Who has given up on fs2020?

I wonder how many people have given up on Microsoft's latest flight simulator. Like a lot of people, I per-ordered the "Premium Deluxe" version and even built a new system for it. After weeks and weeks of dealing with control issues (not being able to have 2 USB throttle quadrants) and not getting any help from Microsoft about this issue. I should also say that Logitech have proven to be useless in not being able to supply a replacement for the original quadrant that came with the yoke (the one that hooks directly to the yoke via a mini DIN connector).

I have asked about trying to set up 2 USB quadrants on a few different forums and no one seems to have figured it out.

I went back to a single quadrant, set it up in the Control section, and promptly crashed and burned on take off due to uncontrollable full right rudder. Went in adjusted all the sensitivities etc.No joy. Disconnected the rudder pedals and used Auto-Rudder. Finally got the plane into the air but the whole thing was twitchy as hell.

Ive checked the yoke in Control Panel and it responds normally. I even tried a new joystick I borrowed from a friend. Same deal.

I have just sent Microsoft a refund request. Going to go back to FSX and see how X-Plane 12 pans out.

Gotta say I am really disappointed. I've been flying FSX since 2006 and never had the issues that this latest dud gives.

I would be really interested to see what flight controllers were able to be used without having to do any reprogramming.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] RYZEN 5 3600X/MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE M/B with 64Gb ddr4 3600 RAM. Gigabyte RTX2070 Super GPU.

Liquid cooling and WD 1TB Blue SN550, M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen3 & WD 2TB Blue 3D NAND, 2.5" SATA III SSD

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People were jumping way too early. Crazy, crazy stuff!

Just did my first flight in FS9 in 3 months, been busy, what a blast it was! Total enjoyment beginning to end.

My advice is to look at what makes you happy and be happy. Let others struggle along for years to come while you just have a great time flying planes in your flight sim.

Edit: Oh, and not a single issue at all during my FS session! None. Zip. Just total enjoyment.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Just did my first flight in FS9 in 3 months, been busy, what a blast it was! Total enjoyment beginning to end.

My advice is to look at what makes you happy and be happy. Let others struggle along for years to come while you just have a great time flying planes in your flight sim.

My short flight last night in the new Flight Simulator (Carlisle to West Freugh) was pretty much the same as yours'; total enjoyment from beginning to end. It was absolutely stunning flying over my home!

Aren't we lucky to have so many simulators to choose from :-)

Dominic

I cant use my Throttletek it goes from 0 to 50 % power as soon as I advance it also the flaps go from 0 to full as soon as I touch the flaps lever.It all worked perfectly in FSX !! ITS obvious Assobo never worked with FSX when developing this but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

I cant use my Throttletek it goes from 0 to 50 % power as soon as I advance it also the flaps go from 0 to full as soon as I touch the flaps lever.It all worked perfectly in FSX !! ITS obvious Assobo never worked with FSX when developing this but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

That same issue happened to me the first time i started the sim.

Went to Options Controls, filter All, deleted all the assignments for slider Z, added the 2 throttle increase and decrease and it was ready to fly. It took probably 45 seconds.

For you is taking since aug 18th 20 days, sad

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Hi, sorry to hear of your problems. I used to use two Saitek throttle units with the Alpha and they both worked fine. I sold one one of the units (I upgraded the yoke to a honeycomb) but I am still using one of the Saitek throttles & it works perfectly. I don’t know what was causing you’re problem. Maybe someone else here could help.

Presumably you tried different usb posts? I know some devices work better with usb 2 rather than usb 3 - which were you using?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

My short flight last night in the new Flight Simulator (Carlisle to West Freugh) was pretty much the same as yours'; total enjoyment from beginning to end. It was absolutely stunning flying over my home!

Aren't we lucky to have so many simulators to choose from :-)

Dominic

Haha, yes, if you are happy, by all means use MSFS. Whatever sim you are with, if you are not happy, accept it and go back to what makes you happy.

