After new update menu bar

You can actually setup a control to make it appear / disappear.

In VR for example, the little white triangle isn’t there, so I setup the spacebar to toggle the toolbar. I didn’t know about tab.. mind you.. the spacebar is easier to find when you’ve wearing a headset :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

After new update menu bar on top stays on. Used to go after a few seconds. Any way to remove?

Thanks (Thinking of you Tim!)

On PC it used to disappear when you mouse clicked anywhere else on the screen, or pressed the Up arrow on the keyboard. Maybe this will also be repaired in the Hotfix due today at 1500z - 4pm UK.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Anyone else get two exclamation marks on the toolbar now? Clicking the relevant icons gets rid of them, but they come back every time I start a flighttoolbar (Medium).jpg

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

I've seen this on the Xbox version, but not on the PC version (yet). It's a new feature as shown in the Release Notes under the Flight Assistant/New Assistances section, telling you that there are AI options available or not selected yet under those headings.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I don’t have an Xbox (I might have an eggbox somewhere LOL)

Clicking on the icon lets you select the nearest POIs.. towns.. or airports... then the AI will take you there.. it also then displays those annoying blue arrows, pointing in the direction of the POI you have chosen. This appeared when I installed the new update.

The exclamation mark goes once I’ve clicked on this, but it reappears on the next flight.

Then you’ve got the one over “basic controls” I’ve no idea what you’re supposed to do here. My controls are all working fine and there’s not a lot to click on when you click this icon.

Again, the exclamation mark appears on next flight.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Nice video Steve, well done! The basic controls notification does seem unclear, maybe the Assistance is confused by multi-function controllers? I did see on the flight assistant list that Stall Speed was highlighted in red - maybe it'll change when your forward speed is above the stall speed? Given that helicopters aren't officially supported yet, you might have to put up with it for now unless they repair it in the hotfix today.

Nice video Steve, well done! The basic controls notification does seem unclear, maybe the Assistance is confused by multi-function controllers? I did see on the flight assistant list that Stall Speed was highlighted in red - maybe it'll change when your forward speed is above the stall speed? Given that helicopters aren't officially supported yet, you might have to put up with it for now unless they repair it in the hotfix today.

Thanks Tim :)

I just happened to be in the Bell 35 when I decided to make the quick video to show you. The things come up with every aircraft, not sure why. It’s only a slight annoyance though and there are more important things than worry about.

Regards

Steve

The exclamation marks on the bar and on the map indicate something new has been added....so I'm told.

You would think they wouldn’t show up the next time though, wouldn’t you? Instead they appear on every flight.

Regards

Steve

You can actually setup a control to make it appear / disappear.

In VR for example, the little white triangle isn’t there, so I setup the spacebar to toggle the toolbar. I didn’t know about tab.. mind you.. the spacebar is easier to find when you’ve wearing a headset :)

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve. I've assigned an input in the keyboard to toggle the toolbar and it works insofar as the menu will appear/disappear but the line with the triangle stays. I've seen it's a bug after the update which the fix has not fixed! In view of all the big problems I see that so many have, I'm not complaining. My pc is 10 years old and I'm flying with most settings medium and some low, and I find it so good. The new update has boosted my frame rate over london with the 320 fbw from about 8 to just over 20!

No problem. Glad it worked. I’m amazed you’ve got it working and enjoying it on such an old computer! The new update has certainly improved performance. I flew over London last night & also New York (in VR) and there was a noticeable difference in performance. I did get a couple of blackouts each time though, when it paused for a second & the displays went black.. but VR is demanding and I have most settings on ultra. I can live with a couple of pauses like that. Nothing like that happened when flying over less populated areas

Regards

Steve

Is there a way to make the blue circles disappear from the cockpit? I agree that the menu triangle is annoying, but I can live with it, got the sim working which is the important part.

Wish I had remembered that my flight plans are saved to the HD, lol. Oh well :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

By blue circles do you mean the ones with arrows, pointing to things? You can remove them getting rid of all the flying tips etc. Go into Assistance Options.. click on navigation aids & make sure route/wave points etc are off. Click Notification and make sure their all off... then POI & make sure they’re all off.

Also, under General Settings you’ve got Menu Tooltips & Instrument Name Tooltips.. possibly even instrument description Tooltips? (mine is shaded out) I’d make sure all these are off.

If you mean annoying blue glow over the switches in the cockpit?. Go into general settings & click the accessibility tab... then change “cockpit interaction system” from Lock to Legacy.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

It was the blue glow, thanks for the assistance :D
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

No worries :)

I wish they hadn’t changed it like that though, just because of the Xbox users. It could have at least prompted us and asked which type of interaction we prefer. Can’t say I’m keen on calling our standard method “legacy”. It would have been better to call the options PC & Xbox - rather than lock & legacy

Regards

Steve

If it's any consolation it's exactly the same on Xbox - I'm using keyboard and mouse as well as the controller, for the joystick mainly.

I keep forgetting you’re an Xbox user now :)

So even with an Xbox you still prefer to use a mouse the old way? Lol

I don’t know why they had to change it.

Regards

Steve

LOL! Yeah I'm one of those LGB people - Let's Get Both!

I have the PC and Xbox versions, just can't get enough MSFS. The keyboard and mouse are essentials, I got myself a 19.99 Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo with batteries included!

I've decided to pre-order the Turtle Beach yoke since I have no problem with the trigger-operated rudder on the Xbox controller, and when you look closely, the Turtle Beach yoke is actually an Xbox controller shaped like a yoke - very cleverly done indeed and it's now ideal for both PC and Xbox.

