FS2004 Panel Guru's

grau

Hi all.

I need your help. I'm attempting to add Bob Kellogg's excellent HUD display to my simulator. I've had success adding this gauge, and scaling the width & length. Where I'm failing is the ability to relocate it to the position I desire. I am able to move it up and down. But for the life of me, I cannot get this gauge to move laterally to the left.

I am using a Matrox Triplehead2Go for my front (3) windows. The center is my primary, meaning it has FS9's menu etc.

I have added many other HUD gauges, readily available here, and have had zero problems scaling them and positioning them as I see fit.

But this guy will not budge to the left where I need it to go. It's already set to (0) which normally would instruct the gauge to position at the farthest left position. But it is not. It is somewhere about 40% right of the edge. I've attempted to contact the author without success.

I have added (2) images to help in illustrating the issue.

Image 1

Image 2

In the panel.cfg your line...

window_pos=0.33, 0.02

...sets the position of the gauge on the screen. These x/y values are fractions of 1.0, so 0.33 means about one-third of the way across from the left side. The 0.02 would mean a very short distance from the top of the screen. (Remember that the top left corner of the screen is 0,0)

This sort of thing is much easier if you use a program like FS Panel Studio.

Good luck!

Graeme

In the panel.cfg your line...

window_pos=0.33, 0.02

...sets the position of the gauge on the screen. These x/y values are fractions of 1.0, so 0.33 means about one-third of the way across from the left side. The 0.02 would mean a very short distance from the top of the screen. (Remember that the top left corner of the screen is 0,0)

This sort of thing is much easier if you use a program like FS Panel Studio.

Good luck!

Graeme thank you. I have FS Panel Studio but it has negative effects on this gauge. You comment about "These x/y values are fractions of 1.0, so 0.33 means about one-third of the way across from the left side." has me interested. I will play with these. What do I have to lose. I've tried playing with every other number.

Graeme thank you. I have FS Panel Studio but it has negative effects on this gauge. You comment about "These x/y values are fractions of 1.0, so 0.33 means about one-third of the way across from the left side." has me interested. I will play with these. What do I have to lose. I've tried playing with every other number.

Hi there,

If you want to display the HUD window in the bottom left corner of the screen, then you would want the x value to be very low, and the y value to be higher. A rough guess, from your image, would be:

window_pos = 0.10 , 0.50

This would put the top left corner of the gauge window close to the left edge (1/10th of the total screen width), and half way down from the top (.50 = 1/2 the screen height)

I hope this makes sense. I am not sure how FS Panel Studio could have any affect on this gauge - I have used it for many years with no problems.

Graeme

On image 2 shouldn't Visible=0 be =1

Forgive my ignorance I don't often play with panel files, just trying to help.

Col.

Col.,

Thanks for you help. No, 0 and 1, ony determine if the "Window" should be visible upon loading.

Michael

Hi there,

If you want to display the HUD window in the bottom left corner of the screen, then you would want the x value to be very low, and the y value to be higher. A rough guess, from your image, would be:

window_pos = 0.10 , 0.50

This would put the top left corner of the gauge window close to the left edge (1/10th of the total screen width), and half way down from the top (.50 = 1/2 the screen height)

I hope this makes sense. I am not sure how FS Panel Studio could have any affect on this gauge - I have used it for many years with no problems.

Graeme,

I tried your suggestions with zero luck. Altering the Window_pos= has no effect whatsoever on moving the gauge.

In fact, regarding the entry: gauge00=gaHud29!hud2B9, 0,50,600,466 leaves very little manipulation as well. Looking at this entry, I can only adjust the height & width (600,466) entry. Changing the (0, 50) has no effect whatsoever.

Is it possible Bob Kellogg locked these settings within the XML? I've tried contacting him with no success. And unfortunately, I'm not all that good with XML coding. Nonetheless, I am adding two more files to the previous files for you and others to look at.

The first file Bob"s Instructions are Bob's instructions for placing the gauge into your panel. I have followed it to the letter to include adding the popup switch. Popup switch does work and does turn on/off the gauge etc.

The second file XML is the XML file that comes with the panel. Perhaps you, or others knowledgeable in XML coding can see if he locked the lateral & vertical manipulation of this gauge within its coding.

This has me at my wits end. I written thousands and thousands of line of code in our simulator. For the Love of God this one has me baffled.

In case it helps, here is the link to the original file: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=212128

Hi again,

I am puzzled by your experience, so I downloaded the HUD gauge and installed it in the default Cessna 172. I tried three different optons, as per the attached images and the panel.cfg excerpts below:

Image1 - default centre position as per Bob Kellogg's installation instructions

//--------------------------------------------------------

[Window06]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=202,168

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=304

window_size= 0.316, 0.350

window_pos= 0.330, 0.020

gauge00=gaHud29!hud2A9, 0,0,200,166

Image2 - moved the HUD over to the left

[Window06]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=202,168

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=304

window_pos= 0.050, 0.020

Image2 - moved left and downward

[Window06]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=202,168

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

ident=304

window_pos= 0.050, 0.390

As you can see the HUD is easily moved to different positions on my system. Sorry I have no idea why it is not working for you.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Graeme

Graeme,

I understand your "I am puzzled by your experience". I truly do. In fact, I kind of feel like an idiot regarding the time I've spent trying to get this to work on a 20+ year platform. But I'm telling you I've have literally tried everything.

So after reading your latest post today, with your very nicely done examples, I tried again. Reason being is because I realized, and appreciated, the time you dedicated to that response. Trying it on your system. And then responding with examples of your success. That meant a lot to me. And yes, it took a good amount of time from whatever you were doing. Thank you.

So I deleted everything related to the Gahud29. I then re-downloaded it and installed verbatim (again) as Bob Kellogg suggested. I then edited the Panel.Cfg to reflect the last two examples you posted in your latest comment. Still. NOT A DAMN THING CHANGED! Then....... for whatever reason, I decided to move the hud Window entry in my panel file from [Window09] to [Window06] like you have. And, like Bob Kellogg had in his Readme file. Wonders wonders. Now I could move the gauge laterally. Finally. You truly cannot make this stuff up. But it happened as God is my witness. I was finally able to move the damn gauge around like you illustrated. WOW. Almost makes me wonder if I have a virus or something. Whatever............

So now that I have the ability to move the gauge, I am encountering yet another issue. I have successfully moved the gauge very closely into the position I need it to be. But I cannot get it exactly. If I move the gauge a few mm to the right, where I need it to be, then the furthest right part of the gauge does not display. Its cut off. So I opened the panel file in FSpanel Studio and saw where the gauge part that was cut off in FS9 was extending past the "black" area of [Window06] the hud. So I moved it back into the black area. Saved. Reloaded in FS9. Gauge was fully visible again but left of where I needed it. So went another hour of chnaging the size of the gauge, the black area, etc. etc. without success. :mad::mad::mad::mad: So here is an image of my latest headache. Still want to help me?

I really don't think I can offer any more help here. It works fine on my system, but something is obviously not working on yours. I have no experience with multi-monitor setups, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Graeme