Start position in FSX.

Surely a newbe question but anyway...

I fly helicopters ( R22 and R44 ) in FSX.

How do I manage to get a real starting point in FSX ( helicopter on a parkinglot, engine shut off and so on.. )?

As it is now I always face an already started machine with everything running at the starting point of my choise.

Everything is running perfectly so there is no problem with FSX itself but I'll rather do as I'm used to in

"real life" ( get to my chopper, have a daily check and then start it up step by step ).

Question is, is it possible. And if it is, how do I managed to start at this position ?

I have installed :

FSX Gold Edition with accelerator

Flight1 Ultimate Terrain X Europe

Just Flight. Flying Club Robinson R44

Hardware :

More than enough in the computer

Tripple screens

Pro Flight Evolution Trainer Black Lynx

/ Southeast Pilot

To clarify, are you saying that when you choose your airport that you're not seeing the additional "choose runway/starting position" dropdown menu option?

For having your helicopter off when you start. Start FSX like you usually would, pick an airport and parking spot, once running your free-flight turn everything off to get the helicopter to a state of complete darkness. Now right-click on the screen to uncheck the hide menu bar option so that the menu bar is now visible. Now select "Flights" from the menu bar, then "save as", then name your flight and make sure to check-mark the "Save as default flight". Now every time you start a flight your helicopter will be off.

Home Airport - Southport Airport, Southport, Manitoba, Canada| FSX/Acceleration | MSI GT70 Laptop | Windows 8.1 -64bit | Intel ® Core i7-3630 QM | CPU@ 2.4GHZ (cores can dynamically overclock to up to 3.2 GHz (920XM)) | Ram 12GB | NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 670M discrete graphics card (with GDDR5 3GB VRAM)

Hi SouthEast,

Your default flight is what stores the aircraft state (ie engine on or off, etc). Set up a free flight at that airport and parking spot you want as stated in the other reply. Then if your engines are on shut them down, and turn off all other systems (avionics, lights, etc). Then save this flight (file>save) and check the make default flight checkbox. This flight will now load with the aircraft off or in whatever state the flight was saved in.

Hope this helps..

AMD FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz water cooled - 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz - 2 Geforce 480's 1.5GB each (non-sli) 2Seat SimPit - 8 Monitors - Saitek Gear -

What has been set it correct. But what if you don't ONLY fly that helicopter and nothing else? Then it would be best to 'set up' or 'reset' things by making the C-172 your default start up flight, and just save a flight to be your 'cold and dark' helicopter flight, which you can choose after the default C-172 flight loads.

Over the years simmers have found out that making a 'add-on' mil jet by 'xyz sim' the 'default' (load up) flight, with loads of xml gauges, etc is not a good idea. FSX remembers a lot of things from the 'last flight'. So it's been (discussed to death) that it is best to have the C-172 be the default flight for these reasons. But, it's your choice.

The work around would be to fly your helicopter, then load the C-172 to 'reset' things before you go load the Cub or 747. It's not being paranoid. That is how Sim (FS9 too) works. Just so you know.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Another idea...use the same saved flight over and over. I currently have Barron that I'm flying from KMQY to KBTM only on Vatsim. At the end of the first flight I parked, shut everything off and saved the flight as "vatsim". A few days later, fire up the sim, select vatsim and there the barron sits cold and dark, same weather, same amount of fuel, same date, same parking place as I left it. I hit all the switches, start the bird up, fly to the next airport, park, turn all the switches off, shut the engines down, save "vatsim" again. Next flight...well you get my point. I'm thinking this is what the OP wants to do with the helicopter. No messing with the default flight, no switching planes, just simply selecting the saved flight you want and simply saving the same flight every time you fly. I have flights named cargo 747, 172, PHNL, and countless other scenarios I can think of and then I can go back to the same plane, cold or not each and every time. So yes Southeast pilot, park your helo on a helo parking spot and shut her down and save the flight. Go back and fire her up and fly, land, shut her down then save the flight using the same name again and again. This way you can fly the bird just like in real life, from right where you left her....cold and dark. If needed you can reset the date if you want the current date and time will be updated and saved as well. Works in FS9 too.

Archived