Oh - the menu bar (I just remembered the subject of this thread!) does fade away on Xbox by the way, but pressing L for Lights doesn't work and neither does / for Spoilers or Enter for Continue on the UI screens.

Xbox hasn't had a Hotfix yet but maybe it's due for one next week - I hope it doesn't turn out to be the son of the PC version... I'm really enjoying doing a discovery flight on PC, then repeating it on Xbox - I'll leave it to you all to guess why.

Edited by tiger1962

LOL! Yeah I'm one of those LGB people - Let's Get Both!

I have the PC and Xbox versions, just can't get enough MSFS. The keyboard and mouse are essentials, I got myself a 19.99 Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo with batteries included!

I've decided to pre-order the Turtle Beach yoke since I have no problem with the trigger-operated rudder on the Xbox controller, and when you look closely, the Turtle Beach yoke is actually an Xbox controller shaped like a yoke - very cleverly done indeed and it's now ideal for both PC and Xbox.

Oh - the menu bar (I just remembered the subject of this thread!) does fade away on Xbox by the way, but pressing L for Lights doesn't work and neither does / for Spoilers or Enter for Continue on the UI screens.

Xbox hasn't had a Hotfix yet but maybe it's due for one next week - I hope it doesn't turn out to be the son of the PC version... I'm really enjoying doing a discovery flight on PC, then repeating it on Xbox - I'll leave it to you all to guess why.

Tim, it may not be the right place for what I'm asking and forgive me if that's the case. I'll probably get an xbox for msfs, when the series x becomes available! Probably many like me so this is not just for me. Any chance you might give us a bit of a comparison between pc and xbox? I do'nt mean the performance, although that too if you think there's comments to be made, but just the general setup. Example, do you have all the options as in general options? Or does the xbox just give you ultra? I'm sure you get the gist of my request. Thanks,

Roy

Hi Roy,

The Xbox Series X and S User Interface is identical to the PC version, all the menus and options are exactly the same EXCEPT for graphics where you only get the option to enable HDR10 if your TV/monitor supports it.

Graphics:

My monitor doesn't support HDR10 so that option is greyed out, it's an Acer K272HL 27" 60Hz at 1920x1080 and I assume that the Xbox has detected that and adjusted itself automatically because it's not displayed or listed anywhere and neither is the FPS. The sim runs without stutters or pauses anywhere I've been so far, all the graphics seem to be on full Ultra and there's no scenery popping.

Controller:

I began by using the Xbox Controller only, just to get used to the thing (I've tried them in the past and didn't like them) one weird feature of it is that there's no sound jack on the Xbox itself - you plug your earphones or headphones into the controller and to my surprise it works just as well.

I printed out this screenshot for reference and found it very useful:

Controller Layout.png

The rudder is controlled by the left and right "triggers". I suppose they're called triggers for want of a better word, they are finger operated so it makes sense but they're NOT on/off switches.

They have a range of movement and can be adjusted in the Sensitivity options just like any other axis.

I found them surprisingly easy to use, especially when taxiing, I can put my fingers straight on them instead of peeping under the desk to get my feet onto my pedals!

Elevator and Aileron axes are on the left joystick, which can also be clicked down to toggle the cursor in the menu's and in the cockpit. Using this takes me back to my youth and Radio Controlled cars, boats, yachts, gliders and powered planes, but I do prefer a yoke and will buy the Turtle Beach yoke when it's launched.

There's four-axis hat-switch type thing which toggles parking brakes and gear, and raises or lowers the flaps one position at a time.

The Throttle(s) are increased by pressing button A, and decreased with button B.

External and cockpit views are toggled with the Menu button.

Keyboard and Mouse:

I bought a Logitech MK270 wireless keyboard and mouse combo, it's the cheapest available but since the Xbox is right next to the keyboard and right in front of the mouse, I didn't need anything with huge range or anything. It was supplied with batteries - I know, I'm glad I was sat down when I opened the box - and a small USB wireless receiver which I plugged into the front of the Xbox and pressed the button just above the USB port to detect the new wireless controllers. Both were recognised instantly, but only the keyboard works with the Xbox desktop and menus.

The mouse does work in MSFS and you have to change the settings for it just as you do on PC.

Add-ons/Mods:

There are more 3rd party add-ons available for the Xbox at launch than there were for the PC launch, all the suppliers are listed in the Marketplace but only a few have got products available for Xbox. There's still a wide selection of airports, scenery, mesh, airport textures and quite a few aircraft too.

I already own 3 airports and 2 aircraft on PC and none of them are available yet on Xbox, but it's only been a week since launch so there's plenty of time.

I currently have over 100 freeware mods on PC, mostly scenery, and I'm waiting with interest to see what develops regarding freeware on Xbox.

There is a well-hidden folder structure which I've only been able to access when saving downloaded files using Microsoft Edge browser - the folders include Downloads, Documents, Music, and one in particular named App Mods. I was unable to extract a mod file from flightsim.to into that folder because the filename was the incorrect format - I think it's just a matter of time before that issue is resolved by somebody, somewhere.

I hope this answers your questions, and if it raises any others, you're welcome to ask.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim! I am soooo grateful. That's very very kind of you to take the time to explain all this. I hope others will also benefit. Very interesting and instructive. One of the things I most wanted to know about was the graphic settings and to read that it's all set at ultra, for me that's the clincher to get the xbox. Except of course you can't! I read that the S , which is available, does not have the sharpness of the X, hence I'm going to wait a bit. I too have an xbox controller which was suggested in a tutorial on youtube by Squirrel, (From your part of the world I think) which i use for looking around; flying with Logitech 3d pro joystick.

Regarding the viewing, do you think if i view with a 58" 4K tv it will be as sharp as with a monitor?

Thanks again,

Roy