Everyone should also be free to express what makes them happy and not happy to any audience. Not a stab at you either Dominic, you are fair, some others could do with a little work though...lol

Mark Daniels

Everyone should also be free to express what makes them happy and not happy to any audience. Not a stab at you either Dominic, you are fair, some others could do with a little work though...lol

Thanks Mark...I try my best :-)

Thank god for cycling!!!

Cheers

Dom

The sim hasn't even been out for a month. I am running FS2020 on a laptop bought in 2016 and it runs just fine. The graphics are way better than what I got in Prepar3d. True, I get bad frame rates at high quality airports like JFK but just go East to ISP on long island and it is beautiful and flyable. With the right tweak, it looks very realistic.

Don't throw in the towel yet. A year or two from now it will improve dramatically with many addons.

Still, if you don't like it, go back to the sim you used before.

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

Edit: Oh, and not a single issue at all during my FS session! None. Zip. Just total enjoyment.

In a way...you know

Im kind of pleased the sim is "an impossible task" to some.

(Im being sarcastic here, its gonna be a "pull your leg" so you see how I can counter people who are negative towards the new sim)

It gives the level of difficulty real aviation has to leave out the less-focused, the less-attention to detail, the non-willing-to-learn, the lazy ones looking for everything ready-configured, ready-to-fly, ready-to-land.

I always felt the xbox thing would attract millions of arcaders not caring about realism and that could influence developer's compromise with complexity.

Because what made Flightsim famous ever since FS1 was that "it was not an easy" game, you needed to learn some aviation basics (speed, altitude, heading, vertical speed, etc) to go places, and as complexity grew (pmdg, etc) so did the flightsim hobby and fans.

So by MSFS being itchy in installing, configuring, handling directories for tweaking, and later on (i expect) complexity and realism of the planes itself, just makes me happy.

I know these difficulties will separate the non-capables and will attract more people to the sim eager to beat the challenge of make it work like a charm and enjoy its flexibility, potential and a leap forward.

Say what you want. It doesnt matter if you are a computer engineer or a real world pilot.

This is a Sim, not real life, with its complexity and learning curve of its own.

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Well...I just purchased it this last week after the patch was applied.

Scenery: Stunning

Sky Color: Stunning

Rain Snow Dusk Effects: Stunning

Menu Functions: Too many layers

Sound Quality: Not that good

Flight Dynamics: Pretty good

Camera Views: A bit complex

Load times: A bit lengthy

Things Missing:

Contrails

Touch down smoke

No Fly by view

No Tower view

Keyboard bindings needs work

ATC language is kind of goofy sounding

Location of the sim on your drive is very (buried) and obscure. Why?

Lastly...they compiled the sound for each aircraft into an unreadable Binary that is locked inside a PCK

file. Now we have no way to create new sounds for add-on aircraft unless some genius figures a new way to do this. Why make it so difficult for developers?

I like the sim itself...and I'm sure it will get better as things are added and fixed; was it ready for release? No!

Cheers,

Aaron

Skysong Soundworks

Aaron

So by MSFS being itchy in installing, configuring, handling directories for tweaking, and later on (i expect) complexity and realism of the planes itself, just makes me happy.

I know these difficulties will separate the non-capables and will attract more people to the sim eager to beat the challenge of make it work like a charm and enjoy its flexibility, potential and a leap forward.

The appeal of MSFS for many was the lack of fuss that they thought this sim would provide over past sims. I think you might find you are kinda alone. When people buy a flight simulator, they want to learn to use a flight simulator. They didn't buy a flight simulator to learn to become a software developer or expert computer user and spend their time understanding how to squash bugs.

You might be right though, it will filter out the masses if it stays like this. You'll likely end up with it all to yourself! lol

Mark Daniels

it has always been like that

Understanding the folder structure in FS ever since fs2000 is key

addon scenery, where does it go? there is a Texture folder, does that goes in the main Texture or in the addon texture? Oh i see, if in the main Textute it will affect all the sim textures and not just the addon...

