Need help in choosing a new computer system for MS Flight Sim X (and add ons)

nyrxman

I'm looking to get back to flight simulation after being away from it for too many years. I will be buying a new computer. In order to keep down the cost, I was wondering what you consider to be the most important features on a system to get the most out of MS Flight Sim X. In the "old days" Flight Sim was very demanding on my system. Today might be a different issue entirely with the prices of computers pretty reasonable.

For example, How much RAM, What and how powerful a Video Card, hard drive capacity, processor speed, etc. ?

What I would like to see is a ranking of the most important features and their size. (for example 12 RAM, 2MG Sound

Card and make, etc.)

I will probably be purchasing an HP desktop system. The most I would like to spend is around $1,000.

Thanks,

I suggest spending a couple of hours perusing the hardware forum,there is a lot of good threads on just this subject. One thing about FSX, it is extremely CPU dependent. High powered video cards,a ton of ram etc. really doesn't help as much as a high clock speed. go for a chip that clocks at around 4Ghz. and then you can actually see the difference in the program.

aircav1970 is right; the Hardware Forum is a better venue to answer your questions.

That being said, one suggestion I might offer is not to purchase a 'name brand' box; they are sometimes built with internal parts that are proprietary, and cannot be upgraded or modified.

You'll be much better off if you pursue building your Desktop from scratch. You will have many more options to choose from in terms of Video Cards, hard drives, Motherboards, etc.

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Archived