The Benefits of Paying Attention

So about 2 weeks back or so my lil lappy started getting clunky and the stuttering most have experienced became the norm for me right up until the dreaded CTD. Crap, I figured after many months of wonderful flying and watching and reading about others trials, crashes and tribulations I figured well my number came up as after I would flight plan and click Fly the bar would load load load then just as it was done loading bam CTD, facepalms. Now what? OK my lappy is 2+yrs old, I knew my machine was gonna be pushing the limits i7 1060x nowhere enough ram yadda yadda yadda. First thought, virus ugh... Instead of coming in here crying and lambasting Asobo or Microsoft because they are easy targets and asking what do I do heeeeelp I took a step back and went over some of the threads here in my head as I like to stay up to date on things and remembered a post on one of the CTD threads from Plainsman I believe making a simple comment about Flight Simulator needs to have the current windows updates and that can cause CTD's so I went hmmmmm I wonder as I dont remember my puter doing its normal updating like it was. Thats what really sent me down the virus rabbit hole to no avail so I checked windows updates. There were 8 of them pending download so what did i do? You guessed it pressed the download button and...........nothing it wouldnt download..FFS now what? ok deeper down the virus rabbit hole all the way to nothing so i put it away for a week and did other things. Decided to look at it on Sunday and after poking around the net I found something saying windows wont update unless you have 14g of space. so it told me how to check on disk space, holy eff balls 3G free basically maxed out with nowhere enough room to update windows and the gears started clicking. So after several minutes of clearing space i finagled 17G free and was like well alright lets go. Went to check windows update and Bill Gates already had the boys downloading and installing so all that was left after they updated was to fire up Flight Sim and see what happens...Well whadda ya know program loaded normally right into the flight page and beyond and Ole Mike is back amongst the clouds and moving metal around...Anyways thanks to all the computer experts on here and heres the morale of the story...Check you s*** before you go crying about Asobo and Microsoft, they aint perfect nor is this sim but if you pay attention you just might learn something.

Very good work to diagnose the possible problem and get the updates working. Now that Windows has updated and maybe the FS too, you might want to check your free space again. Anything under about 20 Gb is not enough and you are likely to see more problems soon. If you can find stuff to delete, go for it. This includes old updates in your Download folder, old games you never want to play again, and other such things. Hope you can enjoy more time with the flight simulator!

Pat

The post by the OP is an important one, which simmers who are having chronic problems loading or running MSFS need to read. Some folks are annoyed to be told that others are not experiencing the same problem and that therefore the issue cannot be intrinsic to MSFS. It must be local, and the solution is to be found in their computer hardware or settings. Understandable that message this is often not well received, but it is reality.

Some folks are annoyed to be told that others are not experiencing the same problem and that therefore the issue cannot be intrinsic to MSFS. It must be local, and the solution is to be found in their computer hardware or settings. Understandable that message this is often not well received, but it is reality.

Completely wrong.

If software works for some it is no "reality" the problem must then be the user.

You can base this assumption on software that is working well for the majority.

When software is causing problems for the masses, it tells you the software is unstable.

Mark Daniels

It has happened to me often that applications were running fine and the next week it started crashing. Most of the times it was a conflict with other apps and after removing them everthing worked fine again.

Asobo has made some mistakes but it's running without problems for months.

I'm no member of the lucky few club but part of the majority.

17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

Completely wrong.

If software works for some it is no "reality" the problem must then be the user.

You can base this assumption on software that is working well for the majority.

When software is causing problems for the masses, it tells you the software is unstable.

Would you like to quote some figures from reputable sources that show how many are having problems and how many are not.

This argument has been going on for a long time, but I have yet to see the figures showing how many "the masses" are, and how many the "some" are.

I have a bit of a scientific mind, and if I see the figures I will accept the result.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

This was my reply to a thread about "class action lawsuit" for "poor project management" re MSFS 2020 (on flightsimulator.com), it represents my feeling generally about this "product" :

Agree with many of these individual complaints, as I was hit hard on 1.14.6.0, but in my opinion, this is a misjudgment. This is by no means an engineering-manufacturing project, it is a fluid creative-technical organism . I purchased the Premium Deluxe edition and a new gaming desktop setup in Aug 2020, with great anticipation. I’ve owned and enjoyed 5-6 different flight simulators since the mid-90’s. I find the learning process of MSFS 2020 stimulating. I did not expect “perfection” (whatever that is) at the onset. It is so immense and complex and evolving, that there will always be glitches. The great thing is that there is such a creative force behind this project, with ongoing interaction between the design leaders and the community (Developer Q & A video conferences), that there is continuous improvement and growth. I was disappointed in the degradation in performance in my system with 1.14.6.0, but I was able to solve some of these problems. At this point my continued satisfaction in engaging in this endeavor is well worth it. Thanks.:cool:

Edited by CBILL737

Would you like to quote some figures from reputable sources that show how many are having problems and how many are not.