Panels, how to edit panel.cfg, add a gauge, how to edit a gauge, change colors, lightning

Sounds, found a more realistic sound, how to add it

All past flightsims required a decent to huge knowledge of Windows (the opearting system) text editing, folder structure of the sim.

In real aviation you have fields that are not present in simming: plane mechanics, airport regulations, official ATC phraseology, filling flight plans, consulting real weather, electric wiring, pitot and hydraulics systems, draining water from your piper Cub fuel tank, checking and refueling with OIL your GA airplane, etc etc etc.

In the Sim we dont have a series of knowledge fields, but we do have computer and software decent knowledge. Absolute requirement if you want to grow in its full potential.

I usually say that Windows and FS structure (your PC where it all happens and comes to life) are the fourth MFD in our virtual cockpit. If you dont master it, you ll have problems flying

And believe me, the world is full of capable simmers enough to make the sim a success and make others think "I want it" or wish it

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

I have been using Microsoft Flight Simulator since early 1990's (Flight Simulator 4.0 I believe) I can honestly say this is not by far the "buggiest". That being said I'm thinking of hanging in there until the Xbox version comes out, provided it ever happens, I have my doubts. Then we will see I am 68 so we will see. I have been flying over 40 years, but thiis will be my last "aircraft" type...digital LOL
Computer, lots of electrical thingys

I usually say that Windows and FS structure (your PC where it all happens and comes to life) are the fourth MFD in our virtual cockpit. If you dont master it, you ll have problems flying

Fine with me, I already have all that required knowledge. I think you should have a little read through the forums, the types of issues people have, where their understanding regarding Windows is and their age range.

MSFS may be much better suited to Xbox. MS may be fishing right now to see how much of a PC market there is and if the numbers aren't enough, you may find the direction for MSFS will be firmly directed toward Xbox users. That's what I'm watching atm.

Mark Daniels

Take the home-made cockpits for example. A similar but more complex simming

Do you think its just buying one and start flying?

Have you any idea the amount of hours they spend in forums setting and configuring their systems?

Electrical wiring, fuses, AC power units, extensions, setting up multiple monitors, secondary panels, views, it takes months to study and set, and constant monitoring and adjusting.

In home-made cockpit fans you ll find no lamers crying that their system doesnt work and they want a refund. They get into that hobby knowing there is a long learning curve

Kapitan

Fine with me, I already have all that required knowledge. I think you should have a little read through the forums, the types of issues people have, where their understanding regarding Windows is and their age range.

MSFS may be much better suited to Xbox. MS may be fishing right now to see how much of a PC market there is and if the numbers aren't enough, you may find the direction for MSFS will be firmly directed toward Xbox users. That's what I'm watching atm.

I agree, there will be a closed sim ready-to-use for xbox, and an open sim constantly growing and being tweaked for PC, and the PC fans will remain steady, growing less than Xbox of course, but the ones that atract a more serious dedication to the flightsim hobby

Kapitan

I felt much the same in the beginning. I had bought the dvd version but the last part of the program still had to be downloaded from the Microsoft server. Which during the first week proved impossible. It would start downloading files, get to roundabout 75% downloaded of a file and then suddenly the download would stop. File gone, and it would start downloading the same file right from the beginning again. Over and over and over again. Days and nights of absolute battle, stress and disappointment. For me it was simply impossible to install the game during the first week. Then someone at Microsoft must have slowly woken up and realize that there was a problem. Which, in all fairness, did get rectified. Ten days later I finally succeeded in installing the game. The end of my problems? Not at all. Although the game was finally installed, I needed to get my new Thrustmaster Hotas X working. During the first days just about every take off and landing ended in a crash. Touch the joystick and the airplane would flip on its back and crash immediately. Even the 747 behaved like a Spitfire. I very nearly gave the whole thing up once more. But then I started experimenting with different sensitivity settings of the joystick and it made all the difference. The default sensitivity settings were far too high and the null zone settings far too small. Now, (how many weeks later?) planes are finally beginning to behave the way they did in FSX. I have all the settings maxed out on 'realistic' and now my landings of the A320 have improved and becoming really enjoyable. I'm actually beginning to have fun. The graphics are mind-blowing, the IFR navigation works like a charm and the sheer beauty of the whole thing far surpasses that of FSX. So my advice would be: hang in there, don't give up. I very nearly gave up a couple of times as well but now I'm finally very glad that I didn't.

