Traffic directed to runway closed for takeoff.....

Honus

I notice that though I have certain runways open or closed for take offs and landings, ATC seems to disregard this and misdirect traffic. For instance, at KIAD, runway 30 is open ONLY for takeoffs, yet landings of AI are being directed there. Rwy 12 is open ONLY for landings and misdirected there. Verified the runway configuration in AFCAD and there are correct but ATC doesn't care. Is there a workaround here? Landings at on rwy 30 are not feasible if there is traffic landing on the '01's' 1L, 1C, 1R. Did I forget to do something?

I'm using ASN as my weather program, which is great, BTW. Thanks,

FSX runway use and assignment depends on a scoring system that is inherently built into its code. In general, it is not possible to get FSX to completely follow complex real world runway ops; however, if the airport is not too complex it may be possible to fool FSX into following real world runway ops.

In the case of KIAD there are choices to be made. Assuming you have used Jim Viles x-wind runway technique, you would want to link the 19s and 30 for the calm wind runway configuration. This is real world and it will eliminate the issue you raised regarding AI landing on 30 and the 1s.

You are correct that 30 is normally not used for landing; however, due to FSX limitations, closing 30 for landing while keeping 12 open for landing will not be completely honored by FSX. You can reduce the "runway score" by implementing a few tricks in the airport file, but it will not completely close 30. The only way to completely close 30 for arrivals would be to also close 12 for the same. FSX will honor symmetry.

I'm not sure what you mean by Rwy 12 is open only for landing but misdirected there. In the case of 12, FSX ATC will never direct AI to takeoff from 12 due to the location of the threshold relative to the location of AI parking at the airport. By design Rwy 12 will work and there's really no need for you to close it for take off.

...runway 30 is open ONLY for takeoffs...Rwy 12 is open ONLY for landings

FS will not honor that setup.

In FS a runway is a runway, not 2 separate entities, and you can open/close both ends only.

The SDK allows you to set up a runway like you are trying to do, and so do the tools that we use such as ADE, yet the sim will ignore a setup like yours.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Yes I know it ignores that and that was my question. Ok, I understand Kagazi's post except for:

"In the case of KIAD there are choices to be made. Assuming you have used Jim Viles x-wind runway technique, you would want to link the 19s and 30 for the calm wind runway configuration. This is real world and it will eliminate the issue you raised regarding AI landing on 30 and the 1s."

I know how to do the crosswind runway set up, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'linking' the 19's and 30. How do I do that?

In FS a runway is a runway, not 2 separate entities, and you can open/close both ends only.

If you look at the stock EGLL (just one example), one end is completely closed while the opposite end is completely open. So it's possible to do this as well.

I know how to do the crosswind runway set up, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'linking' the 19's and 30. How do I do that?

The calm wind runways for the stock FSX KIAD are 1R/1L. This is not real world but typical for FSX as it tends to favor the lower number runways for the active calm wind operation. Changing this requires some advanced techniques and in the case of KIAD I found by doing so created significant compromises to the operations of the runways.

I would suggest that you simply x-wind the 1s and 12 together using Jim's technique. This will fool FSX into thinking that these runways are parallel and will have them active together. This will also eliminate 30 and the 1s being used simultaneously.

If you look at the stock EGLL (just one example), one end is completely closed while the opposite end is completely open. So it's possible to do this as well.

Microsoft has some custom code for a few airports that we do not have access to.

The fact that they were able to do that does not mean that we are able to do that.

I would love to be proven wrong about this.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I would love to be proven wrong about this

No custom code on this one. Just look at what they did. It won't work for every airport obviously. But you can completely close one end of a x-wind as long as the opposite end remains open. Give it a try.

There are many airports in FS9/FSX/P3D where one end of a runway is completely closed while the other end is completely open.

Rule

The lower runway number is always the primary EXCEPT when there is a No Runway Start Location at the low runway number end AND there is a Runway Start Location at the high runway number end.

Using ADE we can make the runway oneway when the Start Location is deleted from the higher number such as the Secondary end and the runway property record is set to

secondaryTakeoff="FALSE"

secondaryLanding="FALSE"

Here are a few default airports that have the low runway numbers completely open and the high runway numbers completely closed in FS9 and/or FSX and/or P3D:

ICAO, NUMS

3AK, 07/25

3MO, 18/36

8U4, 14/32

EDDF, 18/36

EDGT, 11/29

EDRS, 04/22

I97D, 1/19

I98D, 9/27

KCHQ, 18/36

LFLJ, 05/23

LSZY, 07/25

LYVR, 16/34

MYZ3, 07/25

S90, 14/32

SUME, 16/34

SVMP, 08/26

U60, 01/19

UNBB, 06L/24R

As per the EXCEPTION in the rule, if the higher number is the runway that has a Start Location and is open then it must be the Primary (1st runway listed). The airports listed below are just 2 examples that you can look at in FSX.

EDRS, 21/03

EGLL, 23/05

To keep the Secondary runway score as low as possible make sure no approaches exist for the closed runway end.

Archived