This argument has been going on for a long time, but I have yet to see the figures showing how many "the masses" are, and how many the "some" are.

I have a bit of a scientific mind, and if I see the figures I will accept the result.

Hal

Read forums, any of them.

I’m simply tired of reading posts with people who have genuine issues with MSFS and the fanboys telling them because they themselves are not having the same problem it doesn’t exist.

Don’t bash other people if you have no idea how hardware and software works yourself.

Mark Daniels

Read forums, any of them.

I’m simply tired of reading posts with people who have genuine issues with MSFS and the fanboys telling them because they themselves are not having the same problem it doesn’t exist.

Don’t bash other people if you have no idea how hardware and software works yourself.

I don't recall bashing anyone. I simply wanted to know your source or numbers for your statements. And you should not make comments about people that you don't know (bashing strangers). Also, you have no idea what my knowledge level is regarding computers.

I may not be up to the standard you think you are at, but I know from years of writing computer code that the only thing constant in computing is the program code. Everyone running a particular piece of software is using the same program code. The variables are the hardware and the user. The software is not responsible for differences or faults in the hardware or the users.

I do read the forums, but you are forgetting something that I would imagine describes you as well as a lot of others. You must own many products that are in some way associated with forums. Is it your policy to go onto those forums and tell how good things work for you?

Yes, I run MSFS. No, it is not perfect on my system, but it is the same program code that everyone else runs, problems or not.

I just do not think, and my opinion only, that the vast majority of users are having the level of problems that you think they are.

If your are tired of reading the posts, why do you read them?

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

Several points.

In today's threads, two issues came up 1) an un controllable roll and 2) a stutter and CTD problem. The roll issue turned out to result from a mapping error of a joystick, and the CTD turned out to be a combination of insufficient storage space and a consequent failure to update Windows. Neither problem suggests instability in the program.

Second, I find it interesting while admonishing not to "bash" others, the OP addresses the forum participants as "fanboys", hmm?

Third, as a mature scientist in my 70s, I don't think the term "fanboy" really fits!

Fourth, You have not even run the program, so you have ZERO actual knowledge!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Second, I find it interesting while admonishing not to "bash" others, the OP addresses the forum participants as "fanboys", hmm?

I'm not the OP to start with.

I'd respond to everything but it'll just be a waste of time and likely get deleted.

Some games have what you can only call fanboys. Sorry, there is no other term appropriate.

I've been called a troll by these fanboys more than once so let's not pretend some of us are a little higher than others. lol

Ok, the game has no bugs or problems. Enjoy!

Mark Daniels

Here we go again. This thread repeats a pattern seen over and over, in which a serious discussion of issues in MSFS is hijacked by a particular individual with no actual experience in running the program, who makes ridiculous unsubstantiated charges -- e.g., that others are saying that MSFS has no problems (I have never once heard anyone say this) and -- worst of all -- is unfailingly negative. I am not aware that this person has ever made a single positive contribution to this or any other forum. Indeed the inevitable result in most of the discussions he infects is that it is terminated. Frankly, I am thoroughly fed up.

Here we go again. This thread repeats a pattern seen over and over, in which a serious discussion of issues in MSFS is hijacked by a particular individual with no actual experience in running the program, who makes ridiculous unsubstantiated charges -- e.g., that others are saying that MSFS has no problems (I have never once heard anyone say this) and -- worst of all -- is unfailingly negative. I am not aware that this person has ever made a single positive contribution to this or any other forum. Indeed the inevitable result in most of the discussions he infects is that it is terminated. Frankly, I am thoroughly fed up.

You are obsessed with me.

Not sure if I should be flattered or concerned. lol

Let me announce this for you:

I'm leaving the thread.

I'm leaving the MSFS forum.

Now what will you do???

If you ask nicely I may visit again.

Mark Daniels

floundy, well said.... I been doing the same over months of problems..... this week I took a really good luck at the gpu with yesterday having complete clarity for once ha and found a major issue with performance that has bugged me since the beginning in November... Over time I have hacked away at this that and the other and searched the forums, but nothing made a significant improvement on performance.... The problem was not Asobo or was it MSFS it was silly me! I had upgraded the dual bios on the gpu with the wrong bios oops now I'm getting the performance I should be getting from the card although it will never run in Ultra it's now ultra smooth in High End.... Now that's taken months to figure out and in all that time I have been chasing red herrings!!!! So I fully understand where you're coming from with this post......... Happy flying!! Sadly a lot of people are too use to being told what to do they never been taught how to think for themselves......

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz