CS C-130 Windows 10 compatible?

JSMR

Hi.

tldr: buy the Just Flight disc from ebay: same addon, works fine.

This plane and the impossibility of installing it into FS9 on Win 10 was the only reason I invested in P3d.

I don't think there's any compatibility issue with the aircraft itself but the CS server doesn't answer the installer & despite weeks of trying different avenues, workarounds & online suggestions, I couldn't get the installer to complete. Or even really to start. I think the server changed some years ago.

I then remembered that Just Flight once marketed the same addon on CD or DVD, and that I still had it.

Sadly, the JF disc doesn't include the J variant, which was my favourite. That seems to have been a Cap'n Sim bonus pack, which also doesn't install.. The only other niggle is that in my murky memory the CS had a functional IAS hold (by pitch control I think) and in the JF it's non functional. I may only be imagining it.

Copying the aircraft from the Win XP backup didn't work -- I came up against the invisible aircraft parts registry-copy-protection thing. I only wanted the RAF grey paint so didn't try copying repaints from the backup but as the two are essentially the same addon, I should think they'd work ok with the JF offering.

If you want the non-J variants, try searching ebay for 'just flight c-130'. Looking at ebay uk, there are several for sale there right now.

And, if you find a way of installing the J variant, please let me know. I'll be forever in your debt.

Incidentally, I've recently deleted my entire £600+ P3d installation, install files and addons because this works fine in FS9 on Windows 10 Pro. The money was spent on trying to make it into something I wanted to play with but the stock P3d C-130 is largely non-functional: even the engine-start buttons didn't work. Instant immersion killer. I'm much happier for doing it and also regained a squillion gig of disc space.

These screenies are all from FS9 on Win 10 Pro.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by defaid

Hi.

Oh ok. Sounds complicated.

It's not complicated: my previous post was ambiguous. There's no problem with installing the plane using JF's disc: buy the disc, put it in your DVD drive, double click. No registration required.

What about from Simmarket?

Possibly. I see in the product details that "This product requires activation, see notes" and the notes say "The computer you install this product on MUST be connected to the Internet: no refunds given."

I don't have any experience of SimMarket so don't know if the installer will retrieve a key from SimMarket or if it will try Captain Sim's server. If it's the former, it should be ok. If it's the latter, the installation won't work.

A quick search of SimMarket did turn up the base pack and four expansion packs. If you do buy, let us know if the installation goes ok. I'd really like to have the J variant (and a working IAS hold...)

CAPTAIN SIM - LEGENDARY C-130 PRO

CAPTAIN SIM - KC-130 EXPANSION MODEL

CAPTAIN SIM - AC-130E SPECTRE EXPANSION MODEL

CAPTAIN SIM - LEGENDARY C-130 EXTRA PACK

CAPTAIN SIM - C-130J EXPANSION MODEL

D

Well, I guess I mean complicated by having to search online for a disk, hoping it’s in good condition, then look and see if any are in the same country. Hope it gets delivered. And regardless of what’s said on the eBay page, having the possibility of a scratched disk, or missing disk etc etc etc.

Maybe I’ll get lucky,

If you've had poor service from ebay sellers in the past, I can understand your reluctance to use them.

The five SimMarket packages I listed above are all downloads and might be a better option.

D

Well, I guess everything has risk. Its only 9.99 Euros at Simmarket. I guess its worth trying for that price. If it doesnt work, I'll sell the link online for 125 euros.