Correct installation process

All I can find out is that if you want to have the installation download process (from the MS site) install on a different drive to the C: drive ( I want to use my D: drive) I firstly need to change the drive where apps are installed from C: to D: -

(for Windows 10) press the Windows and I keys then select SYSTEM > STORAGE > CHANGE WHERE NEW CONTENT IS SAVED then select NEW APPS WILL SAVE TO and select D:.

Firstly is that correct to ensure the download will install to my D: drive?

Secondly are there any other things I need to do as I intend to purchase and start the download just before I go to bed?

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Hi JP, the installation process is quite easy. If you want to install it to your second drive you don’t have to do anything in Windows. I don’t know which version of MSFS you are planning on buying but you should always download the standard version.

Assuming you’ve bought & paid for the sim, whether you’ve bought the standard, deluxe or premium deluxe...

download the “standard version” then download the “digital ownership”

next.. launch the sim & it will ask where you would like the main stuff installing.. here you can browse to your second drive (D drive)

you then have to wait the 2 or 3 hours (or however long it takes) to download and install the main part.

Once it’s eventually done and the main menu appears, to into the “content manager” & select everything. Again, you maybe waiting again while it downloads the rest of it.

If you’ve bought the deluxe or premium versions then all the extra content is installed automatically.

Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

That's what I did, change Windows to install Apps onto D: (Will create a few folders there.)

Then when you install MSFS, watch for the prompt of where it installs, be sure to specify D: also.

After installing MSFS, you will probably want to change where the cache saves to in the settings.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Thanks everyone,

I intend to purchase the Standard version.

As I intend to purchase and start the download just before going to bed when I am usually tired and not thinking well I wanted to ensure there was nothing I had to think about.

Thanks for the heads up on placement of cache.

My D: drive (partition) is empty with a capacity of 427 - yes changing the drive for apps certainly added some folders and files totalling 428 MB.

Should I change (windows) where to install apps back to C: once all set up?

John

Just to advise that I have purchased and installed MSFS2020 but have no idea how long it took as I went to bed.

Things I did NOTE though

After starting the download/install I was then prompted where to install it SO anyone purchasing for the first time should note that they cannot simply start the process and walk away thinking that when they return it will be all done and ready to go. MS must download some 'config' files or similar before the main download.

The download process displays the download 'rate' during download and I was getting mostly around 44 Mbps which is what my ISP advises as a 'typical download speed during the night. I only noticed this for a short time during the initial (short) download and the start of the main download (then went to bed)

Now comes the learning process to know which joystick buttons do what and also keyboard keys. I will have to do some reading as running the first 'tutorial' just advises things like 'press joystick button 11' (which one is button 11 I wondered).

John

Under the controls (going off of memory), least on mine, it showed a picture of the joystick and had the keys labelled 1-30 so at least I knew where key 11 actually was.
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

That's what I did, change Windows to install Apps onto D: (Will create a few folders there.)

Then when you install MSFS, watch for the prompt of where it installs, be sure to specify D: also.

After installing MSFS, you will probably want to change where the cache saves to in the settings.

How do you tell it where to cache saves too.

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

in the Data section of General...

Local Cache.png

Rolling Cache. You can specify size here too. There is also a Manual Cache.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Which folder should I select for the rolling cache path when I don't want to use the C: Drive as my D: drive (where FS2020 is installed) does not contain USERS\myname\APPDATA\?

There are currently no folders in 'myname' folder.

Should I manually create an APPDATA subfolder and if so what other subfolders eg LOCAL?

BTW I did find information about the keys on my Logitech joystick and have now swapped the function of keys 1 and 5 as I prefer the BRAKE on the 'fire button' BUT is the Joystick configuration 'system wide' or must if be changed for every aircraft?

Edited by jparnold
add last paragraph

John

Which folder should I select for the rolling cache path when I don't want to use the C: Drive as my D: drive (where FS2020 is installed) does not contain USERS\myname\APPDATA\?

There are currently no folders in 'myname' folder.

Should I manually create an APPDATA subfolder and if so what other subfolders eg LOCAL?

You can create a folder with any name you like on any drive you like. I have the rolling cache going to G:/MSFS/Cache, for example.