What is FSX "Steam" all about? Thinking of switching from the disks?

JonBuck

Seriously thinking of switch from FSX (disks) to the Steam Version. Some swear by it while others swear and hate it, so I’m not sure it would be a wise move. If anyone can help me with some questions I would be eternally grateful ‘cause, I’ve heard a few things but I know absolutely nothing about ‘Steam’.

1. Is it an online version of FSX (something like Office 365) or does it come on disks in a box?
  2. Does it work with Windows 10?
  3. I’ve heard that installation is quite complicated with lots of separate steps unlike the disks. Is that so?
  4. Is there an activation process?
  5. Can you install it on multiple computers?
  6. Does it match FSX? i.e. operation, speed, details, scenery density etc.
  7. What about add-ons like aircraft, scenery, buildings etc?
  8. Can you still get the FSX version today?
  9. What does…you have to have a “Steam Account” mean?
  10. Where can you find it and how do you buy it… through a store, online like eBay?

Edited by Nels_Anderson
Merging two threads

Seriously thinking of switch from FSX (disks) to the Steam Version. Some swear by it while others swear and hate it, so I’m not sure it would be a wise move. Is it even a Microsoft product?

If anyone can help me with some questions I would be eternally grateful ‘cause, I’ve only heard a few things but I know absolutely nothing about ‘Steam’.

1. Is it an online version of FSX (something like Office 365) or does it come on disks in a box?
  2. Does it work with Windows 10?
  3. I’ve heard that installation is quite complicated with lots of separate steps, unlike disks. Is that so?
  4. Is there an activation process?
  5. Can you install it on multiple computers?
  6. Does it match FSX? i.e. operation, speed, details, scenery density etc.
  7. What about add-ons like aircraft, scenery, buildings etc?
  8. What does…you have to have a “Steam Account” mean?
  9. Can you still get the FSX version today?
  10. Where can you find it and how do you buy it… through a store, online vendor, eBay? :confused:

JonB

Steam is an online games store, you can buy FSX from the Steam store as a download only, but it does have all the necessary tweaks included already so no user tweaking is needed.

You need to launch the Steam App to run FSX Steam, this is to verify that your copy is legal and working properly.

If anything goes wrong with FSX Steam, you can use the Steam App to check your game files and repair them automatically.

The Steam version of FSX is installed within the Steam App directory, but most add-ons have now got an FSX Steam option built-in to their installers.

All existing add-ons will work with the Steam version if you direct them manually to the FSX Steam directory.

You can check the system requirements etc., and buy and download it here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I will try to answer your questions in order:

1. FSX:SE (as the Steam version is usually called) is a downloadable version of FSX Acceleration, with a couple of fixes thrown in. It does not require an online connection to run, and does not have a disk version.

2. Yes, it works fine with Windows 10.

3. Not true. The installation is straightforward - it is the path to which it installs by default that take some users by surprise.

4. No.

5. Yes.

6. For all practical purposes, it IS FSX Acceleration.

7. By far the most add-ons for FSX, scenery, aircraft etc., will work on FSX:SE. I have not heard of any that do not work.

8. You MIGHT, if you are lucky, and on a good day, be able to find a copy of the disk FSX. If you are even luckier, you MIGHT find a virgin (never used) copy, but that is extremely unlikely. Stay away from such (unless a virgin copy), you might easily have activation problems.

9. A Steam account is an account you establish with the Steam Portal, enabling you to access the Steam library of games. Establishing such an account is free.

10. When you have a Steam account, search their game library. You pay using a debit or credit card, and then download it.

If you have any questions, then just ask away - but ask HERE, please.

Jorgen

Hello

1)It is not online. You download the sim from Steam and run it without any disks.

2)Yes. No problems on my end at least.

3)Steam installs it in it's own steam folder. Nothing to it at all.

4)No

5)Yes. I have it on 2 computers.

6)Yes. It is the same as box FSX. I have the box version and a steam version on one pc.

7)The same as box fsx. Only thing diffrent is the path to steam fsx versus the box ediion.

8)Sign up on steam using the usual name and password then you can buy fsx and addons using that account.

9)Unsure. On my end, I'm happy knowing if my pc blows up into 100 pieces then all I have to do is download steam fsx again and I'm good to go.

10)You buy it through steam. Browse games, add to cart then buy and download it.

Gentlemen:

I can't thank you enough for your extraordinary and detailed responses. You cleared up nearly every concern I had about FSX Stream.

Also I must beg your forgivnes for this delayed response. Seems my longtime membership had a glich and locked me out for several days, but Nels cleared it up for me \

Long story short...I went ahead & obtained FSX SE from Steam and downloaded it successfuly. It works fine: looks the same just as you said, but it sure is a different creature from the disk set! Aside from the setup process there must be many other differences to discover.

So, if I may impose upon you; I have some new questions.

1. Steam buried it under C: Steam > steamapps > common> FSX.

My question to you is..can it be safely relocated (moved) to C: FSXSE where my old old FSX and current FS9 are located? Or does the steam version have to remain buried?

2. Backups: How do you backup the FSX SE folder. Defintely leared my lesso about backing up "just in case".

3. Reinstalling: If you have to reinstall FSX SE, I understand you can download a virgin copy from Steam. But once it is 'reinstalled', can you then copy over it with your backup and have all your add-ons and changes back in play? Or do you have to add them again, one-at-a-time?

4. Add-ons: Is the procedure for adding aircraft to the SE version about the same as for the disk version; or is there some complex process?

i.e. I mean are the add-on aircraft files installed elsewhere, or under SimObjedts>airplanes? (like you do with add-ons in FSX [disk].

5. Can I remove some of the default aircraft which I wil never use? (I use FSX with an add-on GPS app from Mindstar Avn primarily to practice IFR approaches. I have to keep my IFR skills current for my job and it helps to practice the procedures siting a home. (uses less fuel,too) I still have FS9 for fun sim-flying!

6. Any other FSX SE pitfalls I will need to know?

I would be most grateful for any help and/or advice you can think of. That's the kind of 'stuff' that makes this forum and this 'hobby/pastime/passion' so interesting. Otherwise I suspect many simmers would have given it up long ago and sought a more exciting pastime....bowling, perhaps?

Thanks again!

JonB :)

1. Steam buried it under C: Steam > steamapps > common> FSX.

My question to you is..can it be safely relocated (moved) to C: FSXSE where my old old FSX and current FS9 are located? Or does the steam version have to remain buried?

Yes, leave it where it is.

2. Backups: How do you backup the FSX SE folder. Defintely leared my lesso about backing up "just in case".

Just as you did with the disk version, although it's not necessary because the Steam app can repair FSXSE without having to reinstall anything (except ground, sky and cloud textures):

1. Launch the Steam App

2. Select "View Games Library" from the "Games" menu

3. Right-click the Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition icon and select "Properties"

4. Select the "Local Files" tab and click on "Verify Integrity of Games Cache"

3. Reinstalling: If you have to reinstall FSX SE, I understand you can download a virgin copy from Steam. But once it is 'reinstalled', can you then copy over it with your backup and have all your add-ons and changes back in play? Or do you have to add them again, one-at-a-time?

See the previous answer.

4. Add-ons: Is the procedure for adding aircraft to the SE version about the same as for the disk version; or is there some complex process?

i.e. I mean are the add-on aircraft files installed elsewhere, or under SimObjedts>airplanes? (like you do with add-ons in FSX [disk].

Add-ons are all installed in the same locations as the disk version.

5. Can I remove some of the default aircraft which I wil never use? (I use FSX with an add-on GPS app from Mindstar Avn primarily to practice IFR approaches. I have to keep my IFR skills current for my job and it helps to practice the procedures siting a home. (uses less fuel,too) I still have FS9 for fun sim-flying!

Yes you can remove default aircraft, but doing so will render most of the missions unplayable without them.

6. Any other FSX SE pitfalls I will need to know?

None that spring to mind, but if you have any questions we're all here to help!

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thanks so much Tim. I think I have a pretty good handle on this Steam version now thanks to your help. :)

One last thought just crossed my mind: can I (or how can I) have two SEs installed on my computer?

One I would use just for the IFR practice....no addons. The other with addon acft, scenery etc....a sort of "play" version. Of course I wouldn't run both at the same time. Is such a thing possible?

JonB :confused:

One last thought just crossed my mind: can I (or how can I) have two SEs installed on my computer?

As far as I know you can't have two FSXSE installations on the same PC, however you can install the disk version AND the steam version on the same PC but that can confuse some add-on install programs.