMD FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz water cooled - 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz - 2 Geforce 480's 1.5GB each (non-sli) 2Seat SimPit - 8 Monitors - Saitek Gear -

TripleHead2Go requires a video card with 2 dual link dvi connections, so it won't work on your system. To achieve your desired result will require a newer, more powerful system. Given the endless combinations of components available and the costs, it is difficult to point to a specific system. Spending some time in the PC Hardware, Video and Audio Help forum will give you some insight into what is required to achieve your goal and what the budget will have to be.

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

Hi Geordie,

So a few things to keep in mind with multiple monitors, one is the more monitors you add the more work your GPU and CPU have to do, which will cause decreased performance. So you may need to turn down some settings to compensate.

Now to answer your question, theres a few ways to do this. For someone like your self who may not be that computer savvy, I'd recommend getting a MATROX dual or tripleheadtogo. I use these in my simpit and they work great, although a bit pricey. With these you plug your 3 monitors (or 2) monitors into the matrox, and 1 cable back to your video card. And that's it, now windows (and FSX) will think your multiple screens are one wide screen. Heres a link to the matrox units -http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/digital/

The other option would require using ATI Eyefinity (for ATI cards as in yoru case) or Nvidia Surround (for Nvidia users). These are features of the videocard itself, I just did a quick check on your card and unfortunately your card does not support eyefinity - http://products.amd.com/en-gb/GraphicCardDetail.aspx?id=113&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=&f13=&f14=&f15=&f16=&f17=&f18=&f19=&f20=&f21=&

So for 3 monitors, you would need to either upgrade your videocard to one that supports ATI Eyefinity or purchase a matrox unit.

For now you could use that extra DVI port to add a second monitor and setup a custom view on it. Have a look at this video I posted, it covers how my monitors are setup and how to setup custom views. This should give you a better understanding on multiple monitors and views in general -

Hope this helps,

Thanks for your reply Pyroman and for taking out time to reply.

Since your reply i've taken time out to research the options you mentioned to me. Eyefinity etc and ive found abrussell (other reply) was correct in saying that my system is too basic for running 3 or more monitors with either triplehead2go or the video cards you mentioned. I asked a guy in a computer store who was into gaming and he gave me a lot of info on what system I need and the cheapest way of doing it. I haven't got that info with me at moment but I will post it tomorrow and I would appreciate a reply to see if you agree with what he has suggested.

Thanks again GH

Corsair Obsidian 550D Asus Z97 Pro Gamer, SLI, CrossfireX Intel Core I7 4790K Quad Core with HT pro OC'd to 4.6GHz 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 2 x 4GB EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 2TB HDD3XS Corsair Hydro H100 cooler with dual SP120 750W Corsair RM PSUMicrosoft Windows 7 64 bit

TripleHead2Go requires a video card with 2 dual link dvi connections, so it won't work on your system. To achieve your desired result will require a newer, more powerful system. Given the endless combinations of components available and the costs, it is difficult to point to a specific system. Spending some time in the PC Hardware, Video and Audio Help forum will give you some insight into what is required to achieve your goal and what the budget will have to be.

Bruce

Thanks for reply Abrussell.

Since researching I have found you are correct in saying that my system is not new or powerful enough. I will post tomorrow on what system has been suggested to me and would like you to reply to confirm whether you agree with the suggestion

Archived