Yes, absolutely right 2cvNation

What keeps us simmers for more than 20 years in the sim is its complexity and increasing potential.

All Xbox users grow tired of their games and move on to another.

Millions will use Xbox MSFS for the first year or two.

The PC users will carry on using it beyond that

Kapitan

That same issue happened to me the first time i started the sim.

Went to Options Controls, filter All, deleted all the assignments for slider Z, added the 2 throttle increase and decrease and it was ready to fly. It took probably 45 seconds.

For you is taking since aug 18th 20 days, sad

Do you mean deleted all the axis Z 's ???????

"When people buy a flight simulator, they want to learn to use a flight simulator. They didn't buy a flight simulator to learn to become a software developer or expert computer user and spend their time understanding how to squash bugs."

Entirely agree, and I might add, not everyone wants to qualify to be a 747 pilot--just a hint of flying one. But this goes back to a comment i had made earlier about how did this got out of testing without someone noticing that Xbox had to be installed just to get the program to work. It's only due to users here and elsewhere that I learned that had to be done.

I have had no real issues with FSMS 2020 except FPS but my system is old

I hear that having AMD stuff can cause issues in all flight simulator releases and even in xplane, that is why i stick with intel compatible stuff

Core i7 10700K OC to 4.6 all cores/EVGA 750W G+ PSU/ MSI Z490 edge mobo/GSkill RAM DDR4 32GB(2X16GB) 3600mhz/ ASUS TUF RTX 3080/ Win10 home/ Asus 32 inch monitor 1440p/ CH Flightstick

I wonder how many people have given up on Microsoft's latest flight simulator. Like a lot of people, I per-ordered the "Premium Deluxe" version and even built a new system for it. After weeks and weeks of dealing with control issues (not being able to have 2 USB throttle quadrants) and not getting any help from Microsoft about this issue. I should also say that Logitech have proven to be useless in not being able to supply a replacement for the original quadrant that came with the yoke (the one that hooks directly to the yoke via a mini DIN connector).

I have asked about trying to set up 2 USB quadrants on a few different forums and no one seems to have figured it out.

I went back to a single quadrant, set it up in the Control section, and promptly crashed and burned on take off due to uncontrollable full right rudder. Went in adjusted all the sensitivities etc.No joy. Disconnected the rudder pedals and used Auto-Rudder. Finally got the plane into the air but the whole thing was twitchy as hell.

Ive checked the yoke in Control Panel and it responds normally. I even tried a new joystick I borrowed from a friend. Same deal.

I have just sent Microsoft a refund request. Going to go back to FSX and see how X-Plane 12 pans out.

Gotta say I am really disappointed. I've been flying FSX since 2006 and never had the issues that this latest dud gives.

I would be really interested to see what flight controllers were able to be used without having to do any reprogramming.

Hi I am no expert but whenever i get a problem i try plugging in things 1 at a time and if that works add something else this way you can find out what is causing the issue ,also make sure you have the latest version of the OS and that all updates are up to date, i am an absolute novice and through encouragement in the forum i wont give up lol

Regards

Andrew

Do you mean deleted all the axis Z 's ???????

Yes, to avoid conflicts I delete any Axis X reference either in the mouse and in keyboard. (I will only use my joystick for power so that frees keyboard keys for other personal settings).

In my Joystick profile i just select "Throttle Axis" to my jostick slider X and thats the only input

DO NOT select "Throttle increase" and "Throttle Decrease" that is wrong!

just search for "Throttle Axis" and choose only that one, delete any other

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan